Buying ammunition whilst interstate

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Buying ammunition whilst interstate

Post by the_sovereign_man » 30 May 2021, 7:16 pm

Evening all,

As the title suggests, am I able to buy ammunition whilst interstate with my QLD licence? If I'm over the border and see ammo on sale, in NSW for example, can I buy it? I would think yes, but I've just realised that I've never actually tested this.

Thanks in advance.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Buying ammunition whilst interstate

Post by Gamerancher » 31 May 2021, 9:06 am

W.A is the only state that doesn't recognise interstate licences. Apart from dedicated pistol ammo, ( think 9mm ) you will be okay in NSW.
The gunshop will ultimately decide for you in any case.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2021, 10:39 am

the_sovereign_man wrote:Evening all,

As the title suggests, am I able to buy ammunition whilst interstate with my QLD licence? If I'm over the border and see ammo on sale, in NSW for example, can I buy it? I would think yes, but I've just realised that I've never actually tested this.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, except WA. In WA you would have to have a temporary permit specifying your firearms and the ammo they use - it is an offence in WA to possess any ammo, brass or bullets that can't be used in the specific firearms you own. Most other states allow possession of ammunition for categories you are licenced for, which allows us to possess ammo for firearms we don't own, but are allowed to use.

NSW you are supposed to show evidence for pistol ammo, but I don't think it's enforced.
SA has a law that you must not possess more ammo than you will use in a year, but whether they apply that to visitors I don't know. I've only read of one instance of it being applied at all, and that was tacked on to a raft of other offenses.

You can order ammo and primers online also, but not powders.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 31 May 2021, 1:38 pm

"NSW you are supposed to show evidence for pistol ammo, but I don't think it's enforced." Strictly enforced Blade
Any time you buy pistol ammo the shop MUST record you details and must sight an original rego paper photo on you phone no good . saw a guy at range the other week came from Glebe to St Mary,s 40 min drive no papers could not sell him any either .
Rifle ammo just show you licence Powder and primers too
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2021, 1:55 pm

pomemax wrote:"NSW you are supposed to show evidence for pistol ammo, but I don't think it's enforced." Strictly enforced Blade
Any time you buy pistol ammo the shop MUST record you details and must sight an original rego paper photo on you phone no good . saw a guy at range the other week came from Glebe to St Mary,s 40 min drive no papers could not sell him any either .
Rifle ammo just show you licence Powder and primers too

I would hope all dealers are complying.
But I very regularly see people saying they've never had to do this in NSW..
A range might he more strict as the ammo is likely to be used on the premises?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 01 Jun 2021, 8:30 am

Perhaps the blokes that reckon they haven't had to do it are buying pistol ammo that isn't exclusively pistol ammo?
.357mag and .44mag are both chambered in rifles, as are many other "pistol" cartridges, so long as you have the correct category licence, there is no other restriction on purchasing that ammo.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Queensland gun laws