Legal to sell a spare magazine privately?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Legal to sell a spare magazine privately?

Post by RunRabbit » 29 Aug 2022, 5:54 pm

Just wondering if it's legal for me to list and sell a 10 shot 308 mag? I sold the rifle and I have the floorplate mag conversion and 10 shot mag that I want to sell but not sure if it will get me in trouble. The gun shop that I sold the rifle to, told me to sell it myself but can't find anything on the legality of it.
I'm in QLD.

Thanks in advance!
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Legal to sell a spare magazine privately?

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2022, 6:56 pm

RunRabbit wrote:Just wondering if it's legal for me to list and sell a 10 shot 308 mag? I sold the rifle and I have the floorplate mag conversion and 10 shot mag that I want to sell but not sure if it will get me in trouble. The gun shop that I sold the rifle to, told me to sell it myself but can't find anything on the legality of it.
I'm in QLD.

Thanks in advance!

I've been advised (by somebody that should know) that you need an armourer's licence to _modify_ a magazine in Queensland, but as far as I'm aware a magazine is not a regulated firearm part so there's no reason you can't sell it. If you're worried get a photo of the buyer's firearm licence just in case, but you probably don't even need a licence to buy or sell a magazine.

What does it fit? Somebody here might be interested in it. But an actual "for sale" post is not allowed here. If somebody is interested they can send you a private message.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RunRabbit » 29 Aug 2022, 7:15 pm

It's the Howa 1500 308 conversion and 10 shot mag. Worth about $220 and is pretty much brand new.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 30 Aug 2022, 12:56 am

deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 30 Aug 2022, 11:57 am

Pretty amusing that you can sell it as easy as that after hearing about your laws over there. I thought you guys even needed a firearms licence to own water if its going in a water pistol :sarcasm:
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2022, 12:17 pm

northdude wrote:Pretty amusing that you can sell it as easy as that after hearing about your laws over there. I thought you guys even needed a firearms licence to own water if its going in a water pistol :sarcasm:

I was surprised to see this morning that gel balls for gel blaster toys are classed as ammunition in NSW, you can't possess them unless you have a licence for a gel blaster :-)
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-08-30 121711.jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-30 121711.jpg (149.31 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws