CAT H 6 month probation

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

CAT H 6 month probation

Post by JesseW97 » 09 Feb 2021, 3:51 pm

Hay there guys next month marks my last month of my 6 month probation since I joined a pistol club. I was just wondering what the process is once it hits the day my probation is up I have done a lot more than the minimal 3 shoots at a range which have all been recorded on my papers, so on the day do I just apply for my CAT H licence or is there something I have to do prior to applying (example: sending in my participation papers to the pistol club I joined)?

Cheers, hope to hear back from yous soon.
Regards, JesseW97.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: CAT H 6 month probation

Post by rc42 » 09 Feb 2021, 5:53 pm

At 6 months (plus 1 day) you can visit your club to get a club support letter (form QP518A) for your license application.
A scan of that needs to be included in your license application along with your photo ID, safety course certificate, participation card for the probation period and any A/B license details.

Once all that is submitted you will have the license application reference number that you can take to the club to get a PTA support letter for your pistol of choice, no rush on that though as the license approval could take 6 months.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 09 Feb 2021, 6:23 pm

rc42 wrote:At 6 months (plus 1 day) you can visit your club to get a club support letter (form QP518A) for your license application.
A scan of that needs to be included in your license application along with your photo ID, safety course certificate, participation card for the probation period and any A/B license details.

Once all that is submitted you will have the license application reference number that you can take to the club to get a PTA support letter for your pistol of choice, no rush on that though as the license approval could take 6 months.

Thank you for your response, can "form QP518A" be gathered via email? Im with Shooters union pistol club.
edit: Ive got everything else available that you listed (photo ID, safety course certificate, participation card for the probation period and any A/B license details.)
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 09 Feb 2021, 9:58 pm

That would be a question for them to answer but I suspect yes.
My application was through SSAA so I visited the office and got a hand written copy of the form

It contains your name, address, date of birth and the name of the approving club representative and club details plus your start date with the club.
They need to sign off that you have completed your minimum 3 shoots so will need to see a copy of your attendance card too.

Exciting times, moving from one stage of long wait to the next one ;)
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Macross » 10 Feb 2021, 1:17 pm

The nicest part is when you stop hemorrhaging so much cash on club ammo. If you dont already, start looking into reloading. Bench rest rifles dont seem to burn through a tenth of what pistols do.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Feb 2021, 3:21 pm

Macross wrote:The nicest part is when you stop hemorrhaging so much cash on club ammo. If you dont already, start looking into reloading. Bench rest rifles dont seem to burn through a tenth of what pistols do.

Usually costs me $90 for a standard pistol match :/ I usually have 20 odd rounds remaining.
Member-Deleted

Post by JesseW97 » 10 Feb 2021, 4:00 pm

Macross wrote:The nicest part is when you stop hemorrhaging so much cash on club ammo. If you dont already, start looking into reloading. Bench rest rifles dont seem to burn through a tenth of what pistols do.

Im interested in learning but ive watched a lot of videos on how to do it and it just seems complicated and the chance you can screw up the process and load the rounds to hot ive been told they can make your guns go boom and possibly your hand with it haha. As for ammo I just picked up 500 rounds of 9mm for $165 and 500 rounds of 38 special for $190 and it only costs me $22 to go and shoot as many rounds as I want (usually 50 of each). I keep all the spent brass of the 38 special as its usually not that cheap like the deal I got and whatever 9mm I scrounge up off the floor of the range. Its easy for me to keep all the 38 special as I shoot it from a revolver I just dump the spent shells straight back into the box it comes in.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Feb 2021, 5:56 pm

JesseW97 wrote:

Im interested in learning but ive watched a lot of videos on how to do it and it just seems complicated and the chance you can screw up the process and load the rounds to hot ive been told they can make your guns go boom and possibly your hand with it haha. As for ammo I just picked up 500 rounds of 9mm for $165 and 500 rounds of 38 special for $190 and it only costs me $22 to go and shoot as many rounds as I want (usually 50 of each). I keep all the spent brass of the 38 special as its usually not that cheap like the deal I got and whatever 9mm I scrounge up off the floor of the range. Its easy for me to keep all the 38 special as I shoot it from a revolver I just dump the spent shells straight back into the box it comes in.

500 rounds of 9mm for $190? Damn, nice find.
Member-Deleted

Post by JesseW97 » 10 Feb 2021, 7:05 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
JesseW97 wrote:

500 rounds of 9mm for $190? Damn, nice find.

Na 500 rounds of 9mm for $165 and 500 rounds of 38 special for $190.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 10 Feb 2021, 8:26 pm

Reloading isn't too bad to get into, as long as you can read a scale to set up the powder dispenser and don't double load any cases its a safe and easy process and cuts ammo costs in half if you already have the brass.

BangWhizzClack wrote:Usually costs me $90 for a standard pistol match :/ I usually have 20 odd rounds remaining.

WTF...is that gold plated ammo?
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 10 Feb 2021, 8:46 pm

rc42 wrote:Browning branded 9mm and 38 Special, both only in FMJ so not usable at many (possibly most) ranges.

WTF...is that gold plated ammo?[/quote]

Guess im lucky my range allows it haha.

That comment about gold plated ammo made me laugh more than it should lol
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Feb 2021, 1:36 am

Unfortunately not, it's PPU, cost of range entry is $15, so 100 rounds costs me $75, or $375 for 500 rounds. Low grain as well.
Member-Deleted

Post by JesseW97 » 11 Feb 2021, 10:24 am

BangWhizzClack wrote:Unfortunately not, it's PPU, cost of range entry is $15, so 100 rounds costs me $75, or $375 for 500 rounds. Low grain as well.

Dear lord your range charges an arm and a leg for PPU. Are you not allowed to bring your own rounds?
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 11 Feb 2021, 12:14 pm

JesseW97 wrote:Dear lord your range charges an arm and a leg for PPU. Are you not allowed to bring your own rounds?

Our club requires club ammo for club guns for insurance/liability issues.

Too many people are scum and try to bring unknown reloads in factory boxes and when the gun blows up it is a nightmare.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Feb 2021, 12:29 pm

I use the club guns, I buy the club ammo, I don't know if I have to, I know that any ammo used cannot go past a certain amount of power, so 9mm has a maximum grain, I don't know what it is, so I just play it safe and buy club ammo. I'd probably be better off asking the question, I'm sure my bank account will thank me.
Member-Deleted

Return to Queensland gun laws