PTA wait time in QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Rwd22 » 26 Sep 2020, 7:27 am

Rwd22 wrote:Mrs put in a Cat B PTA for her new lever gun yesterday morning, see how long that takes to turn around.

Mrs Cat B PTA application 5/9
Approval email 22/9

Smidge over 2 weeks, hopefully PTA for my over-under comes through early next week.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 26 Sep 2020, 6:11 pm

snag wrote:I put in an application for a cat B PTA on the 3rd Sept, got the approval email on the 18th.

Hard copy came in the mail on 24th Sept. Not too bad for this day and age.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 28 Sep 2020, 12:23 pm

just a quick question because I cant remember exactly what I was told during my safety course, so I applied for my licence on the 21/07/2020 and submitted two PTAs on the same day. My licence arrived in the mail today, because the PTAs I submitted were my first does the 28 day waiting period start from the day I submitted them or the day my licence was approved?

Cheers, hope to hear back from yous soon.
Regards, Jesse.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Sep 2020, 1:14 pm

I have been told by people at the safety course that it’s twenty eight days after the application so u should get the pta in your mailbox very soon. Not 28 days after the weapons licence is received ....despite what goes on with other Peoples ptas , they can take different amounts of time to receive. So it’s just a matter of waiting .....try to think of it as something to look forward too every day Instead of being disappointed every day ......that’s what I do
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 28 Sep 2020, 1:25 pm

'Usually' you should receive your PTA's around the same time as your license in the mail, but given the current extra delays in license and PTA approvals, I wouldn't be surprised if they drag their feet.

Might be worth touching base with them as your PTA's may have been stuck in a pile due to your license application still being processed at the time. You have well and truly served the 28 day waiting period, so shouldn't be any additional wait time, weapons licensing tend to be fairly helpful when you contact them by phone.

It's always good to start the call with something like "Sorry, I was a little unsure of...." Seems to help things along ;) :thumbsup:
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 28 Sep 2020, 1:32 pm

Rwd22 wrote:'Usually' you should receive your PTA's around the same time as your license in the mail, but given the current extra delays in license and PTA approvals, I wouldn't be surprised if they drag their feet.

Might be worth touching base with them as your PTA's may have been stuck in a pile due to your license application still being processed at the time. You have well and truly served the 28 day waiting period, so shouldn't be any additional wait time, weapons licensing tend to be fairly helpful when you contact them by phone.

It's always good to start the call with something like "Sorry, I was a little unsure of...." Seems to help things along ;) :thumbsup:

Ok thank you for your response I sent them an email so if they dont respond to that in a week or so ill give them a call.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Completely Cornered » 19 Oct 2020, 7:00 pm

Submitted pta for a new .22 on 30th sep.
Still no sign of approval. Waits are still over 2 weeks on them
Ruger American Ranch
Remington 783
Marlin xt22rts
Lithgow LA105
Completely Cornered
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Oct 2020, 8:01 pm

Cat b. Applie On 2 Nd of October. Still no approval email b ut my next hunt is a while off yet so no big deal really
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Macross » 20 Oct 2020, 12:11 pm

Ive been waiting on a CatH PTA for a month and one day now... still no approval email.

Submitted 21st September

Man the pta system really sux... I can cope with the idea of having every firearm registered... but FFS if you have the license for it, then you shouldnt have to have a pta on top of that as well.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Oct 2020, 5:41 pm

One day I was walking toward the mailbox not expecting a pta For some reason I was expecting some bad mail , like a fine or similar , but the pta turned up instead. Nice surprise
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Cool fish » 20 Oct 2020, 11:24 pm

Submitted cat b pta on 18 oct, let's see how long it will take. Expect 3 weeks at least.
.22lr Tikka T1X
.22lr CZ452
.357mag Marlin 1894 CSBL
.223 Remington 700 SPS Tactical
.223 Browning X Bolt Stalker Stainless
.308 Tikka T3X A1
12G Sulun Tac-12
Cool fish
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 22 Oct 2020, 12:43 pm

Just had one of my PTA's email approval come through. One day shy of three weeks. How long has it been taking for WLB to then email it to the dealer. I called dealer and they said up to two to three weeks or more for emails to come through???

Cat H PTA submitted 2nd Oct.
Approval Email 22nd Oct.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Oct 2020, 1:55 pm

Couple of months back things were faster Perhaps peopl are buying more guns for Xmas Holle duys ....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Completely Cornered » 22 Oct 2020, 8:03 pm

Submitted 30th sep, email confirmation on the 21st.
3 weeks
Ruger American Ranch
Remington 783
Marlin xt22rts
Lithgow LA105
Completely Cornered
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Oct 2020, 11:35 am

Email of approval For cat b I got today. So 20 days. No idea when the dealer might receive the real deal
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 23 Oct 2020, 2:06 pm

Macross wrote:Just had one of my PTA's email approval come through. One day shy of three weeks. How long has it been taking for WLB to then email it to the dealer. I called dealer and they said up to two to three weeks or more for emails to come through???

Cat H PTA submitted 2nd Oct.
Approval Email 22nd Oct.

Really shouldn't be any longer than 48 hours for the dealer to receive it. The couple PTA's we've had in recently have been received by the dealer 24 hours after our approval email came through.

Waiting patiently by the letterbox for my paper Cat H PTA that was approved thursday last week. Mrs received her's exactly a week after approval email, looking like it's going to be more like a week and a half for mine.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Oct 2020, 6:41 pm

Cat b applied oct 2. Email 20 days later. And then real email received by dealer today so 24 days total
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Cool fish » 03 Nov 2020, 9:41 am

pta updated: email approval today. Applied:18/10/20 email approval: 3/11/20 roughly 2.5weeks now
.22lr Tikka T1X
.22lr CZ452
.357mag Marlin 1894 CSBL
.223 Remington 700 SPS Tactical
.223 Browning X Bolt Stalker Stainless
.308 Tikka T3X A1
12G Sulun Tac-12
Cool fish
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Medb » 03 Nov 2020, 3:33 pm

Are the guys at the big C usually pretty good at notifying you when the pta arrives? Got one approved on the 29th last week and haven't heard from them yet. Figured I'd wait at least a week before ringing em up asking if they've got it.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 03 Nov 2020, 4:07 pm

Medb wrote:Are the guys at the big C usually pretty good at notifying you when the pta arrives? Got one approved on the 29th last week and haven't heard from them yet. Figured I'd wait at least a week before ringing em up asking if they've got it.

In my experience they're usually pretty good. Usually they receive them 24-48 hours after you receive the application approval email.

Doesn't hurt to give them a bell, usually they'll email you if you have an order in the system already. I have heard of PTA delivery delays recently, but haven't experience it myself. Last few had been received by dealer in around 24 hours.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Medb » 03 Nov 2020, 4:20 pm

Rwd22 wrote:
Medb wrote:Are the guys at the big C usually pretty good at notifying you when the pta arrives? Got one approved on the 29th last week and haven't heard from them yet. Figured I'd wait at least a week before ringing em up asking if they've got it.

In my experience they're usually pretty good. Usually they receive them 24-48 hours after you receive the application approval email.

Doesn't hurt to give them a bell, usually they'll email you if you have an order in the system already. I have heard of PTA delivery delays recently, but haven't experience it myself. Last few had been received by dealer in around 24 hours.

Thanks, I got the email 20 minutes after I made this post. Posting about delays in an internet forum seems to work strangely well in regards to getting updates about things. The second you complain about something, bam that item you've been waiting months for from the U.S suddenly appears at your doorstep :drinks:
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Medb » 06 Nov 2020, 1:14 pm

I just put in for a cat A yesterday, and got approval email in less than 24 hours. I guess it's just the B's and H's that need an extra 3 weeks for some reason.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 31 Dec 2020, 3:43 pm

Put a PTA in today for a CatB, hopefully, I will report back here next week.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 01 Jan 2021, 1:36 pm

I put in a Cat A October 2020 it took five weeks and I only got it then as I rung up to ask where it was.
They’re very sporadic there.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 20 Jan 2021, 9:48 am

Placed a PTA Cat B 31/12/20 and just got the approval email this morning, now the next wait for it to go to the dealer.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 21 Jan 2021, 6:39 pm

Was a one-day wait all finalised now.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 26 Jan 2021, 7:52 am

My latest.

Applied for PTA 17/1/21
Email approval received 18/1/21
Physical copy received 25/1/21

That's pretty good I reckon.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Burntbear » 29 Jan 2021, 11:45 am

H Class - PTA 9/12/2020 Email - advise 18/12/2020 - Dealer 22/12/2020

A Class 22 - PTA 15/01/2021 - Waiting
Burntbear
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 24 Feb 2021, 4:09 pm

Post '47 Cat H Collector PTA

Applied: 12/12/20
Email Approval: 23/02/2021
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by DaveZ » 11 Mar 2021, 6:41 pm

Cat B application submitted online on the 16/2/21, email of PTA approval arrived on the 9/3/21 so right on 3 weeks from application.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws