'Quality assurance checks have been undertaken' meaning?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

'Quality assurance checks have been undertaken' meaning?

Post by cathari5 » 19 May 2021, 11:26 am

i have just gotten an email from QPS advising my license has been approved and it will be posted out after " quality assurance checks have been undertaken", does anyone know what that means exactly. I been told it's a background check, but wouldn't that already have been done seeing as the license has been approved. another mate told me they're coming to my residence to see if I have an approved gun safe and its ready for use. which would be a bummer for me as I don't have the gun safe, yet, as I didn't want to buy one till my licensed was approved. Does anyone have any idea what it means?
cathari5
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: 'Quality assurance checks have been undertaken' meaning?

Post by jimboslice » 20 May 2021, 6:33 pm

Got my license a few months ago. My approval email had the exact same wording about "quality assurance checks have been undertaken". This is not referring to you. It is referring to the license card. Based on context in the email I believe they are checking that your license has been printed correctly, seeing as it gives you the legal right to use or buy a firearm so it's kinda important not to mess it up. That's also probably why it takes 2 weeks for the thing to arrive in the mail, seeing as Aus Post are generally much faster than that.

In relation to QPS coming to see if you have an approved safe. Consider that you need a PTA before you can actually buy a gun. A firearms license gives you the legal right to use and buy a gun/ammunition, however you need a PTA before you can actually acquire said gun. Unless you have a gun registered, QPS are not going to come knocking to check if you have a gun safe.

You don't need to do anything now. They are not going to come check your residence. The card will just rock up in the mail in 2 weeks time and then you're good to go.
jimboslice
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2021, 7:33 pm

jimboslice wrote:Got my license a few months ago. My approval email had the exact same wording about "quality assurance checks have been undertaken". This is not referring to you. It is referring to the license card. Based on context in the email I believe they are checking that your license has been printed correctly, seeing as it gives you the legal right to use or buy a firearm so it's kinda important not to mess it up. That's also probably why it takes 2 weeks for the thing to arrive in the mail, seeing as Aus Post are generally much faster than that.

In relation to QPS coming to see if you have an approved safe. Consider that you need a PTA before you can actually buy a gun. A firearms license gives you the legal right to use and buy a gun/ammunition, however you need a PTA before you can actually acquire said gun. Unless you have a gun registered, QPS are not going to come knocking to check if you have a gun safe.

You don't need to do anything now. They are not going to come check your residence. The card will just rock up in the mail in 2 weeks time and then you're good to go.

A licence also allows you to borrow firearms, but the onus is on you to comply with safe storage requirements.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 21 May 2021, 10:06 am

jimboslice wrote:That's also probably why it takes 2 weeks for the thing to arrive in the mail, seeing as Aus Post are generally much faster than that.

Not in my experience
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PastaofMuppets » 24 May 2021, 5:58 pm

Quality assurance checks with regards to a licence means that the picture is correct (not upside down or someone else etc) and that the codes are correct. For example, that you've been given the right categories of firearm.

With respect to Permits to Acquire, the checks are things like making sure you don't get a permit for a ".308 rimfire paintball gun".

The cards are printed in Melborne, not Qld, (or at least they used to be) which takes them longer to arrive by the joy of Australia Post.

And you do need 'access' to safe storage regardless of if you have any firearms or not in order to hold a licence. But as stated above, you're not going to get inspected unless you have a registered firearm.

By the time you get that email, they have already decided to issue you a licence unless they find something wrong, so they're not now going to inspect your storage.

~PoM
PastaofMuppets
Recruit
Recruit

-

Return to Queensland gun laws