PTA wait time in QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Barrettmr » 15 Nov 2021, 3:30 pm

Placed a Cat B on the 2/11, approval came today 15/11. The fastest that I have ever had.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Barrettmr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by roadblock » 16 Nov 2021, 10:42 pm

Lodged cat B application 18 October, email received 19 October advising that the PTA will be approved on 17 November. Tomorrow's the day!.. hopefully. Is this normal or are others still seeing approved PTAs in less than 28 days?
roadblock
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 18 Nov 2021, 8:42 am

roadblock wrote:Lodged cat B application 18 October, email received 19 October advising that the PTA will be approved on 17 November. Tomorrow's the day!.. hopefully. Is this normal or are others still seeing approved PTAs in less than 28 days?

Is this your first firearm? By law the first firearm acquisition has a 28 day waiting period. Weapons licensing is slack reading their form 10s and can take 6 months or more to update their records. So if you put in a few form 28s within a few months of getting your licence then their records will still show you as not having acquired a firearm and will still have to wait the 28 days.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by roadblock » 18 Nov 2021, 8:52 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
Is this your first firearm? By law the first firearm acquisition has a 28 day waiting period. Weapons licensing is slack reading their form 10s and can take 6 months or more to update their records. So if you put in a few form 28s within a few months of getting your licence then their records will still show you as not having acquired a firearm and will still have to wait the 28 days.

It is the first PTA for a new firearm since getting my license back. I let it lapse about 15 years ago.

I put in a bunch of PTAs right after my license application to transfer my firearms from my father's register. These PTAs were approved and received within a couple of days of receiving my license. I'd say you're on the money though.

Just very frustrating as I've ordered the new rifle from Brisbane and had a couple of opportunities to pick it up since it went in but now won't be travelling down there for ages and will likely need to get it posted.
roadblock
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 18 Nov 2021, 9:06 am

As soon as you get your first firearm in your physical possession than you can ring them and tell them and maybe they will waive the 28 day period if you have other permits waiting.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 18 Nov 2021, 12:54 pm

When WLB receive a PTA application and (eventually) approve it they will check the registry database for that licensee, if there are no firearms listed they will apply an additional 28 day waiting period.
However, the legislation only requires that the licensee have a firearm under their license, it does not mention the out of date and poorly maintained registry that WLB use.

If you send WLB copies of your existing acquisition/disposal forms that you got from the dealer when previous firearms were attached to your license it will prove that they cannot lawfully apply an additional 28 day waiting period. If you are polite they should waive it for you but if you are an ass they will just take 28 days to respond to you.
rc42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 01 Dec 2021, 12:50 pm

Cat A PTA application, 11/11/21 approval email 1/12/21
Webley & Scott Xocet MkII - .22LR
Savage 340 - .222
Howa 1500 VT Fluted - .308
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wildcat » 02 Dec 2021, 10:36 pm

Cat H. 8 weeks, told 10-12. Week 12, told 16. Week 16, told 18-20. Week 20, told 20-22. Week 22, spat the dummy, told, "if you don't like it sir, you can always retract your application". Week 24 finally approved received week 25. What a friggin joke.
Put one in on the 26/11. Let's see how this one flys.
Wildcat
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 07 Dec 2021, 6:10 pm

Cat H PTA submitted 20/11
Approved 7/12

Still around the 2 week mark, so happy enough with that.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Queensland gun laws