PTA for buy a firearm from a relative

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

PTA for buy a firearm from a relative

Post by Pighunter » 11 Dec 2023, 9:55 am

Sorry if this is a really dumb question but I'm buying a .303 from my cousin and I honestly have no idea who to do the PTA. I've only ever bought from shops and I've asked a few people and gotten different answers.

Who do I list as the disposer? Him? The Gunshop that will do the transfer?

And then after I receive the PTA I assume both him and I go to the gunshop to do the transfer there?
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: PTA for buy a firearm from a relative

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Dec 2023, 1:33 pm

If the gunshop is witnessing the transfer then your cousin is the disposer, and both go together to do the transfer.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Pighunter » 11 Dec 2023, 4:59 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:If the gunshop is witnessing the transfer then your cousin is the disposer, and both go together to do the transfer.

Thank you very much.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by GQshayne » 11 Dec 2023, 7:41 pm

I have done this in Qld but not this year, and I suggest you contact the dealer you intend to use and ask them. They will be submitting the PTA, so you can do it as they require.

I did this on my own at the dealer, no need for the second person. Be aware, that when applying for the PTA your dealer will likely advise you to NOT complete the serial number. This creates unnecessary problems, and the dealer acn complete it when the transfer is completed. Check with them to make sure you get it right, before you apply for the PTA.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 16 Dec 2023, 7:36 am

The disposer is who has ownership of the firearm. So if the dealer is the disposer your mate would have to submit it to the shop then they transfer it to you. Or if you put him as the disposer he will need to write a letter that he relinquishes ownership and you would go to the dealer to broker the trade.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws