Collectors license

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Collectors license

Post by willywonka22 » 05 Oct 2022, 1:55 am

Hey guys,
About to apply for collectors license and just needs some help. Joined a guild, done my cat C, D and H safety course (already got A&B) but wanna just confirm some things first.

Q1: are you allowed to have multiple themes or can you only have one theme for the collectors license when you apply for it?

Q2: what are some themes that people have used and gotten approved with? I’ve been collecting WW1-2 service rifles and 1800 rifles and pistols for some time now on my A&B (yes I do use them for sporting use as well so not technically collecting incorrectly on the A&B) so manly want my collectors for H and C firearms. Has anyone had success with (turn of the century USA firearm design and manufacture)?? And if u can have multiple themes (gun designs of John moses browning, service weapons of the 20th century and USA firearm design)

Q3: when applying is it easier to list ABC under “personal collection” and Cat H as the Collectors guild and use my membership and form from my guild secretary?

Thanks for any help it would be really appreciated!! Want to make sure I don’t f*** anything up or come across as a peanut to WLB
willywonka22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Collectors license

Post by yoshie » 05 Oct 2022, 12:39 pm

I've joined the SSAA Historical Arms Collectors Branch. My initial pistol has a Mauser HSc. In my PTA application I had to outline my theme. I chose pistols from 1900 to 1945 and it was rejected as too wide. I was allowed to change it to European pocket pistols, vest pocket pistols and service pistols, 1900 to 1945, and this was accepted. My latest pistol is a 1984 Makarov PM, note this falls outside my theme. I can collect it because it supports my collection of other pistols within my collection, (I have a Nagant and TT33). I've found the process fairly difficult to navigate and I don't think there is any set rules. The secretary at the SSAA has been very helpful however. Every new gun needs a supporting letter and its up to Weapons licensing to assess it on its merits.

I don't think you can have multiple themes, but I could be wrong on this.
Try and keep guns off your collector licence if you can. A&B don't need to be on it. Much better to keep them on a target licence, then you can shoot them. Also if you decide to quit collecting and not renew your licence, they don't have to be moved. My Nagant revolver and a Steyr M1912 are on my shooters licence, however they are part of my "collection".
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by willywonka22 » 05 Oct 2022, 10:27 pm

Thanks mate!

So you didn’t have to list a theme on the license application just when applying for the PTA?
willywonka22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Oct 2022, 3:01 am

willywonka22 wrote:Thanks mate!

So you didn’t have to list a theme on the license application just when applying for the PTA?

Every State is slightly different, in WA, as here in Vic, you will need to specify a theme to collect. It can be fairly broad, mine is Military, Para-Military & Police Small Arms 1850 to 1950. Best advice is to talk to other members in your Collectors Club about the application process, Claremont have info on their website about it, as well as a link to the WA Arms & Armour Society.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 06 Oct 2022, 6:31 am

willywonka22 wrote:Thanks mate!

With your PTA application you need to write a supporting letter, this is we're you justify why it fits your collection. I this can be fairly easy for pre 46 pistol. Post 46 can be trickier. You can't just collector post 46 pistols. You need to demonstrate a prolonged interest. My interest is WW2 and Cold war, I'd like to create a collection that show pre Ww1, ww1, ww2 and cold war pistols (and holsters) of all the major European powers
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by willywonka22 » 06 Oct 2022, 12:48 pm

Cheers Yoshie,
Sorry to bother you but just confirming. In your actual license application where u select personal collection ABCH you don’t have to nominate a theme of your collection then? Only when you apply for your first PTA is when the theme for the collection is set??

So if I put my theme as US designed and manufactured firearms as my theme I can still apply for a PTA for a Luger but list it under “historical value” and not under a theme?
willywonka22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 06 Oct 2022, 3:07 pm

Yes first PTA.

As for your second question, I not sure, I don't think so. I don't see how a Luger will fit into a collection of US firearms.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Oct 2022, 1:27 am

Sorry, I thought your post said you were in WA? Now I see you are in Qld, I'll have to lay off the rakia for a bit. When you apply for your licence you will have to submit a letter detailing your genuine reasons for collecting, as well as details of your storage to comply with S.88 of Regs. if you tick H, which you will if you want a Luger. In Vic I ticked all 4 themes as everything I collect has historical, thematic, commemorative and investment value for Qld the Secretary or other member of the Guild can advise.
(PS: Lugers can fit a theme for US Military and Police Arms as the US Army purchased 1000 of them for issue to West Point Academy and some other units, then a few 45cal Lugers were used in the 1906/7 trials, almost beat the Colt 1911 in the trials also,)
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws