PTA wait time in QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Pighunter » 05 Jul 2022, 1:26 pm

rc42 wrote:
Pighunter wrote:If I submitted at PTA 6 months ago (while my licence was still processing) when does the 28 day waiting period start? My licence was approved around 2 weeks ago.

The 28 day PTA wait time starts when you submit the PTA, it runs concurrently with your license application and should be triggered for processing once your license is approved.
However, that doesn't always happen so I'd suggest a polite call to WLB with your PTA reference number just to check that it's in the correct queue to be processed and not still on hold.

It has been listed as approved at the same time as my licence, I haven't heard from my LGS yet however (My licence hasn't arrived so I'm not concerned with it yet) But I'm interested to see if WLB sent it to the dealer or if they just mailed it to me as I have heard of them just doing whatever sometimes.
Thank you for your response rc42
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jul 2022, 2:32 pm

In my experience the store email me to let me know they have it. I can’t imagine they would get slack about this because usually when u go into gun shop to collect your pta you also have a fistful of dollars to spend in their store
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 05 Jul 2022, 6:00 pm

Yeah no order. I was just gunna rock up and pick the .44 lever action on the day of purchase. So that may be why they haven't notified me. I'll give em a call the day the physical licence arrives (I'm hoping tomorrow so I can go down thursday night)
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Rwd22 » 13 Jul 2022, 4:20 pm

Unless you have a current order in the system, they wont email you letting you know your PTA has arrived.

Once you have an approved PTA email from weapons licensing, dealer will have it within 24 hours.

Submitted Cat A PTA Monday 11/7 4:00pm. No approval yet, broke the 24 hour chain, bugger!
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 14 Jul 2022, 9:51 am

Yep you guys were correct, that day I called they had my PTA and I went down that afternoon and came home with a new .44 magnum.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Nails » 03 Aug 2022, 4:07 pm

“The 28 day PTA wait time starts when you submit the PTA, it runs concurrently with your license application and should be triggered for processing once your license is approved.”

Can anyone tell me if the same applies to an endorsement on a cat H license.
I recently appled for large caliber endorsement for metallic silhouette and not sure if I need to wait for the new replacement license, then submit pta and wait again. Hopefully not…
Thanks
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 03 Aug 2022, 9:29 pm

The 28 day PTA wait period only applies if there are no firearms already linked to your license so it only applies to your first PTA approval, no matter what class for Cat H.
However, Cat H PTAs generally take a month or more for approval anyway so it probably doesn't make any difference.

I would submit the class C PTA now, worst case scenario is that they advise that you're not yet eligible for it to be approved and you have to withdraw it and get a refund.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nails » 04 Aug 2022, 6:37 am

Thanks rc, I’ll submit today and see how it goes
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Cool fish » 09 Aug 2022, 8:58 am

May anyone share recent cat H PTA waiting time? Thanks!
.22lr Tikka T1X
.22lr CZ452
.357mag Marlin 1894 CSBL
.223 Remington 700 SPS Tactical
.223 Browning X Bolt Stalker Stainless
.308 Tikka T3X A1
12G Sulun Tac-12
Cool fish
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 09 Aug 2022, 8:23 pm

Had a friend at the range took 3 weeks for approval email and another week for the hard copy to arrive through the post, another guy has been waiting 7 weeks and heard nothing yet.
I've now been waiting 3 weeks for a Cat B lever shotgun, the last one (about 3 months ago) too 24 hours.

There seem to be multiple queues and they put new applications into them randomly with no clue about how long each one is, or maybe they occasionally pick a batch of recent ones and process them quickly to get the average processing time down on their reports.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 10 Aug 2022, 10:04 am

Been 8 days since my .223 PTA was put in. Given what I'm reading I may as well put in my 12g PTA now cause it'll be a while before I can even pick it up lol.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 10 Aug 2022, 10:10 am

Applied for my 458wm pta on the 30th of June.
Still waiting....
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 10 Aug 2022, 7:12 pm

I was told QLD PTA's are out to at least 31 days now for all guns, this unofficial figure gained on the chinese whispers line from a local gunstore though. So read into it what you will.

I am about 2 weeks waiting now for a cat B rifle...
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by rc42 » 10 Aug 2022, 9:13 pm

Words from Shooters Union about the current delays:

"We were in the Ministerial Meeting where this was discussed. It is taking an average of 31 days to process PTAs at the moment, not because of any changes to legislation etc, but because of staffing issues etc (according to WLB).
Obviously we don't think this is good enough (shouldn't be PTAs at all, but that's a different matter) and are continuing to make some noise about how unacceptable this is."

Think about it, if the 'average' is 31 days then half of all PTA applications are currently taking longer than that....
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by eldenk » 12 Aug 2022, 1:04 pm

I've been waiting 43 days. Paid and submitted for 308WIN on 01 July... ive called and just get the usual rehearsed response. Very frustrating.
.223 Warwick WFA1-L
.308 Ruger Precision Rifle
eldenk
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cool fish » 13 Aug 2022, 7:43 pm

Sounds like horrible for PTA. Thanks for everyone's updates! Need to organise one in advance.
.22lr Tikka T1X
.22lr CZ452
.357mag Marlin 1894 CSBL
.223 Remington 700 SPS Tactical
.223 Browning X Bolt Stalker Stainless
.308 Tikka T3X A1
12G Sulun Tac-12
Cool fish
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by mickb » 17 Aug 2022, 5:12 pm

LGS told me a couple weeks ago they usually get about 20 PTA approved a week.and had gone down to 10 or so. Talked to them today they had only 1 since last week.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by eldenk » 17 Aug 2022, 5:39 pm

That is pathetic.... Im really thinking ill be waiting closer to 60 days.
.223 Warwick WFA1-L
eldenk
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ZepherOne » 18 Aug 2022, 5:56 pm

Currently at 50 days.... Applied on the 29th of June for my 300 win mag, have previously acquired a class A and class B rifle. Created an account with this site to share my disappointment with the current system.
ZepherOne
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by mickb » 18 Aug 2022, 11:47 pm

Im at 3.5 weeks now myself
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by eldenk » 19 Aug 2022, 7:09 pm

My LGS in Brisbane said today theyre seeing them averaging around 6 weeks
.223 Warwick WFA1-L
eldenk
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by mickb » 20 Aug 2022, 3:51 pm

I asked another gunstore how they are going and they said zero approvals in the last 30 days. They have about 30 PTA sitting there waiting, which is quite a bit of bread for a small store. Also they cant bring anything else in having only the 20 gun dealer licence, being their current guns arent clearing.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by rc42 » 20 Aug 2022, 4:27 pm

I asked in a gun store today too, their safe storage is almost at capacity with firearms awaiting PTAs so that customers can collect them and it's going to severely impact their business if things don't start moving very soon.

They have heard that the 40 new temporary staff at WLB are currently receiving intensive training by the existing staff that would normally be processing the PTA and licensing queues so almost nothing is actually being done there right now.

The silver lining on this cloud is that the queue clearance rate should leap up to never before seen speeds in the next week or two as these new staff get to work.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by eldenk » 22 Aug 2022, 3:07 pm

I wonder how long it takes to "train" 40 new temp staff. Seems to be an absolute debacle especially if gun shops are having their businesses impacted by ridiculous red tape in inefficiencies of a state gov dept.
.223 Warwick WFA1-L
eldenk
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Coreyricho » 22 Aug 2022, 6:07 pm

Current waiting 4 weeks for a 12G straight pull, will be second 12G I own. I can’t believe how long we have to wait for a paid service.

They either need to speed the times up to (24-72h) window or be done with the PTA system altogether.
If they can’t keep up with their own systems they may need to rethink ideas possibly?
I do feel for the staff who deal with the over work load though…
Coreyricho
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by eldenk » 24 Aug 2022, 7:23 am

I think any PTA caught up in this debacle should be granted and the fee refunded. What are we paying for? Just another way to rip off tax payers. 55 days waiting for me now...
.223 Warwick WFA1-L
eldenk
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Coreyricho » 25 Aug 2022, 9:44 am

I could be reading this wrong but on QPS website it says 28 day wait for any PTA? I know it’s that for first PTA but have they changed to all now without us knowing so?
Coreyricho
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 25 Aug 2022, 11:05 am

The legislation prescribes a 28 day wait before PTA processing if there are no other firearms under the applicant's license, WLB would have no lawful justification for applying that to all PTAs, no matter what wording they put on their website.

The current reality, however, is that a 28 day turnaround would be some kind of speed record as actual times are closer to 60 days due to under-staffing, political disinterest and general management incompetence at WLB.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mickb » 25 Aug 2022, 7:36 pm

Yeah imagine the Ato just taking a few months off due to low staffing lol.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by eldenk » 26 Aug 2022, 8:23 am

mickb wrote:Yeah imagine the Ato just taking a few months off due to low staffing lol.

Wouldn't that be the dream!?! But alas... no time wasting when its about taking as much hard earned money from the honest hard working middle class.
.223 Warwick WFA1-L
eldenk
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws