Obtaining gun powder from a friend

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Obtaining gun powder from a friend

Post by Hoghunter73 » 08 Jan 2021, 10:33 am

Hi all,
Iam new to the sight & was woundering if i run out of powder to handload, is it legal to obtain powder from a fellow shooter if i cant get any from my local gunshop.???
Hoghunter73
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Obtaining gun powder from a friend

Post by Bugman » 08 Jan 2021, 2:17 pm

Can't answer for QLD but have spotted some of my fellow club members with powder when it was required but only to persons known to me to be able to reload with it correctly, store it correctly and have the appropriate licence for the that type of ammunition. In the end it is still my responsibility.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jan 2021, 3:00 pm

Evrytim I buy powder in q I sign th book. So as soon as I sell it on th govt no longer know s who has what
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2021, 3:22 pm

Blr243 wrote:Evrytim I buy powder in q I sign th book. So as soon as I sell it on th govt no longer know s who has what

Didn't know powder sales were recorded up there, interesting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 08 Jan 2021, 3:32 pm

Yes mate very much so. Powder quantity recorded on a register against your firearms license number.
Last edited by JimTom on 08 Jan 2021, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jan 2021, 3:50 pm

I think after u reach a certain amount of powder in a time frame u might get a knock on the door to explain , just in case u are up to mischief
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 08 Jan 2021, 3:51 pm

I expect that is the case mate, be interesting to know they consider a reasonable amount prior to raising some suspicions.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 08 Jan 2021, 4:32 pm

Back to the OP question....mate I am unaware of any law (doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist) that prohibits lending your mate some powder. If you are licensed and are allowed to be in possession of said propellant, I would be surprised if they questioned where you got it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 08 Jan 2021, 6:47 pm

In QLD... NO

In order to sell ammunition or explosives in Queensland you need to be licensed and for powder you need to keep detailed records of the amounts sold by recording firearms AND drivers licenses (or other ID), for small arms ammunition, primers and powder a firearms dealers license covers this.

If you have a firearms license you can only purchase, store and use those items, you can't sell them on or even give them away, the only exception is that you can hand them in to the police or a dealer for destruction.

The reality is that mates lend and give each other such things regularly and I've never heard of a prosecution resulting from it so if you do give powder to a licensed friend you're almost certain to have no issues but it is illegal and you are risking a firearms related offence on your record, the same would apply to your friend when returning the favor.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 08 Jan 2021, 7:08 pm

Well there you go. I stand corrected. I know you can’t on sell it however I didn’t know borrowing a cup of 2208 was illegal.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 08 Jan 2021, 7:09 pm

Yet you can lend a firearm to a licensed friend. Go figure.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Jakethefake » 09 Jan 2021, 9:41 pm

rc42 wrote:In QLD... NO

In order to sell ammunition or explosives in Queensland you need to be licensed and for powder you need to keep detailed records of the amounts sold by recording firearms AND drivers licenses (or other ID), for small arms ammunition, primers and powder a firearms dealers license covers this.

I

I see people in QLD selling powder and ammunition on used guns all the time. If it is illegal its obviously not very strictly enforced.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 10 Jan 2021, 9:35 am

I had a friend once that stated making these silly cannons on his lathe . Then later he asked me to get him some black powder . I said no way mate you don't have a license . I tried to explain to him that I stood to loose much more than him but he got quite dirty about it .
I thought he would come round eventually and see the situation but he never did , so I told he to F off and don't come back .
The license holder and gun owner stand to loose way more than the person without a license or a gun to loose , so don't get sucked in .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jan 2021, 1:16 pm

I n the construction industry I get asked to do Quick dodgy repairs on landings Handrail and stairs by people who don’t want to spend money. I explain to them I’m too soft for jail if somebody dies...if they persist I never get rattled enough to sware at them because I just walk away
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 10 Jan 2021, 4:05 pm

JohnV wrote:I had a friend once that stated making these silly cannons on his lathe . Then later he asked me to get him some black powder . I said no way mate you don't have a license . I tried to explain to him that I stood to loose much more than him but he got quite dirty about it .
I thought he would come round eventually and see the situation but he never did , so I told he to F off and don't come back .
The license holder and gun owner stand to loose way more than the person without a license or a gun to loose , so don't get sucked in .

Mate I don’t think we are taking about obtaining controlled items for non licensed people. My understanding is the OP was asking if he had run out can he borrow some off his mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 11 Jan 2021, 8:01 am

But no mention of any license so my post is relevant just in case .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JimTom » 11 Jan 2021, 11:50 am

Yep fair enough.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Hoghunter73 » 11 Jan 2021, 2:33 pm

Thanks all for the info, & yes we are both licensed, but as im reading all the comments its probably better to be safe then sorry, so i will just wait till the shop gets some more in, iv got other loads i can still build on, so yeah thanks again for the info all...
Hoghunter73
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by PastaofMuppets » 02 Feb 2021, 5:57 pm

Hoghunter73 wrote:Hi all,
Iam new to the sight & was woundering if i run out of powder to handload, is it legal to obtain powder from a fellow shooter if i cant get any from my local gunshop.???

This thread is turning in to a battle of the opinions :lol:

So here's the answer and why...

It is not legal to give someone an explosive in Queensland.

It used to be, but that changed in 2007 by a change to the explosives law made by a mining law.

Section 41 of the Explosives Act (https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/act-1999-015#sec.41) states "A person must not sell an explosive unless the person holds an authority that authorises the person to sell the explosive."

Sell wouldn't normally include giving something to someone, but as I mentioned above this was changed for explosives in 2007 when the meaning of sell was changed (in the Dictionary of the Act - https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/act-1999-015#sch.2) to include:

"supply in another way, including by gift or exchange"

Hope this helps clear this up everyone.

-MOP
PastaofMuppets
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2021, 4:25 pm

Well, what is the point if both have a licence? Both can just buy it at any time.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Macross » 08 Feb 2021, 1:32 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Well, what is the point if both have a licence? Both can just buy it at any time.

Even though you can both legally purchase powder from a licensed seller, they dont allow you to sell to one another because there is no record then of who purchased what amount and when. Buying from the LGS means the sale is recorded in their log book.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2021, 1:37 pm

Macross Had forgotten about that.
If I recall correctly in Vic only large quantities are recorded. (Its been a while.) e.g 5kg. The 2k of primers i bought were recorded but if I get 500g of powder never noticed them record it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by str8shutr » 17 Aug 2021, 9:39 pm

Thanks for this.

I see that for Qld, ammunition is covered under the definition of an explosive. So, that also can't be given away.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 18 Aug 2021, 8:55 am

Would it be illegal to "go halves" in a tub of powder? Thought that would possibly be one way around the issue.

"I didn't sell it to him, we went halves in it"
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 18 Aug 2021, 2:31 pm

In QLD, we still can't do that.

The person whose name and ID details that goes in the powder sales register is the one who bought the powder and they can't give away / sell / transfer any of that powder to anyone else, even if they borrowed the money to buy it.

The same rules apply to ammunition even though there's no name in a register so it gets even more stupid.
For example, if you are at the range and let another licensed shooter use your firearm, then have you broken the law if it was your ammunition and not theirs?
What if they give you a couple of reloaded rounds to try right then and there? Can you accept them?

For both scenarios, no doubt it happens all of the time but is most likely not legal with the way legislation is currently written.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 23 Aug 2021, 7:41 pm

Surly a competent magistrate could make a ruling? Or is the law that well written there's no room for interpretation or applying circumstances?
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 27 Aug 2021, 6:52 am

Just curious what happens if you spill or get powder contaminated and cant use it does someone need to be notified or anything....
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by straightshooter » 27 Aug 2021, 8:01 am

northdude wrote:Just curious what happens if you spill or get powder contaminated and cant use it does someone need to be notified or anything....

Follow the same reporting procedures as when you consume powder in firing reloaded ammunition.

If your actual question is how to safely dispose of contaminated, decomposing or otherwise unusable powder then in the past there has been an acceptable method (1) and a somewhat less acceptable method (2).
1 Scatter the powder broadly over your lawn. Over time the powder will safely decompose and fertilise the grass in the same process. There is no danger from combustion due to the wide separation of the individual kernels of powder.
2 Pyrotechnic disposal in a safe wide open space with the powder placed in an open bowl.

One last thing to remember is to never ever use a vacuum cleaner to pick up spilled powder due to the possibility of static discharge ignition as the powder works it's way through the plastic parts of the vacuum cleaner.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 27 Aug 2021, 8:12 am

ok no idea what your procedures are over there. We don't have restrictions on it here. Do you need to keep some kind of record on how much ammo you reload and fire off?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by disco stu » 27 Aug 2021, 11:05 am

northdude wrote:ok no idea what your procedures are over there. We don't have restrictions on it here. Do you need to keep some kind of record on how much ammo you reload and fire off?

I believe straight shooter is somewhat tongue in cheek saying that you don't need to report how many rounds you shoot, so no need to report where you have spilt your powder. Only record on purchasing
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws