Category H - Licence and PTA wait times.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Category H - Licence and PTA wait times.

Post by JesseW97 » 23 Mar 2021, 6:00 pm

hay guys so after a long 6 months +1 day ive finally gotten everything I need and have applied for my CAT H licence and PTA for a 9mm Semi-auto. Just wondering if any has any info on the current waiting times for CAT H Licence and PTAs? On a side note my first pistol is going to be a CZ P09 just wanted some opinions on that particular pistol.

(Was going to get a glock for my first pistol but I have been shooting glocks for over a year now and wanted to try something else. The instructors at the range I go to recommended getting a CZ.)

Cheers, hope to hear back from you soon.
Regards, JesseW97.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Category H - Licence and PTA wait times.

Post by rc42 » 23 Mar 2021, 6:31 pm

License and PTA for 'H' run concurrently so the PTA will be through a couple of days after the license.
The license itself seems to vary between 4 and 8 months for most people for no particular reason, I think the WLB website still mentions waiting 20 weeks before contacting them about progress. We could do with more people posting updates in the main thread.

CZ make nice pistols and one great thing about QLD laws is the 'like for like' swap at dealers so you can exchange your pistol for a different 9mm semi-auto during that first year when it's the only powder pistol you can possess.

No matter what model was signed off on your club approval letter your PTA will only specify 9mm semi-auto so you can actually purchase any pistol with that caliber and action when your license and PTA finally come through, it's very likely that you will change your mind several times between now and then.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 23 Mar 2021, 6:35 pm

rc42 wrote:License and PTA for 'H' run concurrently so the PTA will be through a couple of days after the license.
The license itself seems to vary between 4 and 8 months for most people for no particular reason, I think the WLB website still mentions waiting 20 weeks before contacting them about progress. We could do with more people posting updates in the main thread.

CZ make nice pistols and one great thing about QLD laws is the 'like for like' swap at dealers so you can exchange your pistol for a different 9mm semi-auto during that first year when it's the only powder pistol you can possess.

No matter what model was signed off on your club approval letter your PTA will only specify 9mm semi-auto so you can actually purchase any pistol with that caliber and action when your license and PTA finally come through, it's very likely that you will change your mind several times between now and then.

Appreciate the reply, I got my A/B Licence last year which took ages so im used to the long ass wait times although I hate it haha. On a side note, am I able to purchase the weapon before I have the PTA so it will be ready for when my licence/PTA comes through or do I have to wait until the PTA is faxed?
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 23 Mar 2021, 7:43 pm

Yes, you can buy anything you want to, even a Cat D, but can't take it out of the store till you have the correct license and PTA.

Check the T&Cs for the dealer, they may charge you storage if you don't collect your 'property' within a specific timeframe, they might give you a couple of months from the date they receive it and charge $50 per month or more after that.
One option is to wait for the PTA and either get your chosen model or just anything that they have second hand and then 'like for like' it later with minimal loss.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 23 Mar 2021, 7:46 pm

Alright, no worries. I'll send them an email tomorrow asking about stock levels and what they charge to store them there.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 23 Mar 2021, 11:42 pm

Enjoy a month or two 'window shopping' and ideally trying out similar pistols at the range, I lasted a month before placing my order, the dealer received it after another month and I then had to wait 4 months before collecting it.
To make things worse, this was when Covid had kicked in and all of the ranges were closed so it had to sit in the safe unused for yet another 2 months.

Hope the wait goes quickly for you but I remember it as time dragging on more than it has ever done before.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 24 Mar 2021, 8:46 am

rc42 wrote:Enjoy a month or two 'window shopping' and ideally trying out similar pistols at the range, I lasted a month before placing my order, the dealer received it after another month and I then had to wait 4 months before collecting it.
To make things worse, this was when Covid had kicked in and all of the ranges were closed so it had to sit in the safe unused for yet another 2 months.

Hope the wait goes quickly for you but I remember it as time dragging on more than it has ever done before.

Oh damn that would of sucked, TBH I wouldnt mind and going to shoot my rifle its been a while but honestly ive never taken it to a range I take it up to a mates property thats like 3 hours away but I rarely get the chance to go. Ive got over 300 rounds ready for my rifle haha. The idea of paying to shoot for an hour or two kind of sucks and the rules seem super strict at least for SSAA Brisbane range.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by PastaofMuppets » 24 Mar 2021, 9:02 am

rc42 wrote:No matter what model was signed off on your club approval letter your PTA will only specify 9mm semi-auto so you can actually purchase any pistol with that caliber and action when your license and PTA finally come through, it's very likely that you will change your mind several times between now and then.

Unless you state the Make/Model on your application.

So, in short, don't. :lol:

PoM
PastaofMuppets
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by JesseW97 » 24 Mar 2021, 9:30 am

PastaofMuppets wrote:
rc42 wrote:No matter what model was signed off on your club approval letter your PTA will only specify 9mm semi-auto so you can actually purchase any pistol with that caliber and action when your license and PTA finally come through, it's very likely that you will change your mind several times between now and then.

Unless you state the Make/Model on your application.

So, in short, don't. :lol:

PoM

There wasnt an option to to put the make/model on the PTA just the caliber, action etc... the club approval letter I did have to include the make/model though.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Mar 2021, 5:32 pm

The paper application PTA form can be completed with make/model/serial but the online form doesn't include that if you select a dealer as the seller, it's only used for private sales.
The PTA will only state caliber/action and maximum magazine capacity of 10 so can be used for any pistol that matches it at a dealer, plus you can 'like for like' swap it for any other pistol that matches that specification at any time after that so the model listed on the club support form is largely meaningless.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws