Loaning rifles interstate

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Loaning rifles interstate

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jan 2022, 8:04 pm

I’m in south east q. My father lives in northern nsw We are both cat b licenced ...he wants to borrow my 243 ....is it legal for me to loan it to him ? I can check with qld licence branch tomorrow if they answer their phone ....I’m not worried about safe transport arrangement s to him via a third party. Dad visits often enough
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Loaning rifles interstate

Post by Sarco » 26 Jan 2022, 9:16 pm

I would have thought that the same would apply to your Dad.

What is the legality of his having a firearm in his possession that is not registered in NSW, though he is licenced for it and it is registered in QLD?
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 27 Jan 2022, 6:43 am

Read the Weapons Act section 35 (6)(C), the answer you require is in there.

Keep in mind what is ilegal or legal in QLD may not be in NSW.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 27 Jan 2022, 6:49 am

Also correct me if I am wrong, unlike QLD where you can buy any calibre under 1 inch I believe NSW only allows the purchase of ammo in calibres you actually own? Can you still possess the ammo but not buy it? Does he own a 243 in NSW?
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 27 Jan 2022, 7:35 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Also correct me if I am wrong, unlike QLD where you can buy any calibre under 1 inch I believe NSW only allows the purchase of ammo in calibres you actually own? Can you still possess the ammo but not buy it? Does he own a 243 in NSW?

I don't know anything about that myself, and have trawled the info quite thoroughly over the years. Never know though. They only check licence category when buying ammunition at the shop. Perfectly acceptable here in nsw to borrow rifles, so would need the ammunition that suits it
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 27 Jan 2022, 7:40 am

disco stu wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Also correct me if I am wrong, unlike QLD where you can buy any calibre under 1 inch I believe NSW only allows the purchase of ammo in calibres you actually own? Can you still possess the ammo but not buy it? Does he own a 243 in NSW?

I don't know anything about that myself, and have trawled the info quite thoroughly over the years. Never know though. They only check licence category when buying ammunition at the shop. Perfectly acceptable here in nsw to borrow rifles, so would need the ammunition that suits it

Maybe it is just pistol ammo? Like they cant buy 9x19mm without a pistol licence? Or maybe I just heard wrong.

cheers
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jan 2022, 8:24 am

And a letter from owner explaining
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 27 Jan 2022, 9:06 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
disco stu wrote:

Maybe it is just pistol ammo? Like they cant buy 9x19mm without a pistol licence? Or maybe I just heard wrong.

cheers

May be the case with pistol. I do recall hearing talk about it but never read anything on it, but I don't shoot pistol so never spent time looking at it. Bit hard though when there are pistol calibre rifles, and I wondered if that would ever be an issue
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 27 Jan 2022, 7:52 pm

Thank all for the input. I tried reading the legislation as suggested but it’s not real clear to me so I’ll try to phone weapons lic in both states if I knock off work early enough tomorrow ....failing that my father wants the rifle so much that I going to give it to him anyway so we will do the usual pta system and he will just have to wait a little longer
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 27 Jan 2022, 8:25 pm

The section is about acquiring weapons legally. Read the 2 circled areas on the photo I have attached. It even states the duration and the meaning of acquiring and who is exempt from this section. Subsection 6C applies to you and your dad from a queensland perspective. NSW on the other hand is out of my realm of knowledge.

I could just tell you the answer but I feel showing you makes it more legitimate so you don't just risk it and take my word for it.
Attachments
5D15D7A8-E9FD-4042-9AE5-365D2091AD26.jpeg
5D15D7A8-E9FD-4042-9AE5-365D2091AD26.jpeg (391.44 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2022, 2:24 pm

Thanks again guys. I phoned weapons licence qld. They said borrowing with q is fine but not interstate.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws