Will semi-auto's come back

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Will semi-auto's come back

Post by pomemax » 25 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm

There is a lot of misconception about licences for firearms they were introduced long before 1973 they just were not compulsory .I remember getting my licence in Ashfield police station in 1970 the copper said next time don't come in for this in yer school uniform cost $2 for 5 years think it may still be on file at mums place must look.( I left school in 71) I needed a licence to shoot at a range with my uncle they called it Warragamba back then and the range fee for me as a junior was $4 I remember going of about it costing 2x what the licence did .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Yelp » 04 Jan 2016, 12:19 pm

Not required by law but a range required you to have one?

Confused :huh:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 25 Aug 2020, 11:16 pm

An old thread.... but

Edit.
We can only hope that people wake up and tell gun GCA, the Greens party and anyone else with an agenda against firearms to go to buggery. I don't think it's going to happen to soon but the world is shaping up to get rid of the left wing nanny state woke BLM retards. I just hope the banishing is managed with intelligence, civility and a guarded firmness and not the same sort of dislike and zeal that Hitler had towards the Jews. I just hope these cretins have not managed to get rid of too many more guns or engineered to many more restrictions before it happens.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 25 Aug 2020, 11:30 pm

It will only get worse as it is only ever driven by emotion not brains
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 25 Aug 2020, 11:32 pm

get rid of fudds, keep building up the sport, get all your friends and family involved and build a proper lobby and we would have them back no problem, one sure way to stop us getting them back is enabling naysayers, defeatists, and fudds to interfere and spoil everything, as they constantly do.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Aug 2020, 11:33 pm

Ricochet wrote:An old thread.... but
the world is shaping up to get rid of the left wing nanny state woke BLM retards..

How have you come to this conclusion? I am seeing more and more insanity - not less.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 26 Aug 2020, 12:01 am

Ziege wrote:get rid of fudds, keep building up the sport, get all your friends and family involved and build a proper lobby and we would have them back no problem, one sure way to stop us getting them back is enabling naysayers, defeatists, and fudds to interfere and spoil everything, as they constantly do.

Never going to happen no government now or in the future will give residents of this country the same Firepower as the police never .
It has nothing to do with numbers of licences fudds or naysayers it's all about the attitude of the people which is now completely different to what it was 30 odd years ago .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 26 Aug 2020, 12:07 am

hate to break it to ya but there are places in the world that have regained their gun rights and access to far more than basic semi autos and all while being ruled over by far more tyrannical governments/dictators than we have. its purely down to fudds and naysayers like your last comment that stop us having semi automatic firearms, that apologist attitude for the anti-gun lobby is exactly what fuels them.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 26 Aug 2020, 4:05 am

Open your eyes and look at what is happening in this country not around the world I was brought up with semi-autos centerfire and Rimfire it's all I had until the garden gnome stole them off me.

I'm telling you now it's only going to get worse it is not going to get better , in 20 years' time mark my words .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 26 Aug 2020, 4:40 am

I disagree.
It’s the anti-gun lobby here. They are fanatics that will accept no compromise. They are a hell of a lot more organised and political than gun owners. They have a much larger presence everywhere than we do. They have websites that tell you how many gun owners there are and where they live by suburbs. They have powerful influence over all forms of media. They infiltrate our own organisations. Their infiltrations are highly sophisticated and intelligent unrelenting and parasitic. They are zealots with zero morality. Their goals by any means.

Middle ground and reasonable compromise is the only reason for our survival. The stance the fudds have taken has always been neutrality, impartial, non combative and respectful. With always an open invitation to join in and experience to educate. It has been passive and at times that is demoralising and frustrating. But it has always preserved dignity and respect. Hopefully the next generation will inherit from this a solid respected foundation to barter with integrity.
That’s why we still exist. Because after 96 resistance was And still is futile. It will be stamped out remorselessly.

I see the biggest threats from within our own ranks. Though it is much more perceived than real on the ground. The rise of the far right and the major players manipulating their parties much further right, Trump/Putin and Xi Jinpeng. There is a larger than typical ignorance in populations as both have taken advantage of a relative new form of media and information spread with the internet.
The last time this was successful in world history was of course the nazis. Their success is entirely contributed to media and information control. The German population was’nt evil. They just only knew what they were told.
Both Trump/Putin and Xi Jinpeng will fall. Likely their own parties will revolt against them. And the far right will be shoved back into history where it belongs. It cannot exist in the modern world. There are no secrets. Information can be accessed. There will always be exposure.
And so we will return to more humanitarian government. And so, we’re still f***ed and resistance will be futile. Comply to survive. Adapt or or face extinction.
We are the Neanderthals in this world. If we are not placid and instead we behave as a threat. Because of a false confidence a fleeting far right governance has given us. The Homo sapiens will hunt us to extinction. Because they can.
You only have to look to global events now to see it’s allready happening. History repeats.
The people are revolting against todays Caesar and the new emperor.
Last edited by womble on 26 Aug 2020, 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 26 Aug 2020, 5:11 am

Gee I wish I had your flare with a keyboard you took the words right out of my mouth I just didn't know how to say it
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 26 Aug 2020, 6:20 am

I can feel a 9" in my grip allready.
Attachments
images (15).jpeg
images (15).jpeg (31.26 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 26 Aug 2020, 8:24 am

womble wrote:I disagree.
....etc.

Some of the things you say are superficially correct BUT some need challenging.
For example.
Who funds the anti gun groups? Both indirectly and in some cases directly ... our government!

It's clear the 'punch and judy show' known as politics keeps working it's magic on you and thus you are never likely to even contemplate trying to peek behind the curtain in an effort to understand who is really pulling the strings.

As for ever seeing freely available semiautos's - fergeddit.
To paraphrase the words of tiny Tim Fisher at the time of the buyback.
Be grateful that WE have allowed you to keep what you still have.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 26 Aug 2020, 8:25 am

PTAs for semi autos submitted by Existing cat A/B licence holders Will be accepted as of January 2021 ....a week later elvis and Jimi Hendrix Are doing a gig at Birdsville
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 26 Aug 2020, 9:57 am

deye243 wrote:Open your eyes and look at what is happening in this country not around the world I was brought up with semi-autos centerfire and Rimfire it's all I had until the garden gnome stole them off me.

I'm telling you now it's only going to get worse it is not going to get better , in 20 years' time mark my words .

yep well with attitudes like that, its assured. only way to not keep fuelling the anti's is to stop agreeing with them like you are.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 26 Aug 2020, 10:01 am

xi jinping right wing..... um what? CCP = left wing. communism, left wing, communism is marxism played out, is left wing... i think some people have serious issues with how they interpret political compasses.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Skinna » 26 Aug 2020, 11:14 am

Its become popular to be offended.
I am increasingly astonished at how stupid people actually are when it comes to what 'we' as a society believe, from what we are fed over time.

We've also developed a way (been indoctrinated with) behavioral habits that allow us to believe that we are smarter than ever before in terms of thinking for ourselves, under the guise of whats "best" for us, & therefor allow to have our individual & civil rights legislated against.
When in actual fact, we're stupider than ever, & i believe becoming so utterly stupid im kind of glad i wont live under the "Logans Run" regime thats well into its beginnings--because thats where its headed.

All the best politicians are just the best manipulators, & their monkeys are just the best at doing whatever they have to do to gain & be protected by that cloak of power.
We are told certain things are "bad", then laws are made based on emotional reactions to them-like the 96 communist steal back.

If we cant stop/or should i say, dont do anything about not being able to own a firearm quite literally because it's "black" (appearance laws), with all respect, its kind of laughable that anyone thinks they will regain self-loaders again in this country.

The fact is, these oppressive laws (moderators, self-loaders, appearance laws, hell even gel blasters for Christs sake) actually go against & contradict the very laws that say we ARE rightfully allowed to use them (Proven Fit & Proper people we are as LAFO's & the hoops we jump through), & yet we do nothing about them.

No one seems to recognise that the reason we have independant gun laws (State & Territory based) is because the divide & conquer tactics work, yet still nothing is done.
Why doesnt someone sue the Govt for hearing loss from voluntarily culling ferals...?
Argue in the High court about self-loading shotguns & rimfires at least !?!?! We can all strap as many 10 shot mags to our belts for our 308's that we like, but cant have a self-loading 12G with 5 up its guts--WTF is with that-??
Oh thats right, public safety, of course!!!
Well I know which id rather the crazed idiot have who storms the cafe im seated in :problem:

I really admire the anti defeatist attitude, but its just words portraying a fantasy.

No one can tell me there isnt enough money in the firearms industry to combat it--but we do nothing.

I dont want to offend anyone with a positive 'go get'em' attitude, but while we sit & be dictated to that 'you can have this gun because you're a good person, but if you have that black one you're a bad bad bad person', then we aint ever seeing them again.
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Skinna » 26 Aug 2020, 11:18 am

Blr243 wrote:PTAs for semi autos submitted by Existing cat A/B licence holders Will be accepted as of January 2021 ....a week later elvis and Jimi Hendrix Are doing a gig at Birdsville

Can you get me a ticket please :clap:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Aug 2020, 11:21 am

No one...is going to be able to travel to Birdsville...damn CV!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bugman » 26 Aug 2020, 11:34 am

Will semi autos come back? I seriously doubt it. Scuttlebutt from people in the know, appears to have ALL hand guns banned in the next decade to fall in line with the UK.
In regards to semi auto rifles, I had a permit for professional pest control and had a permit for a semi auto rifle. A couple of years ago I had to renew my licence and was questioned about the semi auto side of the licence. I did not have the work to justify the semi auto so the rifle was sold off to a dealer and FAR adjusted my licence accordingly.
My point is this. Even if you think you may qualify for a Cat C etc you are going to have an ever increasing hard time to justify to the powers that be (here in NSW anyway), that you are entitled to one. The system is getting very difficult to deal with and I think will continue to do so. Yes, I miss my little Ruger 10/22 with suppressor. In those days, things were a lot simpler, unfortunately, not any more.
Hope those of you applying for Cat C and D get clearance. Kudos to you guys.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Aug 2020, 12:14 pm

^ dead right...unfortunately.
I am eligible for a cat C firearm In Tas...when I applied I received a call by a very nice representative saying - she would process it but...the complications of licensing, changes coming, courses For C and D, additional security at home, etc etc - was it worth it to me...? I had to think About it...
We then discussed why I wanted it and she was very knowledgeable - and well, she talked me into an Adler...by saying - they are just as fast without the coming cat c headaches...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 26 Aug 2020, 12:32 pm

but tassie, those restrictions shouldnt exist, thats the point.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Aug 2020, 12:54 pm

I know Zierge - 100% agree.
For my situation, at the time - I wasn’t thinking big picture...I honestly think the firearm representative was being sympathetic - she didn’t agree with laws, that she was having to apply...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 26 Aug 2020, 2:10 pm

It is political suicide for any government to give us anything and it's not my attitude you have to adjust its the general public and with TV shows like what was on last night Halifax retribution I got a sneaking suspicion the first thing that's going to go down the line is a Barrett bolt action rifle and any hope that we ever had of getting suppresses back is well and truly off the table .

All anybody has to do as an organisation is bring up New Zealand and Brenton Tarrant if ever there's a discussion on giving semi-autos back after all he is an Australian he couldn't get his hands on semi-autos in this country so he went to one where he could .....
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Aug 2020, 2:58 pm

My 3 cents...
There is a difference between opinion of what “may” happen” and opinion of what “should rightfully happen”.

I believe semis should come back, but my opinion is that they won’t...
If the discussion was centred around “what can we do to get them back...” then that’s different again.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 26 Aug 2020, 4:06 pm

ignorance only feeds the defeatism, youll never get a thing in life if you dont believe you can. the fact that so many on here are blatantly joining forces with the anti gun lobby is beyond saddening. its pathetic.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 26 Aug 2020, 4:41 pm

TassieTiger wrote:My 3 cents...
There is a difference between opinion of what “may” happen” and opinion of what “should rightfully happen”.

I believe semis should come back, but my opinion is that they won’t...
If the discussion was centred around “what can we do to get them back...” then that’s different again.

Very well said, and I think Deyes243 point above is also very true and will be the very first argument put forward if the topic ever comes up and then the topic will never see light again after that.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Aug 2020, 4:59 pm

Ziege wrote:ignorance only feeds the defeatism, youll never get a thing in life if you dont believe you can. the fact that so many on here are blatantly joining forces with the anti gun lobby is beyond saddening. its pathetic.

Maybe, but believing in something that is never going to transpire is referred to as delusion.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 26 Aug 2020, 5:19 pm

My idea for this is simple if c and d were collapsed into one category we would see more farmers with semi auto centrfires that would probably be the first step, farmers can already (allegedly) access d class so why make a separate class?
When I was a kid my dad had an skk in the shed and would wipe out 10 pigs at a time now your lucky to get two with a bolt and thats only if you're good.
The state government here (qld) just gave Barron river development 50million to study how to get rid of pigs in national parks without hurting native fauna while at the same time denying a petition and turning down revenue from hunters who would pay a fee to go there to solve the problem, the stupidity behind this logic baffles me.
On the plus side having only a shotgun and buckshot to kill pigs with has forced me to improve my stalking skills but still can't get more than 5 because of magazine capacity.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 26 Aug 2020, 5:21 pm

That’s definitely a 12 inch grinder.
This thread rears it’s head on the eve of Tarrant’s trial. Home born far right extremist.
The post that restarts the thread, clear right wing bias.
Coincidence or anti’s , you decide.
The damage is done. Bryant is a distant memory for them. All they have to do is promote right wing ideologies whilst masquerading as gun owners to paint a picture of us as a bunch of sleeper Tarrants.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws