PTA wait time in QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Barrettmr » 15 Nov 2021, 3:30 pm

Placed a Cat B on the 2/11, approval came today 15/11. The fastest that I have ever had.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by roadblock » 16 Nov 2021, 10:42 pm

Lodged cat B application 18 October, email received 19 October advising that the PTA will be approved on 17 November. Tomorrow's the day!.. hopefully. Is this normal or are others still seeing approved PTAs in less than 28 days?
roadblock
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 18 Nov 2021, 8:42 am

roadblock wrote:Lodged cat B application 18 October, email received 19 October advising that the PTA will be approved on 17 November. Tomorrow's the day!.. hopefully. Is this normal or are others still seeing approved PTAs in less than 28 days?

Is this your first firearm? By law the first firearm acquisition has a 28 day waiting period. Weapons licensing is slack reading their form 10s and can take 6 months or more to update their records. So if you put in a few form 28s within a few months of getting your licence then their records will still show you as not having acquired a firearm and will still have to wait the 28 days.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by roadblock » 18 Nov 2021, 8:52 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
Is this your first firearm? By law the first firearm acquisition has a 28 day waiting period. Weapons licensing is slack reading their form 10s and can take 6 months or more to update their records. So if you put in a few form 28s within a few months of getting your licence then their records will still show you as not having acquired a firearm and will still have to wait the 28 days.

It is the first PTA for a new firearm since getting my license back. I let it lapse about 15 years ago.

I put in a bunch of PTAs right after my license application to transfer my firearms from my father's register. These PTAs were approved and received within a couple of days of receiving my license. I'd say you're on the money though.

Just very frustrating as I've ordered the new rifle from Brisbane and had a couple of opportunities to pick it up since it went in but now won't be travelling down there for ages and will likely need to get it posted.
roadblock
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 18 Nov 2021, 9:06 am

As soon as you get your first firearm in your physical possession than you can ring them and tell them and maybe they will waive the 28 day period if you have other permits waiting.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 18 Nov 2021, 12:54 pm

When WLB receive a PTA application and (eventually) approve it they will check the registry database for that licensee, if there are no firearms listed they will apply an additional 28 day waiting period.
However, the legislation only requires that the licensee have a firearm under their license, it does not mention the out of date and poorly maintained registry that WLB use.

If you send WLB copies of your existing acquisition/disposal forms that you got from the dealer when previous firearms were attached to your license it will prove that they cannot lawfully apply an additional 28 day waiting period. If you are polite they should waive it for you but if you are an ass they will just take 28 days to respond to you.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 01 Dec 2021, 12:50 pm

Cat A PTA application, 11/11/21 approval email 1/12/21
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage A22R Pro Varmint - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Howa 1500 VT Fluted - .308
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wildcat » 02 Dec 2021, 10:36 pm

Cat H. 8 weeks, told 10-12. Week 12, told 16. Week 16, told 18-20. Week 20, told 20-22. Week 22, spat the dummy, told, "if you don't like it sir, you can always retract your application". Week 24 finally approved received week 25. What a friggin joke.
Put one in on the 26/11. Let's see how this one flys.
Wildcat
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 07 Dec 2021, 6:10 pm

Cat H PTA submitted 20/11
Approved 7/12

Still around the 2 week mark, so happy enough with that.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by qld33 » 02 Mar 2022, 3:23 pm

Applied for a Cat B yesterday, got it email approved today but they said I have to wait a month. Already had a Cat A approved 6months ago so this is a pretty hopeless "system".
Might as well email them the proof like above just incase I get lucky and they read it, or it can help boost their complaint stats.
qld33
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 09 Mar 2022, 7:50 pm

Chinballs wrote:Post '47 Cat H Collector PTA

Applied: September 27
Email approval: October 14
PTA received: Not yet, normally takes a couple of weeks
Me: Stunned :o

My previous PTAs for Collector stuff have all taken around three months whether they were pre or post '47 firearms.

Just an update on this. As I should have known, my PTA was not actually approved after two weeks :cry:

After my supposedly approved PTA didn't turn up I got around to ringing Weapons (about four weeks after the approval email was sent) and asked what the go was. Got told the approval email had been sent in error and that the application was with the authorised officer. Annoying, but not exactly unexpected. As I said in my previous post, all my other collector PTAs have normally taken about three months to be approved.

I rang them this week and said it's now been five months and asked what the go was. Old mate put me on hold to check the file notes and after a few minutes came back and said he'd approve it now and I'd get the approval email later that day. Sure enough, five minutes later my PTA was approved and should turn up next week.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by qld33 » 15 Mar 2022, 2:16 pm

qld33 wrote:Applied for a Cat B yesterday, got it email approved today but they said I have to wait a month. Already had a Cat A approved 6months ago so this is a pretty hopeless "system".
Might as well email them the proof like above just incase I get lucky and they read it, or it can help boost their complaint stats.

My nice email and proof of previous firearm was sent, got the auto reply saying they will try to reply in 28 days :lol:
But received a call the next day saying all good moved to check and got it in post a few days later, pretty impressive cant complain with that outcome!
qld33
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Hughie » 17 Mar 2022, 12:35 am

Have held my AB licence for 11 years. After many years put my first ever “online” PTA in for a cat A 9/3.

Deadset why cat A PTA’s aren’t auto accepted by now is beyond me. One step forward two steps back in this state.
Hughie
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tillaan » 25 Mar 2022, 3:32 pm

qld33 wrote:Applied for a Cat B yesterday, got it email approved today but they said I have to wait a month. Already had a Cat A approved 6months ago so this is a pretty hopeless "system".

Likely too late now to matter, but from memory you have to wait the 28 days for each class. (A,B & H).

Put in a Cat H today so see how long it takes!
Tillaan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Hughie » 28 Mar 2022, 11:04 pm

Hughie wrote:Have held my AB licence for 11 years. After many years put my first ever “online” PTA in for a cat A 9/3.

Deadset why cat A PTA’s aren’t auto accepted by now is beyond me. One step forward two steps back in this state.

Keeps getting better:
Nearly 3 weeks after lodging cat a pta get an email today stating that I didn’t give enough information. :unknown:

Further down they state that their “checks” have revealed that I have moved 1000km away and didn’t inform them and that I can potentially lose my licence for that. That I need to send them a copy of my drivers licence or rates notice etc for id with my address plus storage and mail address.

Made sure to let me know it was my duty to abide by the legislation! :evil: :thumbsdown:

I literally only renewed my licence 3 weeks ago, which has been approved and mailed out. I have lived in the same house for over 30 years and haven’t been near the town of this “new” address in probably 20 years.

Makes you wonder how screwed up their registry actually is.
Seriously thinking about forwarding a copy to the shooter union and letting them know.

What an outfit, seriously can’t make this crap up.
Hughie
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 01 Apr 2022, 10:33 am

I bought a new rifle I'm July 2021 and traded a rifle at the same time.
Even after emailing weapons branch about it I have yet to receive am updated weapons list.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 01 Apr 2022, 12:03 pm

You don't normally receive updated weapons lists in QLD after each acquisition or disposal.
I'm not even sure they'll send you one on request, you'd need to phone them to ask as they might not respond to your email.
I think you might get one on license renewal but haven't done one of those yet.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 02 Apr 2022, 9:45 pm

Yeah, I needed a weapons list for overseas travel once and they weren't exactly rushing to get me one. It was a bit of a problem as I needed one issued within a certain timeframe to get my Customs paperwork in order. If you need one ring them and tell them why you need it. If it's just because you want one don't expect it to arrive any time soon.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 07 Apr 2022, 4:21 pm

24 Hour turn around on Cat A PTA. Had the same on a Cat B PTA a few months back.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 10 Apr 2022, 7:54 pm

25 hour turn around on a Cat B today, submitted 3pm on Sat and email approval 4pm today (Sun).

I actually wasn't in a hurry for it and was actually planning to wait a few weeks and think about which firearm to get in that time.
Damn those WLB people, they've messed up my plans (/s)
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Hughie » 14 Apr 2022, 1:23 pm

Cat A PTAs submitted:

8/3 - still waiting

18/3 - still waiting

1/4 - approved 14/4

:unknown:
Hughie
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tillaan » 14 Apr 2022, 3:54 pm

Cat H

Applied 25/3
Got approval email 11/4
Tillaan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 May 2022, 6:10 pm

Application for cat b may 6. Email atrrived at dealer may 20
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 May 2022, 6:11 pm

Application for cat b may 6. Email atrrived at dealer may 20
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tillaan » 24 May 2022, 12:10 pm

Cat B application

Logged 11.24am 23/5
Email approved 12:05pm 24/5

quite surprised!
Tillaan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 01 Jun 2022, 4:05 pm

Faster than usual processing for a Cat H class B revolver for me.

Submitted Fri 20th May, approved Wed 1st June so under 2 weeks
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by swilso » 17 Jun 2022, 8:40 am

Cat H
Applied: 2/6/22
Email approval: 14/6/22 (12 days)
swilso
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 05 Jul 2022, 9:38 am

If I submitted at PTA 6 months ago (while my licence was still processing) when does the 28 day waiting period start? My licence was approved around 2 weeks ago.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jul 2022, 11:17 am

I think in q they are approved same time but pta time can b very variable Once you have your physical licence in your hand , you should have a pta email approval within 30 days , if not. Make a phone call
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 05 Jul 2022, 11:52 am

Pighunter wrote:If I submitted at PTA 6 months ago (while my licence was still processing) when does the 28 day waiting period start? My licence was approved around 2 weeks ago.

The 28 day PTA wait time starts when you submit the PTA, it runs concurrently with your license application and should be triggered for processing once your license is approved.
However, that doesn't always happen so I'd suggest a polite call to WLB with your PTA reference number just to check that it's in the correct queue to be processed and not still on hold.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws