Cross border PTA

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Cross border PTA

Post by CAVEMAN » 14 May 2021, 6:17 pm

Background, im a QLD resident that will soon be popping south to NSW for the first time in a while. Now if i see something i like in a NSW gun store how does the PTA work?

Can i get a QLD PTA for that dealer and get it in person or do i need to do the usual process and have it shipped between dealers and get a PTA for the receiving dealer?

Kind of dont know on this one at all.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Cross border PTA

Post by bladeracer » 14 May 2021, 6:32 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Background, im a QLD resident that will soon be popping south to NSW for the first time in a while. Now if i see something i like in a NSW gun store how does the PTA work?

Can i get a QLD PTA for that dealer and get it in person or do i need to do the usual process and have it shipped between dealers and get a PTA for the receiving dealer?

Kind of dont know on this one at all.

As far as I'm aware it works the same as ordering online.
Buy it, seller takes it to his dealer.
Dealer sends it to your dealer.
Dealer does your PtA.
Go pick it up.

I don't believe you can take delivery of it in NSW but check with NSW Registry..
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 14 May 2021, 6:38 pm

Needs to be on your state register I bought a pistol from Qld had to have it sent to local gun shop they added it to nsw registration , took then 2 months to do as well ( added cost interstate transfer)
Then I could take pta in and pick it up for the same cost as local transfer .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 14 May 2021, 8:24 pm

You can buy it, but NOT take possession of it.
Arrange with the vendor to send it to your local/preferred Qld dealer, and advise them what to expect, as soon as possible. If you are buying it from a non-dealer, they will have to surrender it to their dealer, who in essence will be removing that firearm from the state registry, and have them send it to the Qld dealer.
Apply for your PTA on the Qld WLB web site. In Qld that is your responsibility. It's pretty easy and self explanatory.
You will specify on the application what the firearm is - make, calibre, what category, but NOT the serial number. The dealer will enter that onto their part of the PTA that they will return to WLB.
Because you are a Qld resident, you have to use the dealer to dealer interstate transfer system which means that as far as Qld WLB are concerned, you are buying from your Qld dealer and they have no interest in who the out of state vendor is.
Your dealer will undoubtedly charge you a transfer fee AND the prescribed 'Brokerage Fee' which is $10 + GST ($11). Best to check with your Qld dealer what their "transfer fee" is beforehand - they can charge whatever they like for that but the 'brokerage' is prescribed in law.
Hope that is clear.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 15 May 2021, 2:00 am

Four years back I transferred / collected a rifle at a Dubbo dealer with a VIC PTA, no worries.

Suggest that you spk to the Principal of the receiving gunshop prior, had no issues at Dubbo but around the same time had a dickweasel drone employee at Thornton f$c# me around after I drove 800km to take possession of a rifle.

Saturday morning, staying in a Motel, transferring owner present with all paperwork, a delay would mean come back Monday.

Rifle was in an AICS chassis with NF scope etc and the first thing to come out of the dick#ead's mouth was "Oh I don't like that".

Then the mumbling and deliberate confusion commenced, make the customer dance s#it, in any other situation I would have become rather stern and forceful.

A year back the same seller [a good mate] transferred a 1957 Brno Mod 2 through that dealer to be shipped to VIC, Bob shipped the bolt and original magazine to me by other means.

I get a call from Thornton to tell me that there is no bolt or mag, despite Bob having handed it over the counter like that. I explained the obvious.

Rifle turns up at local LGS and they unpackaged it in front of me, fresh chip in the otherwise unmarked stock just forward of the mag well.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 15 May 2021, 7:59 am

Note: the OP profile indicates that he is a Qld forum member, and that he has stated that he is a Qld resident.
That being so, the requirements for "importing" an "out of State" firearm into Qld are quite specific.
Reference to a Vic PTA being used in NSW and taking immediate possession is of no consequence, in relation to OP's query. Different State, different rules.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 15 May 2021, 1:34 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Four years back I transferred / collected a rifle at a Dubbo dealer with a VIC PTA, no worries.

That's because NSW and Vic have an agreement to do so. Even then plenty of dealers know nothing about it or flat out refuse to do it.

You can't use a QLD PTA anywhere besides QLD.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 15 May 2021, 1:39 pm

I've bought several guns from interstate and the way it works is the PTA is your responsibility to organise and take to your local dealer. Shipping is all organised by the stores and depending on your store they will charge a separate fee to your shipping fee.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Farmerpete » 16 May 2021, 1:00 am

I would assume it would be the same as buying online. You get a qld pta go to a shop in wherever and pay they can only post to a licensed dealer or police station and when you get home you pick it up
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 16 May 2021, 11:05 am

Thanks for the info everyone. Its confirmed what I thought. Cheers.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws