Moving from Queensland weapons disposal (and to Tasmania)

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Moving from Queensland weapons disposal (and to Tasmania)

Post by Rowdy » 20 Mar 2022, 8:13 am

Hi all, new here and this is my first post.

I will be moving to Tasmania in about 12 months time, I have a cat A, B and H licence with only a few rifles (zero handguns).
Can any one tell me if I have to sell the rifles or is there a way around this.

This is all I can find from Qld Weapons licensing....

"Moving away from Queensland
If you are moving overseas or interstate permanently, you are no longer eligible to hold a Queensland Weapons Act licence and will need to surrender your licence and lawfully dispose of your firearms. If you wish to continue to hold a licence in another state of Australia, you will need to also contact the relevant firearms registry of that state or territory."

Then there is this from the Tasmanian weapons authority...

"Moving to Tasmania
If you are moving to Tasmania and you have a corresponding firearms licence issued in another jurisdiction you must notify the Commissioner in writing that you intend to reside in this State. Your corresponding firearms licence will be valid in Tasmania for a period of:

3 months, in the case of holders of a corresponding Category A or B firearms licence
7 days, in the case of holders corresponding Category C, D or H firearms licence
Before expiry of this period, you must apply for a Tasmanian licence if you wish to continue to possess or use firearms."

I am confused mostly with the QLD rule, I understand the need to surrender licenses but they give no option to keep weapons. :unknown:

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Rowdy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Moving from Queensland weapons disposal (and to Tasmania

Post by rc42 » 20 Mar 2022, 7:05 pm

When moving between states it is possible to transfer your firearms but it can be a slow process, your existing A/B firearms can go with you to TAS for up to 3 months and be held under your QLD license, during which time you can hopefully get a TAS license and the firearms added to it. Your QLD license can then be surrendered and returned to QLD WLB.

Alternatively, or if it's taking longer than 3 months, you can put them into storage where you are the owner but don't 'possess' them, this can be with a commercial storage service or a dealer either in QLD or TAS and they will hold them until you are properly licensed and have the necessary PTAs to retrieve them.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Mar 2022, 9:38 pm

Rowdy wrote:Hi all, new here and this is my first post.

I will be moving to Tasmania in about 12 months time, I have a cat A, B and H licence with only a few rifles (zero handguns).
Can any one tell me if I have to sell the rifles or is there a way around this.

This is all I can find from Qld Weapons licensing....

"Moving away from Queensland
If you are moving overseas or interstate permanently, you are no longer eligible to hold a Queensland Weapons Act licence and will need to surrender your licence and lawfully dispose of your firearms. If you wish to continue to hold a licence in another state of Australia, you will need to also contact the relevant firearms registry of that state or territory."

Then there is this from the Tasmanian weapons authority...

"Moving to Tasmania
If you are moving to Tasmania and you have a corresponding firearms licence issued in another jurisdiction you must notify the Commissioner in writing that you intend to reside in this State. Your corresponding firearms licence will be valid in Tasmania for a period of:

3 months, in the case of holders of a corresponding Category A or B firearms licence
7 days, in the case of holders corresponding Category C, D or H firearms licence
Before expiry of this period, you must apply for a Tasmanian licence if you wish to continue to possess or use firearms."

I am confused mostly with the QLD rule, I understand the need to surrender licenses but they give no option to keep weapons. :unknown:

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

I think you just need to put your firearms into storage until you are licenced in the new state and can them transfer them to your new licence. You can send them or take them to a dealer near your new home though, they can store them for you. Just notify Qld that they are no longer in your possession and give them the dealer's details. Qld should get notification pretty quickly that the registration of your firearms has changed onto a dealer's book I think, but the onus is on you. It can take a while to get re-licenced though. You will also be surprised that no other state refers to your firearms as weapons.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rowdy » 22 Mar 2022, 8:52 pm

I see, thanks bladeracer and rc42, that does make sense now, I just needed to hear it from someone.
Rowdy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws