QLD and don't they keep on coming..

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

QLD and don't they keep on coming..

Post by Johnno » 05 Jan 2022, 2:11 pm

Yes, moving to QLD too as have purchased an acreage there(105 acres).

As per the QLD police website, you can maintain possession of your firearms until a decision has been made on your QLD licence application which you have to lodge within 3 months from moving in for AB.
While the application process seems to be straight forward, would anyone (having gone through this) have any advice or tips which which to follow.
Thanks in advance.
Johnno
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: QLD and don't they keep on coming..

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Jan 2022, 2:33 pm

You need to prove genuine reason and do a safety course to obtain a licence in Queensland. Submitting a copy of your rates notice as proof of ownership to fulfill genuine reason and a copy of your current licence will fulfil the safety course part.

Also with 105 acres and raising some cattle you will be able to be a primary producer and be eligible for cat C to maintain feral pests on the property to protect your livestock. Talk to your accountant about this if it is of interest to you.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 05 Jan 2022, 2:46 pm

As an existing license holder you probably won't have to do the safety course and your rural property size is good for your genuine reason.

I would suggest trying the Primary Producer route even though sporting A/B will be easier, not only can you get access to more useful firearms in the future but you'll continue to have access to gun stores if the QLD repeat their stunt from the early days of Covid and block access to everyone else (it was actually a blatant anti-firearms attack on the industry and they got called out for it and reversed the decision after a few weeks, hopefully they won't do it again).

The application forms should be done online, don't take hard copies to a police station or they'll punish you by making you wait another 6 months (or more), otherwise, just answer the questions and be very careful not to make any errors or submit anything misleading.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Jan 2022, 2:58 pm

Also you used to have to send in a photo of yourself with your application and go to a police station to confirm your identity, now Australia Post takes the photo and confirms your identity. Which is wrong because the federal government has no say over Queensland firearms laws and should not be involved in the process. Department of Main Roads(like a car licence) should do this, not Australia post.

You will receive an email after you apply with the information to go to Australia Post.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2022, 3:14 pm

Do Primary producer as well as sport, hunting, recreation or whatever else they call it there, don't limit yourself.

rc42 wrote:As an existing license holder you probably won't have to do the safety course and your rural property size is good for your genuine reason.

I would suggest trying the Primary Producer route even though sporting A/B will be easier, not only can you get access to more useful firearms in the future but you'll continue to have access to gun stores if the QLD repeat their stunt from the early days of Covid and block access to everyone else (it was actually a blatant anti-firearms attack on the industry and they got called out for it and reversed the decision after a few weeks, hopefully they won't do it again).

The application forms should be done online, don't take hard copies to a police station or they'll punish you by making you wait another 6 months (or more), otherwise, just answer the questions and be very careful not to make any errors or submit anything misleading.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Jan 2022, 3:25 pm

Once you prove genuine reason for sports or rec you get both codes on your licence. SC1 is sports and RE1 is rec.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 05 Jan 2022, 5:36 pm

Welcome mate I hope you enjoy living here. Always had a soft spot for Crow Eaters. I also like the fact that Coopers brewery is Australian owned. Coopers Sparkling Ale my second favourite beer behind XXXX Bitter.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Jan 2022, 7:08 pm

Patriot wrote:Welcome mate I hope you enjoy living here. Always had a soft spot for Crow Eaters. I also like the fact that Coopers brewery is Australian owned. Coopers Sparkling Ale my second favourite beer behind XXXX Bitter.

coopers pale ale is my favorite :D :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Johnno » 05 Jan 2022, 7:42 pm

Thank you everybody for your responses. Great advice. The primary producer question is particularly interesting, will do some web research now.
Johnno
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Larry » 06 Jan 2022, 9:54 am

Check the rules in your state. having primary producer may allow you to also shoot all the other disciplens that you wish to as well. For example in Vic a primary producer can shoot on any rifle range and compete in any competitions on the rifle range I can also shoot pest animals on crown land but not hunt animals such as deer. However the loop hole is I can shoot them 250 m into the crown land from my property. This covers all my needs. The benefit of this is that Primary Producers do not have to pay for their License. every $100 bucks saved is better in your pocket.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Feb 2022, 9:53 pm

rc42 wrote:As an existing license holder you probably won't have to do the safety course and your rural property size is good for your genuine reason.

When I first moved up here, I simply asked for a transfer from the interstate firearms license that I held to a Qld license.
That went through without a hitch.
As I already had primary producer status on my previous license that too went straight through.

And, when the Covid shutdown "stunt" happened, it only affected people that did not have Primary Producer status on their license.
Having that status at the time meant that you were ushered into the store and treated like royalty because they were missing out on all their
everyday usual sporting shooters. :lol:

Mine is listed as A, B, and C with conditions of RE1, SC1, PP4, and 999 under which all the aforesaid conditions are listed.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws