Can you renew gun license early?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Can you renew gun license early?

Post by MtnMan » 06 Jun 2023, 5:42 pm

My license expires in a little over 12 months.

With the cost of everything skyrocketing I had the thought of renewing early. Even if I forgo the year I have paid for that hasn't expired yet and lock in now before July 1st, I would be ahead long term.

After an interest rate rise again today I read that QLD rego is going up 25%. Which tells me that a gun license will be in hyperinflation territory.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Can you renew gun license early?

Post by JohnV » 07 Jul 2023, 12:43 pm

You should just contact the QLD registry and ask them . I would not use the money saving reason . Tell them you will be away from home right at the renewal period . Be polite , they must have this happen quite a bit .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by yoshie » 09 Jul 2023, 6:06 pm

You can submit a renewal early but it just sits in a queue and gets processed with everyone else who is renewing at the same time as you. I know someone who was going to be overseas when it expired and it wasn't a problem to submit early. He did send them a email explaining why and his contact details while over seas.
I suspect that if the cost of your renewal goes up between now and the renewal date they'll be in touch to let you know they need more money, or just cancel it because the fee amount is incorrect.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by JimTom » 10 Jul 2023, 6:18 am

You can submit it 3mths early mate. They will send you a renewal package via email when you can do if. I had mine back in around 4 weeks after I submitted it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 21 Jul 2023, 7:19 pm

Got my licence renewal letter back to go to Service NSW (RTA) last Tuesday . So that's good . The firearms registry is actually very helpful and efficient I have found .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Larry » 24 Jul 2023, 8:23 am

JohnV wrote:Got my licence renewal letter back to go to Service NSW (RTA) last Tuesday . So that's good . The firearms registry is actually very helpful and efficient I have found .

They seem helpful and are very nice people on the phone but the system is extremely inefficient to the point that incompetency seems to be the real problem.

It just took me 7 weeks to have a gun transferred to me after buying it from interstate. That is before I could get my hands on it.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Blr243 » 09 Oct 2023, 7:27 pm

I have also found them very friendly and helpful on the phone but somewhat useless otherwise
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Oct 2023, 7:30 pm

Imagine licence renewals. And pta. And applications. Day in dsy out. Same thing forever. If anyone has to that for a job it would be so boring. Paperwork and coffee. It would drive anyone insane
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws