Transfer Cat-B rifle from NSW to QLD Licenceholder

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Transfer Cat-B rifle from NSW to QLD Licenceholder

Post by Jorlcrin » 10 Oct 2023, 12:06 pm

Folks,

Query on behalf of a friend(James) in QLD; James holds a QLD Cat A/B firearms license.

James' brother lives in the Hunter Valley in NSW, and has a registered Cat B rifle on his license, that he is planning to give to James here in QLD.

What has to be done by each party to transfer this weapon to James' license here in QLD?

I'm assuming James would need to submit a PTA, and that the weapon would need to be handled/brokered by a dealer(at each end?).
But my question is what paperwork the brother in NSW has to do, given it's going to be removed from the NSW registry, and added to the QLD registry.

I'm assuming someone here will have done this exact same transfer in the recent past?

Thanks in advance.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Transfer Cat-B rifle from NSW to QLD Licenceholder

Post by bladeracer » 10 Oct 2023, 12:25 pm

Jorlcrin wrote:Folks,

Query on behalf of a friend(James) in QLD; James holds a QLD Cat A/B firearms license.

James' brother lives in the Hunter Valley in NSW, and has a registered Cat B rifle on his license, that he is planning to give to James here in QLD.

What has to be done by each party to transfer this weapon to James' license here in QLD?

I'm assuming James would need to submit a PTA, and that the weapon would need to be handled/brokered by a dealer(at each end?).
But my question is what paperwork the brother in NSW has to do, given it's going to be removed from the NSW registry, and added to the QLD registry.

I'm assuming someone here will have done this exact same transfer in the recent past?

Thanks in advance.

The "seller" doesn't need to do any paperwork. He takes the rifle to his dealer who transfers it off the owner's licence onto their dealer licence, and they notify Firearms Licencing. His dealer then sends it to the "buyer's" Qld dealer. When the new owner has his permit he goes and collects it from his dealer who transfers it to his licence. It doesn't become a "weapon" until it reaches the Qld dealer, until then it remains a "firearm". They will have to work out which of the parties is going to payer the transfer fees and postage costs.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 1776 » 10 Oct 2023, 1:35 pm

It is no different then if it was sold to someone in NSW. It has to be brokered by a dealer.

The seller drops it off to his dealer in NSW. That dealer then sends it to the QLD dealer. If the buyer is licensed to posses the firearm he can collect it from from the dealer. He will require a PTA unless he does a like for like swap(depending on calibre and action of the new firearm).

Both dealers will need to be paid and whatever payment the buyer and seller agree on.
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jorlcrin » 11 Oct 2023, 6:13 am

Bladeracer,

Many thanks for that info.
So, from what you've written, it's the receiving dealer that does the paperwork to remove the 'Firearm' from the NSW registry, and turn it into a 'Weapon' in QLD?
Have I read that right?

I shall pass it on.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2023, 10:09 am

Jorlcrin wrote:Bladeracer,

Many thanks for that info.
So, from what you've written, it's the receiving dealer that does the paperwork to remove the 'Firearm' from the NSW registry, and turn it into a 'Weapon' in QLD?
Have I read that right?

I shall pass it on.

Essentially, yes. It's all online nowadays so Firearms Licencing will be advised immediately that the firearm is no longer licenced to you when it goes onto your dealer's licence. The data rarely seems to get out to the officers on the ground very quickly though so a storage inspection even months later could still show you own it, so hang onto any paperwork you have just in case you need to explain it - a receipt from your dealer for example. When it arrives at the Qld dealer, he'll put it onto his dealer licence at which point it falls under the QLD Weapons Act, so people up there tend to call firearms "weapons", though technically they're still just firearms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws