Shooting clays from boat

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Shooting clays from boat

Post by Mag888 » 30 Oct 2020, 4:01 pm

Hi I've not been able to find an answer to this question anywhere and weapons licencing phonelines are closed until monday, so thought I'd ask here,

This is just hypethetical but what are the laws regarding shooting clays from a boat, eg if I anchored in a secluded bay and used a hand thrower would it be legal?
Would I have to be a certain distance off shore? Or just a complete no go?
After all its not public land?
Mag888
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Shooting clays from boat

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Nov 2020, 6:03 pm

Good question. Don’t know. Watching with interest.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 01 Nov 2020, 6:17 pm

Anyone a long way away who became aware of the shooting would not necessarily know u are useing birdshot ......for all they know you could be useing a 338 lapua ......I think recreational shooting is permitted on only private land or some public land with official permission
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2020, 9:23 pm

Mag888 wrote:Hi I've not been able to find an answer to this question anywhere and weapons licencing phonelines are closed until monday, so thought I'd ask here,

This is just hypethetical but what are the laws regarding shooting clays from a boat, eg if I anchored in a secluded bay and used a hand thrower would it be legal?
Would I have to be a certain distance off shore? Or just a complete no go?
After all its not public land?

I vaguely recall reading something prohibiting shooting from a moving boat, but _I think_ a moored boat is fine - check with your local Police as they're the people that would be responding to any complaints.

By "not public land" you are talking about doing this on private property? Is the water also within the private property or some sort of easement over public land?

It might also be a restriction on only using steel shot due to waterbirds???
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 01 Nov 2020, 10:07 pm

just head out into international waters and do as you please lol
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Nov 2020, 3:04 am

I think he’s talking about a coastal bay with no one around - or that’s where I wondered about it...
I’ve been out fishing on a calm day - fish aren’t biting snd thought - man it would be fun to blast a few clays...but sound travels over water like...for farkin miles lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bugman » 02 Nov 2020, 5:43 am

I guess they would have to change the name of the exercise from Clay Pigeon to maybe Clay Mullet?
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Mag888 » 02 Nov 2020, 11:14 am

By not public land
I mean the coral sea ie open ocean
We have a few marine park round here which I equate to the marine version of a state park
Ie no fishing ect but there's plenty of ocean not in the marine parks.
Obiously thinking biodegradable clays and non lead shot,
I'm going to give wl a ring this afternoon and ask them now their phone lines are back open.
I asked the same question to the president of the Qra and he couldn't provide an answer either
Mag888
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 04 Nov 2020, 7:40 am

I would expect that you'd have to be in privately owned or international waters to shoot clays from a boat near Queensland.

QLD license conditions permit long arm shooting only at approved ranges or on private land with permission, any state owned land is prohibited and I would expect state 'owned' water would be treated similarly and would be regarded as a 'public place'.
In international waters no QLD legislation would apply.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Nov 2020, 10:21 am

What a can of worms that opens!
I go with rc42 and would add that the "land/area" that you propose to shoot on/over is -.
What's the area zoned as - could be state forest, etc who actually owns it- private, state or federal . Also, could the activity be classed as "target shooting" and as such needs to be on an approved range.
Finally, would steel shot and bio-degradable wads be required and, would it be worth all the hassle?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 04 Nov 2020, 10:29 am

a lot of water is covered under federal/maritime law... marine parks come under state jurisdictions. would be a massive cluster fk to work out legalities to a point where you could comfortably get into it.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Nov 2020, 10:39 am

When I lived in bris I did a lot of fishing and I ve seen several larger boats - like Greg Normans type thing - off the coast - party going on and ppl shooting clays...maybe a k off shore of Brisbane.
I’ve seen ppl on shore in Tas having their shore based clay thrower, tossing clays into open water and shooting at those...obviously- no idea on legalities.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 05 Nov 2020, 10:15 am

What happens to the clays once you shoot them? If your in fnq youd likely have great barrier reef marine park guys chasing you for "littering" and endangering marine life
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Nov 2020, 12:18 pm

Good point farmer Pete. We tend to think of the legal ramifications first but who knows what broken clays might do under the see It’s not like u are dropping a ton of them under your boat but in modern times where us humans have put mega tons of garbage into our marine environments we should hesitate and think first before we drop a single cigarette butt overboard ....we owe it to the turtles and fish we have disrespected for far too long ....I hate littering ......200 lashes for dirty people Littering anywhere And another hundred lashes if you cry during the first 200
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Nov 2020, 12:31 pm

I shot about 3000 clays last year at my private - can barely find them now...they break down pretty fast on land at least...but I don’t know what they melt down into...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 05 Nov 2020, 12:42 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I shot about 3000 clays last year at my private - can barely find them now...they break down pretty fast on land at least...but I don’t know what they melt down into...

dust, literally, clay dust, cos yunno, clay
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Nov 2020, 1:00 pm

Paint is high vis orange ? So clay, yeah, deeerrr lol...but there must be other “agents”.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 05 Nov 2020, 1:59 pm

Are clays made of clay ? I thought they just called them clays. I thought they were made of plastic ...I have no idea. I might need to put my whip away and shut up
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 05 Nov 2020, 2:59 pm

I have never bought a clay Pidgeon with any other than fired clay and chalk paint/glazing on them, 100% biodegradable.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2020, 3:13 pm

Blr243 wrote:Are clays made of clay ? I thought they just called them clays. I thought they were made of plastic ...I have no idea. I might need to put my whip away and shut up

Generally made of pitch.
Surprisingly, it is known to be dangerous to dogs if they eat it.

People that make their own seem to prefer gypsum..
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2020, 3:14 pm

Ziege wrote:I have never bought a clay Pidgeon with any other than fired clay and chalk paint/glazing on them, 100% biodegradable.

Do you have a brand for these?
I don't like littering with the pitch ones but have been unable to find any moulds to make my own yet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2020, 3:16 pm

Ziege wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I shot about 3000 clays last year at my private - can barely find them now...they break down pretty fast on land at least...but I don’t know what they melt down into...

dust, literally, clay dust, cos yunno, clay

Clay targets are not made of clay, at least not generally. They're made of pitch, a byproduct of gasoline production.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2020, 3:17 pm

Blr243 wrote:Are clays made of clay ? I thought they just called them clays. I thought they were made of plastic ...I have no idea. I might need to put my whip away and shut up

You're essentially correct.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 05 Nov 2020, 3:24 pm

need I go out and photograph my box of clay/gypsum Pidgeon's? im sure there are many variants, either way they are made of products that break down in the elements.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2020, 3:31 pm

Ziege wrote:need I go out and photograph my box of clay/gypsum Pidgeon's? im sure there are many variants, either way they are made of products that break down in the elements.

No, if you tell me what they are I can order them myself.
I haven't yet been able to find any in Oz that are not pitch.
Are they clay or gypsum? These are two different things, gypsum is plaster, as used in plasterboard, clay is like bricks and roof tiles, very hard.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 05 Nov 2020, 3:39 pm

sold by sportsmarine, blank box except for "clay target" and on the rear lower tab has some numbers and batch info including clay,chalk,gypsym, I buy them cos theyre the cheapest ones here... the normal black/orange ones are about 15% more $

and I am more than aware what gypsum is. as a farmer and builder I need no lesson on minerals and soils.

I would lean on these being clay as they are heavier and dont travel as far out of the thrower as the name brand ones.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 05 Nov 2020, 3:45 pm

So next time my dog ( he’s a world champion free diver) and I are at the beach I have to make sure that he does not swim 2 k offshore and then dive down 57 metres to the bottom of the sea just in case there’s any left over bits of clay that he might ingest .....now I will have to keep him on a leash and he’ll never know why
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 05 Nov 2020, 3:52 pm

Blr243 wrote:So next time my dog ( he’s a world champion free diver) and I are at the beach I have to make sure that he does not swim 2 k offshore and then dive down 57 metres to the bottom of the sea just in case there’s any left over bits of clay that he might ingest .....now I will have to keep him on a leash and he’ll never know why

:crazy: :lol: :wtf: :P :lol: :lol:

I was wondering how the hell they worked that out... cos dunno bout everyone else's dog, but mine doesnt eat s**t like clays lol
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2020, 4:08 pm

Blr243 wrote:So next time my dog ( he’s a world champion free diver) and I are at the beach I have to make sure that he does not swim 2 k offshore and then dive down 57 metres to the bottom of the sea just in case there’s any left over bits of clay that he might ingest .....now I will have to keep him on a leash and he’ll never know why

I'm more concerned about other wildlife actually, if it's toxic for dogs then maybe it's just not a good thing to be leaving around in the bush.

Some of the garbage that I've seen dogs eating, pitch might actually be a delicacy :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 05 Nov 2020, 4:13 pm

in saying that, the clay club here is surrounded by bush on all sides. I used to run the archery range and bush course that goes all around behind where the clays land, there have never been any dead animals seen in the area. so I think its a pretty benign thing. a lot of Pitch is also derived from plant based sources, how vegan of them... but yeah I think there would be a much a to-do about it (like with lead) if they were a major issue...

Cruise ships all shoot clays off the deck
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws