QLD Cat H - How many pistols before PTAs are rejected?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

QLD Cat H - How many pistols before PTAs are rejected?

Post by rc42 » 01 Jan 2022, 11:14 am

Just wondering if anyone in QLD has reached the acceptable limit for the number of pistols that we can possess of the same caliber/action on a standard sporting Cat H license?

I know we have to justify a genuine need for each one on the PTA and I've heard rumors that two of the same caliber and action is always accepted but questions will be asked if you try to go above that.

I've just submitted a new PTA for my third 9mm semi-auto and I'm hoping that my justification is accepted but would be interested to hear if any other have had difficulties. Obviously, this is QLD specific and the more recent the better.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: QLD Cat H - How many pistols before PTAs are rejected?

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jan 2022, 12:34 pm

I thought as long as the club supports your application it should be approved?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 01 Jan 2022, 12:56 pm

Queensland law does not mention a limit on the number of cat H firearms one can own. So technically there is no limit. The onus is on the one requesting the acquisition to provide a genuine reason to convince the authorised officer why the pistol is required. I know a bloke with at least 10 9mm handguns for target shooting.

Different brands, some have external safety's some don't, some are striker fired some are hammer, some have a buttstock, etc etc. Some pistols are better suited to certain matches.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 01 Jan 2022, 12:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:I thought as long as the club supports your application it should be approved?

No. The authorised officer can decline if he feels your genuine reason is not valid.

You need the club support letter and then you have to provide your genuine reason.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 01 Jan 2022, 1:53 pm

Some pistols are better suited to certain matches.
Exactly. The club I belong to has quite a few members with varying types of pistols designated for the matches they choose to shoot.
Lucky buggers. Unfortunately, financial constraints limit me to but a few.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 01 Jan 2022, 2:47 pm

3 more until I'll have to build a strong room/vault. As long as you can support your genuine reason, Weapons Licencing will approve your PTA application.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by rc42 » 15 Feb 2022, 9:00 am

Quick update on this, PTA approval came through with no issues for my third Beretta 9mm semi-auto.
I have a primary pistol for open division with red dot and compensator plus a backup with just red dot and a third pistol with open sights for standard division.

The backup is just that so is unlikely to be used although it may swapped as a 'like for like' to allow me to impulse buy something new and interesting in the future without needing another PTA. In any configuration it would server as a backup to one of my primary 9mm pistols.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Macross » 15 Feb 2022, 9:59 pm

I have pondered the idea of getting a $150 Norinco 9mm 1911 as a stand by 'like for like' gun. The idea of going to the gun shop and taking home a new pistol that day on the spur of the moment is right up my impulse buying alley!!!!
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws