Pistol storage requirements

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Pistol storage requirements

Post by Nato » 19 Jan 2022, 9:00 pm

Hey Guys

I have a Huntpro HCD12 safe for my rifles. If I have it bolted down to concrete, would this satisfy QLD firearm laws to store pistols or would I have to purchase another safe?
Nato
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Pistol storage requirements

Post by rc42 » 19 Jan 2022, 9:03 pm

If it's made of 'solid' steel (i.e no vent holes to see inside) and bolted to the structure of your house (so that it doesn't move if you try hard to make it) then it's fine for Cat H in QLD.

Personally I'd go over the top and re-inforce the sides and add additional locking systems, plus CCTV pointing at it, but that's all optional
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 20 Jan 2022, 8:00 am

I would check (if you already haven't) the Huntpro website to see if that model is designated for Cat H pistols. Best to do some homework before proceeding.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 20 Jan 2022, 9:21 am

QLD doesn't really have a separate specification for Cat H, the safe just has to be steel and bolted down.
For Cat A/B in QLD a safe can be solid steel or wood and only needs to be bolted down if less than 150kg

I know other states have wall/door thickness requirements for different firearm categories but QLD doesn't
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 20 Jan 2022, 10:00 am

We are getting into semantics but the law requires all weapons that are not D,H,R to be “securely fixed“ to the frame or floor of a permanent building if less than 150kg. D,H and R weapons must be bolted to the frame or floor of a permanent building regardless of weight.

So A,B,C,E,M weapons only need to be secured not bolted. The law makes a distinction in the wording and does not provide a definition.

I recommend bolting anyway but you legally only need to zip tie or secure by other means.
Attachments
681E741A-C769-4869-8E1B-F16BD87DAF21.jpeg
681E741A-C769-4869-8E1B-F16BD87DAF21.jpeg (378.74 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 20 Jan 2022, 2:28 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:We are getting into semantics but the law requires all weapons that are not D,H,R to be “securely fixed“ to the frame or floor of a permanent building if less than 150kg. D,H and R weapons must be bolted to the frame or floor of a permanent building regardless of weight.

So A,B,C,E,M weapons only need to be secured not bolted. The law makes a distinction in the wording and does not provide a definition.

I recommend bolting anyway but you legally only need to zip tie or secure by other means.

QLD seems fairly relaxed on this issue compared to NSW. Lets hope some QLD bureaucrat does not change it.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Sockeye » 03 Jun 2022, 8:14 am

Apparently we can ask for approval if your think your storage arrangements are more secure than outlined in the law. I am planning to store Cat H in the 600 steel safe not bolted to the ground.

Yet to run run this by licensing though. Lets see what they say.
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws