Minimum property size for shooting

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Minimum property size for shooting

Post by JesseW97 » 18 Jun 2022, 9:14 pm

Hey there been a while since I have been on the forums and its good to be back. I was just wondering if anyone knows the laws when it comes to shooting on private property and the minimum land size? I have heard the usual take on this subject with the 40 acres or more but I've also been reading into this and there seems to be some mixed info about it. Some people are saying that the 40 acres is just a recommended size etc...

If anyone has any knowledge on this please get back to me as I rarely get to shoot my rifles anymore and would love to start again. I was going to book the range at SSAA but they now have restrictions on bullet velocity and sound which makes it near impossible for me to go and shoot my rifle (22-250) at the range as most of the bullets exceed 3500 FPS.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and hopefully someone has some answers for me.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Minimum property size for shooting

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2022, 11:58 pm

JesseW97 wrote:Hey there been a while since I have been on the forums and its good to be back. I was just wondering if anyone knows the laws when it comes to shooting on private property and the minimum land size? I have heard the usual take on this subject with the 40 acres or more but I've also been reading into this and there seems to be some mixed info about it. Some people are saying that the 40 acres is just a recommended size etc...

If anyone has any knowledge on this please get back to me as I rarely get to shoot my rifles anymore and would love to start again. I was going to book the range at SSAA but they now have restrictions on bullet velocity and sound which makes it near impossible for me to go and shoot my rifle (22-250) at the range as most of the bullets exceed 3500 FPS.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and hopefully someone has some answers for me.

No state has any legislated minimum property sizes for shooting, it just has to zoned to allow shooting (rural) and be safe to do so.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 19 Jun 2022, 12:42 am

JesseW97 wrote:I was going to book the range at SSAA but they now have restrictions on bullet velocity and sound which makes it near impossible for me to go and shoot my rifle (22-250) at the range as most of the bullets exceed 3500 FPS.

What are the range restrictions on sound and velocity?
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 19 Jun 2022, 9:43 am

Boundry Rider wrote:
JesseW97 wrote:I was going to book the range at SSAA but they now have restrictions on bullet velocity and sound which makes it near impossible for me to go and shoot my rifle (22-250) at the range as most of the bullets exceed 3500 FPS.

What are the range restrictions on sound and velocity?

Im pretty sure this is only for the Belmont ranges though.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 19 Jun 2022, 9:51 am

bladeracer wrote:
JesseW97 wrote:Hey there been a while since I have been on the forums and its good to be back. I was just wondering if anyone knows the laws when it comes to shooting on private property and the minimum land size? I have heard the usual take on this subject with the 40 acres or more but I've also been reading into this and there seems to be some mixed info about it. Some people are saying that the 40 acres is just a recommended size etc...

No state has any legislated minimum property sizes for shooting, it just has to zoned to allow shooting (rural) and be safe to do so.

Interesting. In terms of "safe to do so" what would that entail? Im guessing it just means you cant be shooting from within a certain distance from the road and has to have some sort of back fill with dirt etc to make sure you arent shooting into other peoples property and what not?
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by str8shutr » 19 Jun 2022, 1:54 pm

str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 19 Jun 2022, 1:57 pm

Yeah I have one of these filled out from a mate who owns property up in Kingaroy. The owner has since moved down around the city and am unsure if he still owns the property I would have to ask but its also a good 3+ hour drive for me to get there so thats why im trying to figure out if it is legal to shoot on property that is less then 40 acres.
Gamo Black Night - .177
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws