Cross border hunting rifle

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Cross border hunting rifle

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2021, 12:29 pm

Sometimes when browsing cleavers site there is a note at the bottom NOT LEGAL IN NSW Eg I made sure my stock on my 7600 was the legal nsw version because I visit that state to hunt but live in Qld. So have I assumed correctly that our Qld legal guns that are illegal in nsw must not be taken over the border , not even just one weekend ? This is hypothetical Only question because Everything I have is legal in both states.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Cross border hunting rifle

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2021, 12:55 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sometimes when browsing cleavers site there is a note at the bottom NOT LEGAL IN NSW Eg I made sure my stock on my 7600 was the legal nsw version because I visit that state to hunt but live in Qld. So have I assumed correctly that our Qld legal guns that are illegal in nsw must not be taken over the border , not even just one weekend ? This is hypothetical Only question because Everything I have is legal in both states.

Yes, all firearms are required to be legal in your possession in whichever state you take them into.
I have the same problem, my hunting rifles have collapsible or folding stocks.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 16 May 2021, 4:23 pm

Taking a firearm into NSW with an adjustable/folding stock is a bad idea, don't be caught with it. NSW considers such firearms "prohibited" which is worse than just Cat D.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2021, 5:36 pm

My stock is fixed, compliant. Legal so I got no dramas. I’m actually much more worried about not seeing any pigs foxes and cats whenever I go to nsw lately. ... I don’t know why anyone would want a folding stock anyway , It needs to be intact and ready to go. To me it makes as much sense as folding my Ute or my dog in half
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 16 May 2021, 5:43 pm

Makes storage a bit easier in some situations.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2021, 5:49 pm

Blr243 wrote:My stock is fixed, compliant. Legal so I got no dramas. I’m actually much more worried about not seeing any pigs foxes and cats whenever I go to nsw lately. ... I don’t know why anyone would want a folding stock anyway , It needs to be intact and ready to go. To me it makes as much sense as folding my Ute or my dog in half

I thought the same until I tried a folder, well worth it in heavy bush. It only needs to be opened when I'm actually shooting, until then it's just luggage.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 May 2021, 7:32 pm

Blade, my research appears there’s concertina , and folding varieties. It appears the sliding ones only change the length slightly to suit the individual style but the swing around hinge variety look like they could really swing roughly 300 mm out of the way and I spose I would never really know if that was easy to carry around in the thick unless I tried it.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 18 May 2021, 8:20 pm

Yep, that's correct. The firearm in your possession in NSW must be legal in that state. Also, must be carried in a vehicle in accordance with NSW Regs.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 May 2021, 4:27 pm

Blr243 wrote:Blade, my research appears there’s concertina , and folding varieties. It appears the sliding ones only change the length slightly to suit the individual style but the swing around hinge variety look like they could really swing roughly 300 mm out of the way and I spose I would never really know if that was easy to carry around in the thick unless I tried it.

Never heard of concertina, but mine are collapsible and foldable.
Even the collapsibles are illegal in NSW, they have to be pinned in place permanently.
Attachments
20181103_190436b.jpg
20181103_190436b.jpg (229.6 KiB) Viewed 7113 times
210320172136.jpg
210320172136.jpg (545.09 KiB) Viewed 7113 times
Last edited by bladeracer on 19 May 2021, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2021, 4:52 pm

Thanks guys. Now I get it.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 May 2021, 5:08 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks guys. Now I get it.

A secondary advantage of using chassis that have AR15 buffer tube fitment is you can very easily swap the butt stocks among your rifles as you wish, same with all the other AR accessories.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 06 Jun 2021, 7:24 am

Keep in mind QLD also has unlimited cat A magazine capacity but NSW does not. My 10 round shotgun magazine and 25 round 22 magazine would get me jail time if I crossed the border into NSW.
Attachments
12.png
12.png (743.4 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
22.png
22.png (655.17 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nails » 21 Jun 2021, 7:52 pm

dpskipper wrote:Taking a firearm into NSW with an adjustable/folding stock is a bad idea, don't be caught with it. NSW considers such firearms "prohibited" which is worse than just Cat D.

Holy crap -Adjustable? Does this mean a GRS stock with comb and length of pull adjustments is illegal in NSW? Will my Finnlight 2 also be illegal as it has adjustable comb height?

I thought it was just folding stocks like the photo above
Last edited by Nails on 21 Jun 2021, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 21 Jun 2021, 7:57 pm

Nails wrote:Holy crap -Adjustable?

The official wording is telescoping or foldable. So you're fine.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 22 Jun 2021, 6:47 pm

dpskipper wrote:The official wording is telescoping or foldable. So you're fine.

I don't want to appear harsh but I think you are giving out false and misleading information that could be dangerous. I don't think he is fine as you claim.

I'm fairly certain you can not adjust for length of pull in NSW. The Sulun Arms Tac 12 can only sell the model with the fixed stock in NSW. Do you know what telescoping means?
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 22 Jun 2021, 6:55 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I don't want to appear harsh

You most certainly are.

I skimmed through the post in question (whats a GRS stock?) but i assumed he was talking about adjustable cheek rest etc. Length of pull is certainly a no go.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 22 Jun 2021, 7:04 pm

I apologise. I may have jumped the gun here. It appears he edited his post around half an hour after you replied. So he must of added in more information after your reply.

Fixed stocks only in New South.
Attachments
73A53559-65C4-45D6-9FF4-61E012D737D1.jpeg
73A53559-65C4-45D6-9FF4-61E012D737D1.jpeg (315.1 KiB) Viewed 6361 times
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jun 2021, 11:48 pm

West Australia Gun laws very strict. not allowed adjustable anything, not even allowed to fold their car seats back if they want to pull over for a nap
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws