Firearms license application wait QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Firearms license application wait QLD

Post by Nath » 15 May 2014, 8:57 pm

Hi guys,

I put a firearms application in 12 weeks ago today and a PTA in a couple of days after that (nice little Weatherby .308). I rang weapons licencing today and they were rude and told me they are hoping to get all applications started in 3-4 months and pretty much told me not to call them they will call me :evil: .

Anyway I know this thread has been done before but the one I found on here is a bit old and it seems the time frames are changing all the time. I thought I would throw this one up so anyone who has recently put an application in can follow this and have an idea of what's gong on.
Nath
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: firearms license application wait QLD

Post by WesleySnipes » 16 May 2014, 8:51 am

Nath wrote:Hi guys, I put a firearms application in 12 weeks ago today and a PTA in a couple of days after that (nice little weatherby .308). I rang weapons licencing today and they were rude and told me they are hoping to get all applications started in 3-4 months and pretty much told me not to call them they will call me :evil: .
Anyway I know this thread has been done before but the one I found on here is a bit old and it seems the time frames are changing all the time. I thought I would throw this one up so anyone who has recently put an application in can follow this and have an idea of what's gong on.

Seems like a pretty similar response to the one I've gotten a few times. I'm in NSW, but my license took in total after all forms were sent, I'd say around 4 months and then another month and a half for my first PTA to come back... Far longer than it says on any website, and I'm not surprised, all PTA's and forms are sent via mail and entered manually? In 2014?

Oh the red tape.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Firearms license application wait QLD

Post by brisb » 16 May 2014, 10:24 am

They sure don't like being called.

It actually says somewhere in the paper work if your application has been less than 12 weeks don't bother calling.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brisb » 16 May 2014, 10:25 am

Forgot about the wait times.

Yeah, on that subject. Seems it's up long wait times again at the moment.

Recent thread on here somewhere with guys at around the 6 week mark now without receiving there PTA back.

And that's after the 3 month wait for their license.

Nothing to do but wait.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 16 May 2014, 10:26 am

Same feedback I'm here at the moment. Long waits.

Some times it takes 2 weeks for a permit, sometimes months.

No way to know for sure until you put your paperwork in and wait.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 16 May 2014, 10:27 am

I've poked fun at QLD for this before joking about how fast VIC PTA times are.

Seriously though... It takes anywhere from a few hours to 1-2 days to get a PTA in VIC when a dealer submits it online for you.

Is QLD not working towards anything like this?

Seems it would be a burden off everyone if the dealer can just enter the details into their computer and having someone at the other end tick it off.

No?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brisb » 16 May 2014, 10:28 am

I haven't heard anything about a similar system being in the pipeline for QLD.

They're quite content to make us wait it seems.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 16 May 2014, 10:32 am

brisb wrote:Recent thread on here somewhere with guys at around the 6 week mark now without receiving there PTA back.

I'm at about 4 and counting for a permit now.

Already had my license and PTA's issued before that.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nath » 16 May 2014, 11:50 am

I did it all on line. They say it's much faster that way :lol:

Spoke to a lady at shooters union and she told me weapons licensing have put more staff on and once there trained they are hoping the back log of applications will start getting done.

Not holding my breath
Nath
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 16 May 2014, 2:06 pm

I'm not a firearms dealer but here there is (or so there appears) more to the online system than just saving the few days of mail time with a paper application.

There are two options here in Vic...

As mentioned when a dealer submits it online it can take as little as a few hours. Seems the data is all sent direct into the computer systems of the fuzz and they just give it the tick and your done.

Other option is the shooter sends a paper application and it still takes a couple of weeks or a month. There's more waiting time than just the mailing delay.

Seems when you QLD blokes do it your electronic applications it just gets printed out at the other end of thrown in the pile anyway...
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Nath » 22 May 2014, 12:35 pm

So 13 weeks today since I put my application in. Spoke to a much nicer lady today than the last few times I've called.

My file has an assessor finally so once the checks are done I will be at the stage of going to the police station to do the identity check.

Not long now hopefully.
Nath
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Skadoo » 23 May 2014, 1:57 pm

Just sucks that there even is an assessor, how about

"Are you a convicted criminal or do you have any criminal charges pending against you?"

"No."

"Assessment over, here is your paperwork back."

Surely it must only take the cops a minute to look someone's history up?

Name, DOB, drivers license, whatever... Done and dusted.
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Nath » 29 May 2014, 1:51 pm

14 weeks. Called again and have been told the assessor still has a few things she needs to do. Still no straight answer on when I will get to the ID stage. Weapons licensing Queensland is a circus act and should have the Benny Hill theme song as there hold music.
Nath
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jays » 30 May 2014, 2:59 pm

Skadoo wrote:Surely it must only take the cops a minute to look someone's history up?

I don't know how detailed this is, but there is something to that.

Short version of the story I called VIC Pol a while ago to ask about storing a friends rifle temporarily. His license was due for renewal and he was worried it might expire before the paperwork got processed leaving him holding a firearm without a license for a time.

The bloke on the other end of the phone just asked for my name and address and asked what the rifle was, and tapped away on the computer for a minute and said it was all good. Obviously they have a bit about you readily available.
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by von_klitzing » 30 May 2014, 4:15 pm

I just put a PTA in on Tuesday, will see how long it takes ;)

If you are decided on the caliber and make of your intended rifle, you could always submit a PTA before you even start looking for the rifle, as the PTA doesn't require a serial number.

That way you have six months to find what you want. When you do find it you can pay over the counter and hand the PTA over straight away! I bet that would raise some eyebrows at most gun stores lol!
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by von_klitzing » 30 May 2014, 8:33 pm

Check this out from the QGE website front page in bold letters:
---------------------------------------------------
Here are a few tips to speed up the online application process:-
When you are acquiring a firearm through a QLD Dealer answer “YES” to the following question:-
“Is the firearm/weapon you are acquiring currently held by the registered owner?”

And when completing the details of the firearm only supply the required fields which are denoted by an asterisk “ * ”
Note you are NOT required to fill in the serial number, make or model and should always leave these fields blank.
QGE will fill in the correct details on your PTA and forward this to Weapons Licencing Branch.
------------------------------------------------
Some good hints right there! http://www.qldgunexchange.com/QGEWeb/home.seam
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by benn1124 » 02 Jun 2014, 5:30 pm

hi guys,

submitted my licence application using weapons aplication online on saturday and had my first pta submitted today online aswell will see how long ti takes to hear back when i called the other day to ask a question about somethign else they told me that there was an 8 week wait at this point in time on licences so fingers crossed its only about 2 months
Walther century .177 CZ 452 .17HMR
.22LR puma .22LR Browning BL22
.223 tikka 30/30 marlin
.308 tikka
benn1124
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 0423socket » 02 Jun 2014, 8:47 pm

Hi all,

So I did my WAO 5 days after Nath so that puts me at the 13 week mark roughly. I last spoke to weapons licensing on Friday and I was told that "the assessors aren't up to that day yet" I understand that they are busy and they have a large number of applications to process, but fair go. They are more than willing to take 500 big ones off my hands before i can even lodge an application, so how hard is it for them to try and be a little more helpful.

I only want what I have paid for or at the very least some form of insight as to how long i have to wait. ive got two rifles that are paid for and am nearing the verge of paying storage fees every fortnight for until i get my licence. any way thank you for being here for me to vent some frustrations.

Cheers jake.
0423socket
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by brisb » 03 Jun 2014, 11:39 am

0423socket wrote:I last spoke to weapons licensing on Friday and I was told that "the assessors aren't up to that day yet" I understand that they are busy and they have a large number of applications to process, but fair go.

They have all that coffee and donuts that need eating before they get to our paperwork.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by benn1124 » 04 Jun 2014, 7:23 pm

i emailed WAO on sunday got a reply today saying ,

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your enquiry into the back log of applications Weapons Licensing is currently experiencing.

The take up rate for the new online weapons applications has exceeded expectations with over 77000 applications received to date; this is a 36% increase in the number of new applications received in comparison to the same period last year.

Applications are being processed in order of receipt and will be determined as soon as practicable after any mandatory waiting periods as required by the Weapons Act 1990 and Weapons Regulation 1996.

The majority of applications are currently being processed within 12-13 weeks from lodgement date, dependent on the time taken to collate, verify, assess and finalise applications. Factors that affect the time taken to process and application include the number of applications received each day, the complexity of the applications, the completeness of the application and the accuracy of information within the supporting documents.

Online PTA applications are being processed within 5-7 business days from lodgement date.

Weapons Licensing apologises for any inconvenience that this has caused; we are working as hard as we can to process your application.

Thank you for your enquiry and your patience is greatly appreciated.

Should you have any further enquiries do not hesitate to contact Weapons Licensing on (07) 3015 7777, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.

hope this helps
Walther century .177 CZ 452 .17HMR
.22LR puma .22LR Browning BL22
.223 tikka 30/30 marlin
.308 tikka
benn1124
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 0423socket » 04 Jun 2014, 7:50 pm

I got an email from WAO this afternoon tellin me to go to the police station for my id check, quick stop to local cop shop and docs were copied and form copied and sent off so fingers crossed a week or two more and ill have my licence. will keep you posted on progress.
0423socket
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by fenderstrat » 05 Jun 2014, 11:52 am

Same here, i got an email asking me to got to the police station for an id check, after 12 weeks to the day. Does anyone knows if this mean that its basically been approved or are they still checking?
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brisb » 05 Jun 2014, 3:33 pm

0423socket wrote:I got an email from WAO this afternoon tellin me to go to the police station for my id check, quick stop to local cop shop and docs were copied and form copied and sent off so fingers crossed a week or two more and ill have my licence. will keep you posted on progress.

So what's that, about 15-16 weeks from start to finish for you?

Too long!
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 05 Jun 2014, 3:34 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Same here, i got an email asking me to got to the police station for an id check, after 12 weeks to the day. Does anyone knows if this mean that its basically been approved or are they still checking?

Just the last of the formalities. You should have it shortly after.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 0423socket » 05 Jun 2014, 4:18 pm

brisb wrote:So what's that, about 15-16 weeks from start to finish for you?

Too long!

Yeah, pretty much.
0423socket
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by 0423socket » 05 Jun 2014, 4:21 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Same here, i got an email asking me to got to the police station for an id check, after 12 weeks to the day. Does anyone knows if this mean that its basically been approved or are they still checking?

Mate i rang weapons licencing today and asked the same question and the lady told me that once the police confirm you are who you say you are it should take 1-2 weeks to recieve your licence.
0423socket
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by von_klitzing » 06 Jun 2014, 7:27 am

Got my PTA yesterday (qld). Online PTA took 9 days... Although this is not my first one.
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 06 Jun 2014, 7:37 am

My LGS had my latest online PTA back in 4 hours and told me the best he's experienced is THREE MINUTES! Sorry fellas.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by von_klitzing » 06 Jun 2014, 7:44 am

Daaaamn. I don't see how they can post out the form in 3 minutes lol.
Tic
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 06 Jun 2014, 8:09 am

von_klitzing wrote:Daaaamn. I don't see how they can post out the form in 3 minutes lol.
Tic

LOL ... Yep time to move to Victoria I be thinking.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws