Obtaining gun powder from a friend

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Obtaining gun powder from a friend

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Aug 2021, 11:20 am

straightshooter wrote:
northdude wrote:Just curious what happens if you spill or get powder contaminated and cant use it does someone need to be notified or anything....

Follow the same reporting procedures as when you consume powder in firing reloaded ammunition.

If your actual question is how to safely dispose of contaminated, decomposing or otherwise unusable powder then in the past there has been an acceptable method (1) and a somewhat less acceptable method (2).
1 Scatter the powder broadly over your lawn. Over time the powder will safely decompose and fertilise the grass in the same process. There is no danger from combustion due to the wide separation of the individual kernels of powder.
2 Pyrotechnic disposal in a safe wide open space with the powder placed in an open bowl.

One last thing to remember is to never ever use a vacuum cleaner to pick up spilled powder due to the possibility of static discharge ignition as the powder works it's way through the plastic parts of the vacuum cleaner.

This off topic but very good advice.

A good trick the industry uses is to attach a match to a stick, say 600mm long and use this to ignight the powder. Adds extra distance and therefore the safety margin.

I'm attaching a page out of one of the older ADI manuals. See point 8.

Resized_tempFileForShare_20210827-110956_30013753721326.jpeg
Resized_tempFileForShare_20210827-110956_30013753721326.jpeg (287.63 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 27 Aug 2021, 7:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Well, what is the point if both have a licence? Both can just buy it at any time.

Like 99% of all gun laws it has nothing to do with safety but everything to do with inconveniencing the LAFO.
I call it hassle factor .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Aug 2021, 7:27 pm

deye243 wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Well, what is the point if both have a licence? Both can just buy it at any time.

Like 99% of all gun laws it has nothing to do with safety but everything to do with inconveniencing the LAFO.
I call it hassle factor .

In this case I agree. Simply put, BS
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Queensland gun laws