Firearms checks / inspections by police

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Firearms checks / inspections by police

Post by ramshackle » 20 May 2022, 10:56 am

Some questions about firearms checks in QLD:

1. How common are they? Have you had one? If so, what prompted the check?
  2. What would happen if one of the firearms was not present (let's say you are keeping it out on your farm, for instance)?
Thanks!
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Firearms checks / inspections by police

Post by Blr243 » 20 May 2022, 12:31 pm

Never had an inspection but I think it best to keep everything perfectly in order just the same ... if a rifle normally stored the originally nominated address is temporarily absent I think u should be with it instead of stashing it somewhere u hope is safe from unauthorised access ... even if it’s a locked safe that might not b good enough for the dept .... perhaps weapons licencing allows more than one storage address ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 20 May 2022, 1:52 pm

No idea about QLD.

From talking to others, in vic they look for firearms, their serial numbers, and the permit (pink reciprocal of ownership page) and compare to their records.

The aim is record check and verify the firearms are present.

If you are wanting to do what you said in the other thread. Just talk to your local OMG guy, have some cash ready, and hope they are not an undercover informant. Or they don't take your money and not give you the weapon... or shoot you...lolz
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 20 May 2022, 1:55 pm

What i find funny is that you are asking what's basically an illegal activity on an open online forum
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 20 May 2022, 4:00 pm

Asking is not a crime, pal. I'm just sounding out ideas, probably won't do anything about it.

And I have no idea what a "OMG guy" is. :unknown:
Last edited by ramshackle on 20 May 2022, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 20 May 2022, 4:09 pm

Bring on more stupid questions :drinks:
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 20 May 2022, 4:15 pm

Thanks for your stupid comment :roll:
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 May 2022, 4:22 pm

ramshackle wrote:Some questions about firearms checks in QLD:

2. What would happen if one of the firearms was not present (let's say you are keeping it out on your farm, for instance)?
Thanks!

They know what we own, if anything is missing there's only 3 options.
It's been loaned ... they'll immediately follow that up.
It's at a dealership or gunsmith.... they'll immediately follow that up.
It's been lost or stolen ... get out the butt lube

Seriously, it's not worth messing around looking for some kind of loophole, they don't exist.

If you want to play the illegal ownership game your probably better off selling all your legally owed firearms and handling in your license first fir a couple of reasons...
Firstly, us LAFO's don't want to be associated with criminals who pretend to be LAFO'S
and secondly you'll probably be in more trouble if your caught as a licenced owner doing the wrong thing.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 20 May 2022, 4:30 pm

Yes. You dont need said lube for a fine. You’re going on holiday with shared accomodation and showers.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 May 2022, 5:25 pm

womble wrote:Yes. You dont need said lube for a fine. You’re going on holiday with shared accomodation and showers.

... where true love is expressed by using saliva as lubricant
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Peter988 » 20 May 2022, 6:13 pm

Thanks!

If you need to keep one at the farm then put it in a safe and notify the police that it’s stored there.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 20 May 2022, 7:29 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
womble wrote:Yes. You dont need said lube for a fine. You’re going on holiday with shared accomodation and showers.

... where true love is expressed by using saliva as lubricant

Lol

Lol

Troll :allegedly:
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2022, 7:56 pm

Thanks!

You would need to state exactly where the firearm is being stored, if you are keeping it at another property you are required to have notified them of the storage address. If your firearm is not present you would have to explain why and where it is.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2022, 7:58 pm

ramshackle wrote:Asking is not a crime, pal. I'm just sounding out ideas, probably won't do anything about it.

And I have no idea what a "OMG guy" is. :unknown:

You might be surprised, this is Australia after all. Plenty of people have had charges and lost their firearms without actually committing any crimes. Merely giving the appearance of not being a "fit and proper person" can be enough for the Commissioner to decide it is not in the public interest for you to retain a licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 20 May 2022, 8:13 pm

Not a problem, I'm selling the one I have and getting out of the firearms thing. It's simply too fraught here in Oz.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2022, 8:22 pm

ramshackle wrote:Not a problem, I'm selling the one I have and getting out of the firearms thing. It's simply too fraught here in Oz.

Hang onto your licence though, as long as you are licenced you can still enjoy shooting when opportunities arise with other people you meet in your travels.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws