Safe storage requirements QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Safe storage requirements QLD

Post by Nato » 22 Nov 2020, 9:54 pm

Hey guys.

New to the forum so hi :)

I have been reading through QLD gun laws and cannot seem to find my answer.

My question is. Can you keep your rifle bolt and ammunition in the same safe compartment.

I have hard much conflicting information from no you cannot, to as long as its in a seperate locked container inside the safe compartment to you can keep the bolt where the rifle is stored.

Can someone please clear this one up for me. I did not want to get in any trouble :)
Nato
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Safe storage requirements QLD

Post by Jakethefake » 09 Jan 2021, 10:32 pm

I'm a little confused on this point as well. There doesn't seem to be anything in the legislation that I can see that actually says the bolt has to be stored separately from the rifle. It is a major firearm part and has to be stored to the same standard as the firearm though, so I don't think it can be stored with the ammunition, which is dumb.

S94 (2) A person who possesses a weapon must, when the weapon is not in the person’s physical possession, store it unloaded in a locked container complying with subsections (5) and (6), with the weapon’s bolt removed or its action broken.

It says you can store the weapon with the bolt removed or the action broken. By my interpretation that means you can leave the bolt in a bolt action rifle, as long as the action is broken (i.e open). It doesn't seem to say anything about where removed bolts should be stored. It does make sense to keep the bolts separate if you can though, so if some thief carts your safe away the rifles won't be much use to them. Of course, there's plenty of firearms with no bolt or a bolt that can't be removed so its not helpful in that regard.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 09 Jan 2021, 10:44 pm

Bolts can be left in rifles as long as the action is left open, a chamber flag is a great idea as it removes any doubt that the action is open which is better for lever or break actions which will probably be left almost closed and will prevent them from being accidentally fully closed.

If removed, the bolts can be left in the same safe with the firearms but, as a major firearm part, must be in a safe which is of the same standard. No firearm parts should be stored with ammunition, including magazines which must be stored empty.

The action 'broken' is so that you can see before touching the firearm that it is unloaded and not capable of being accidentally discharged as it is picked up.

For travel to and from the range the same rules apply to the gun bag (secure container), bolts are usually removed from standard bolt action rifles but not from other types, chamber flags should be used, as should trigger locks. Trigger locks are required if you step out of the vehicle and lock it behind you, at which point you are no longer 'in possession' of the firearms.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by PastaofMuppets » 11 Mar 2021, 9:48 pm

rc42 wrote:Bolts can be left in rifles as long as the action is left open

Unfortunately, rc42 this isn't true.

I know you're looking at section 94.2 of the Weapons Regulations which says "with the weapon’s bolt removed or its action broken".

Legally this isn't an "either or", it's a "first or otherwise".

If opening the bolt was enough, there would be no need for the law to state "with the weapon's bolt removed", because the action would be broken already.

You must remove the bolt if it can be removed. Otherwise the action must be broken.

I've got this bloody thing where you just cant get the bolt out - so I use a cable lock to cover myself.

~PoM~
PastaofMuppets
Recruit
Recruit

-

Return to Queensland gun laws