Moving to QLD from WA- very different licensing system

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Moving to QLD from WA- very different licensing system

Post by Boundry Rider » 08 May 2022, 6:54 pm

Hi to all members.

I will be moving from WA to QLD with a number of A/B firearms, I would like to know more about how to address the "genuine reason", and some advice on the best options regarding property letters/ hunt property membership so as to get my application in order.

Thanks in advance to all contributors.
Patrick
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Moving to QLD from WA- very different licensing system

Post by rc42 » 09 May 2022, 8:09 pm

Join Shooter's Union and use Sport and Target shooting as a genuine reason, there, done.

With that genuine reason you can get any caliber firearm (below 50cal) with no more questions asked and you can use your firearms at a range or any size rural property where you have permission to shoot, you can get those property letters etc. at a later date. The QLD license covers target shooting at ranges and recreational shooting no matter which 'genuine reason' you use to get the license.

As a bonus, your one A/B license covers you for as many firearms as you want (just pay $41 for each new PTA). And, unlike WA, you can borrow and use another shooters firearms and they can borrow yours, you can also purchase any caliber ammo with no need to prove that you have a matching firearm.

Then there's 'like for like' trading in firearms at a dealer for another with the same caliber and action, same day, no paperwork or PTA needed.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 09 May 2022, 8:33 pm

Appreciate that comprehensive reply rc42. “Unlike WA” in all aspects really. I assume that I add my current firearms via PTA on the police website once the license is approved?
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 May 2022, 8:48 pm

I also think club membership /target practice is an easier gen reason than permission to hunt private land. I have had trouble with weapons licencing acknowledgement of my hunting area despite me doing everything right And paperwork correct And by the book .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 09 May 2022, 11:16 pm

I don't think the same PTA process applies when transferring in from another state as you've already 'acquired' those firearms but I'm not sure on that.
Your WA license should be valid initially when you initially move to QLD and once you have an address here you can apply for a QLD license and get the firearms transferred to it.

QLD Weapons Licensing should be able to advise regarding the exact process that you need to follow, I'd suggest sending them an email if you can't find the right information on their website.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon-li ... queensland
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 08 Jun 2022, 11:11 pm

Anyone here have firearms licensed in 2 states, as in live in both states different seasons of the year?
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jun 2022, 11:48 am

Boundry Rider wrote:Anyone here have firearms licensed in 2 states, as in live in both states different seasons of the year?

Don't think that's possible, especially in WA as they don't recognise other state's registration.
If you live in any state, including WA you can simply use your firearms in other states, no issues.
If you live in another state, you will require temporary permits to take your firearms into WA.
Best bet would be to get co-licenced to somebody else's firearms in WA and use those.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws