12 month wait for 2nd handgun

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

12 month wait for 2nd handgun

Post by queeg730 » 24 Jan 2021, 3:32 pm

Hi folks, newbie here, so I hope this is in the correct forum thread, and that I have explained my issue properly.

I am currently waiting for my collectors license (22 weeks so far, so should come through soon), and I have a particular historic pistol already paid for and sitting in the LGS.
Being a collectors item, and on a collectors license, this firearm will NOT be a shooter.

My question relates to the 12 month wait for a second firearm on a new Cat H sporting/rec license, since I have also joined a pistol club and am just about to submit my application for the normal Cat H sporting/rec license for ISSF competition shoots.

Considering that I will have a collectors firearm & license, and hopefully the normal Cat H sporting license, can I also get a 22LRF pistol without having to wait for the 12 months period, as would generally be the case for the 1st year of Cat H license? (the 22LRF would be the only "shooting/competition" firearm, if that makes sense).

A secondary but related question would be..... considering that I should have the collectors license BEFORE applying for the normal Cat H sports/rec license, would I still have to wait the full 6 months or so, for the sports/rec license to come through?

Thanks all,
Mike
queeg730
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: 12 month wait for 2nd handgun

Post by Chinballs » 05 Feb 2021, 10:27 pm

queeg730 wrote:Considering that I will have a collectors firearm & license, and hopefully the normal Cat H sporting license, can I also get a 22LRF pistol without having to wait for the 12 months period, as would generally be the case for the 1st year of Cat H license? (the 22LRF would be the only "shooting/competition" firearm, if that makes sense).

I would say yes. They are two seperate licenses and the condition of one firearm in the first twelve months is specific to firearms registered to your target license. There are no such restrictions on your collector license.

A secondary but related question would be..... considering that I should have the collectors license BEFORE applying for the normal Cat H sports/rec license, would I still have to wait the full 6 months or so, for the sports/rec license to come through?

Thanks all,
Mike

Yes, you will still have to wait. As I said, they are two seperate licenses and one has no affect on the other. The only step you bypass is you won't need a QP515 Statement of Eligibility before joining the pistol club.

Also, I wouldn't expect to get your collector license any time soon. It took them 32 weeks just to approve my Form4b change of conditions on my Collector license. Every PTA I did pre COVID also took three months. I expect the one I lodged in December to take six. Luckily for me I pay no storage fees (friends with a dealer). I shudder to think how much it would have cost me to store my collector firearms whilst waiting for PTAs.

What gun have you bought? I have a Colt Officer's ACP I'm waiting on a PTA for.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by queeg730 » 06 Feb 2021, 8:48 pm

Chinballs wrote:
Yes, you will still have to wait. As I said, they are two seperate licenses and one has no affect on the other. The only step you bypass is you won't need a QP515 Statement of Eligibility before joining the pistol club.

Also, I wouldn't expect to get your collector license any time soon. It took them 32 weeks just to approve my Form4b change of conditions on my Collector license. Every PTA I did pre COVID also took three months. I expect the one I lodged in December to take six. Luckily for me I pay no storage fees (friends with a dealer). I shudder to think how much it would have cost me to store my collector firearms whilst waiting for PTAs.

What gun have you bought? I have a Colt Officer's ACP I'm waiting on a PTA for.

Hi Chinballs, and thanks for your reply...
I am waiting for the collectors license for a Mauser C96 Broomhandle.... I'm in to the 24th week of waiting now..
Also coming up to the 6 month period of pistol club membership, so will be applying for the normal sports/target license in a couple of weeks time (which explains my secondary question).
This has been a terribly frustrating process..... don't know when it will all end! :crazy:
queeg730
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 14 May 2021, 7:28 pm

Hi all,
I’ve been trying to find some info on this without calling weapons licensing but no luck so far.
I would like to know how this 12 months wait time is applied. Is it from the date your cat H licence was issued (ie email confirmation date) or is it from the date your first handgun was purchased or is it from the date your first handgun pta was approved? Also how long is a handgun pta vaild for? I want to be sure to get my pta in as soon as possible to reduce any delay and work out when to get my club letter done.
thanks
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws