In The Clear?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

In The Clear?

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Nov 2023, 4:42 pm

My application to renew came on Monday morning and I hastened like a Hunted Animal, to examine it. On the second sheet of paper, that I had printed out, were the words, "No Weapons Are Registered To This Licence".
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hurriedly I emailed back and told them that I had a lot of guns, some for more than sixty years. Then I waited. To my surprise, an email came this morning, stating that they thought my guns were in safekeeping, with a dealer (long story :( ). The lady who wrote told me that she wants a form but the only one I have is from when I handed the guns in for safekeeping. The dealer reckons he sent them a form (Form 10). So. He has passed the buck.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: In The Clear?

Post by womble » 01 Nov 2023, 5:01 pm

Almost as competent as vics registry
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 01 Nov 2023, 7:33 pm

My interaction with them certainly showed they were a disorganised rabble. The mistakes they have made are numerous, and show no understanding of the job. So the workers have no firearms knowledge. Very poor.

I have a couple of mistakes on mine (minor, and of no real concern to me) and I have made two attempts to havce it corrected without success. I coud also list all their other mistakes, but my time is better spent watching the cricket methinks.

In your case, you will need to persist, so good luck.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Nov 2023, 9:42 am

Thank you, GQ.
It does not surprise me but is disappointing nonetheless, to hear of your experience. No doubt, someone somewhere, choked on Red Tape, some of their brain cells died and what followed was a stuff-up.
I will take your advice, GQ. I've been through worse with them.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 02 Nov 2023, 10:13 am

The dealer should give you a copy of the form 10 when you drop off (acquired from) and pick up a firearm (deposited to).

The dealer has by law 14 days to notify an authorised officer in the approved form after each transaction happens. So most dealers use registered post for each transaction whilst some of the big dealers are set up digitally.

The dealer will also have a form 16 which is a register of transactions which will have your firearms listed with the date of deposit and date of disposal.

What would of happened is the mail the dealer sent to weapons licensing got lost on delivery or upon arrival by the authorsied officer.

It is not a big deal because the firearms are still legally registered and you are legally authorised to posses them (even though the authorised officer thinks the dealer currently posseses them).
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 02 Nov 2023, 8:00 pm

We can only hope that one day they improve. It is terrible for a "user pays" service, where there is no actual service.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 03 Nov 2023, 6:44 am

ALL firearms registries are riddled with un fixable, institutionalised incompetence!
I bought a very nice Snider Carbine from Tazzy (where everything is registered and doesn’t even have to registered in Vic) my dealer lodged the transfer paperwork and the incompetent clown show in Victoria FAR lost it.
30 days gone.
My dealer lodged it again. The f&@k wits at FAR lost it again!
60 days gone and FAR are now in breech of their laws TWICE!
How have they not lost their dealers license????
My dealer lodges the paper work a third time and the clown show sends me a please explain why I need another. I reply appropriately.
38 days later the transfer is done - now NINETY EIGHT days to transfer a four digit serial number from one list to another!
At 100 days I was going to be getting MPs, ombudsman and everyone else I could think of involved. I had the very nasty letter already written.
These imbeciles couldn’t run a chook raffle in a pub!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Nov 2023, 11:09 am

You must be Hopping Mad, Noisydad. No one would blame you.
All the best mate. You must have teriffic patience.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Nov 2023, 4:12 pm

Update
A couple of weeks have passed since my first post here and after hearing nothing, I emailed the policeperson with whom I made first contact. I wanted to know if my guns were registered to my name again. The respnse was that they had emailed the dealer 2/11/2023, without a response from him. I was advised to get in touch with the dealer. My reply has probably gotten up her nose but after all they are the cops and it is their job, isn't it?

Or is it? Who is responsible. I do not blame myself, after all it is their precious bureaucracy, not mine.
What does the Forum reckon?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 15 Nov 2023, 5:41 pm

There is thousand of guns they have details on but not who owns them and many shooters who they have details on them but don't know what guns they have registered or have missed some of their guns . That's what many safe inspections were all about trying to pick up some of those mistakes . My advice is don't make any complaints just yet . It takes time to sort this kind of stuff out . You don't won't to upset anyone as the Police might just lob and remove your unregistered guns . Stay calm be polite and just work through it . The firearms registry or Police will be trying to work out what you should have and if they can't do that then you need that dealer to come up with documentation of what you had in safe keeping and send that to them . Also you should have copies of the registration papers of each gun ? If that all fails ask the registry or Police if they can send you new registration forms to get them on the books . If that fails you could see a firearms lawyer .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 15 Nov 2023, 7:44 pm

My method is to look after No1 first, and that means I will do whatever it takes to make things go smoothly. We are in a very poor position, where we have no recourse other than to take legal action as a last resort. My experience is that you are not dealing with a police officer, they are just hired administrators with no firearms knowledge. As an example, can you imagine anyone with firearms knowledge listing a Browning BLR as "bolt" action, and the model as "Leupold"? Or on a PTA where the seriel number was left blank, they took it upon themselves to complete it, and put the wrong number in, rendering the PTA incorrect. Twice they did this on the same PTA. Hopeless.

I would do what I can to help fix it asap. I understand it is not your fault, but it is your problem. I would get on to the dealer.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Nov 2023, 11:13 am

Thank you GQshayne and JohnV.
In an email received this morning, the police reckon that the dealer should have given me a F10, when my guns were returned. Presumably, I should have given it to the police.
I will be going to talk to the dealer this afternoon to try to clear this business up.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 16 Nov 2023, 1:56 pm

As I commented earlier, these clowns have had THIRTY years - a whole generation and hundreds of millions of dollars to work out how to compile a list of property against the appropriate names and they STILL can’t do it!
If that’s not institutional incompetence I dunno what is!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Nov 2023, 7:05 pm

There has been what appears to be (said he cautiously) progress. I have my suspicions about the whole thing and the way it went this arvo. Others have had their experiences, like Noisydad above; the latest to vent against the system. I will hold my fire for a while. I am not In The Clear yet.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: In The Clear? UPDATE 2

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Nov 2023, 8:37 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:My application to renew came on Monday morning and I hastened like a Hunted Animal, to examine it. On the second sheet of paper, that I had printed out, were the words, "No Weapons Are Registered To This Licence".
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hurriedly I emailed back and told them that I had a lot of guns, some for more than sixty years. Then I waited. To my surprise, an email came this morning, stating that they thought my guns were in safekeeping, with a dealer (long story :( ). The lady who wrote told me that she wants a form but the only one I have is from when I handed the guns in for safekeeping. The dealer reckons he sent them a form (Form 10). So. He has passed the buck.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Nov 2023, 8:48 am

This email came this morning:----
"Thank you for supplying the F10, the weapons have now been transferred to your licence.
No further action is required on your part."

H. O. O. R. A. A. A. Y. Y. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you everyone
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 18 Nov 2023, 7:27 pm

Good stuff.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 13 Dec 2023, 8:42 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:This email came this morning:----
"Thank you for supplying the F10, the weapons have now been transferred to your licence.

Thank you everyone
That's good news mate . This kind of thing is very stressful on a person .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Dec 2023, 8:55 am

JohnV wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:This email came this morning:----

Thank you everyone
That's good news mate . This kind of thing is very stressful on a person .

You could have knocked me down with a feather when I realised my guns weren't legal but it's all good now mate :clap:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws