Temporarily Moving Abroad

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Temporarily Moving Abroad

Post by BigD » 16 Nov 2021, 2:59 pm

Hi All - So it looks like I may need to move abroad early next year for work, for a period of 2 years. The country I'll be moving to have incredible strict firearms laws so sadly, I cannot take them with me. I have some really nice old guns in my collection here in QLD, and I would prefer not to part ways with them! Not sure what my options are, I will be back periodically every 6 months for a couple of weeks, not sure if this helps... Anyway if anyone has experienced something similar or knows what my options are I would really appreciate the help. Thanks! BigD.
Last edited by BigD on 16 Nov 2021, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Temporarily Moving Abroad

Post by Blr243 » 16 Nov 2021, 3:58 pm

Many years ago I let my gun licence slip away because I lost interest and couldn’t be stuffed going hunting. I temporarily stored my stuff at a gun shop for a fee ....and then to save money I transferred them into my fathers name because he had a gun licence and a farm .... then when I got keen again I got a new gun licence and transferred them guns back into my name. I do advise u to maintain your licence. U don’t ever want to be having to re apply and all that paperwork......much better to maintain the licence.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2021, 4:03 pm

BigD wrote:Hi All - So it looks like I may need to move abroad early next year for work, for a period of 2 years. The country I'll be moving too have incredible strict firearms laws, so sadly, I cannot take them with me. I have some really nice old guns in my collection here in QLD, and I would prefer not to part ways with them! Not sure what my options are, I will be back periodically every 6 months for a couple of weeks, not sure if this helps... Anyway if anyone has experienced something similar or knows what my options are I would really appreciate the help. Thanks! BigD.

Maybe talk to Weapons Licencing?

I know Rebelgunworks do long-term storage, I think $180 per year, but they might do better if you have a number of firearms.

If you have a mate you can trust you could just switch them to his storage address, he doesn't even have to have access, but for that period it might be good to have somebody looking after them properly. Nothing gained if you come back to a safe full of mouldy rust..
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2021, 4:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I know Rebelgunworks do long-term storage, I think $180 per year, but they might do better if you have a number of firearms.

If you have a mate you can trust you could just switch them to his storage address, he doesn't even have to have access, but for that period it might be good to have somebody looking after them properly. Nothing gained if you come back to a safe full of mouldy rust..

This
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 16 Nov 2021, 6:15 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

This

Just be mindful that if you go down that path, your trusted mate doesn't exceed the prescribed limit of total number that can be stored without extra security measures, back to base alarms etc.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2021, 6:42 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

This

Just be mindful that if you go down that path, your trusted mate doesn't exceed the prescribed limit of total number that can be stored without extra security measures, back to base alarms etc.

Good point.
Down here, more than fifteen firearms requires an alarm, but only a siren and flashing light, which can be set up for about $200 or so. Doesn't require monitoring.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 16 Nov 2021, 7:38 pm

You have several options however I suggest you follow the law as it currently stands and remember ignorance is not an excuse for not following the law.

Section 10(2)(G)of the weapons act states If you don't reside “only in Queensland” you can't have a Queensland licence.

However section 10(2B)(A) states that 10(2)(G) does not apply if you resides outside Queensland and intend on visiting Queensland to engage in an activity that is a reason for possession of a weapon under section 11. Section 11 refers to your genuine reason that you listed to get your licence.

So if you leave Queensland and do not intend to visit for the purpose of your genuine reason than you can not possess a Queensland licence. You also have to tell the police within 14 days of your change of residence.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by BigD » 16 Nov 2021, 8:00 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:You have several options however I suggest you follow the law as it currently stands and remember ignorance is not an excuse for not following the law.

Section 10(2)(G)of the weapons act states If you don't reside “only in Queensland” you can't have a Queensland licence.

However section 10(2B)(A) states that 10(2)(G) does not apply if you resides outside Queensland and intend on visiting Queensland to engage in an activity that is a reason for possession of a weapon under section 11. Section 11 refers to your genuine reason that you listed to get your licence.

So if you leave Queensland and do not intend to visit for the purpose of your genuine reason than you can not possess a Queensland licence. You also have to tell the police within 14 days of your change of residence.

Thanks, this is my main concern, that I may have to lose my license. Mind you, I will absolutely be hunting during my trips back here, so maybe that is good enough to keep the license as this was my reason for possession. I'll get in touch with Weapons Licensing for more info and report my findings. Thanks everyone for your help so far.
BigD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2021, 8:03 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:You have several options however I suggest you follow the law as it currently stands and remember ignorance is not an excuse for not following the law.

Yes, that's why I suggested putting them into storage. While in storage they'll be listed against the dealer's licence. To retrieve them will require your licence, whether it's been retained or has been reinstated if surrendered.

I think there are exemptions for people who work away for periods though, to save having to cancel your licence and reapply, which is why he needs to discuss it with the authorities.

But if anything is licenced on a work basis (CatC or Primary production for example), then leaving the country will invalidate your genuine reason.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2021, 8:07 pm

BigD wrote:

Thanks, this is my main concern, that I may have to lose my license. Mind you, I will absolutely be hunting during my trips back here, so maybe that is good enough to keep the license as this was my reason for possession. I'll get in touch with Weapons Licensing for more info and report my findings. Thanks everyone for your help so far.

You won't be hunting unless you can retain your licence though (unless you're under 18 so you can then shoot and hunt under supervision, but if you were that young you wouldn't own any firearms).
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 16 Nov 2021, 8:20 pm

I hate the law as much as the next bloke but we must follow it until the time we can seek to change it. These “minor laws” and licence conditions are the simple ones to over look.

There is a chance you may have to surrender your licence. I don't know enough about it but I am keen to learn so please keep this thread updated when you talk to weapobs licensing.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 16 Nov 2021, 8:35 pm

Get advise from Qld WLB, and if you can't keep your licence because of residency status make sure that you voluntarily surrender your licence. Will make it a lot easier when the time comes to reapply/renew. Form QP463 for surrender, available here https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon-li ... -and-forms.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws