Transferring within Qld but city to city

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Transferring within Qld but city to city

Post by CALibre » 22 Jan 2024, 11:34 am

I’m trying to understand my obligations for purchasing a firearm from someone from a different city. I have a pta for said firearm to my dealer but the seller is 700km away. My understanding is he can transfer the firearm to his dealer who can then send the firearm to my dealer who has my pta and I can then complete the transfer and pick up firearm. Is this correct or do I need to provide pta to seller. I had no plans to travel that far.
CALibre
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Transferring within Qld but city to city

Post by daza » 26 Jan 2024, 10:34 am

CALibre wrote:...My understanding is he can transfer the firearm to his dealer who can then send the firearm to my dealer who has my pta and I can then complete the transfer and pick up firearm...

Got it in one.

Darren
daza
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2024, 11:33 am

CALibre wrote:I’m trying to understand my obligations for purchasing a firearm from someone from a different city. I have a pta for said firearm to my dealer but the seller is 700km away. My understanding is he can transfer the firearm to his dealer who can then send the firearm to my dealer who has my pta and I can then complete the transfer and pick up firearm. Is this correct or do I need to provide pta to seller. I had no plans to travel that far.

Sounds correct to me. Seller doesn't need to see a permit. He passes ownership over to his dealer, who then sends it to your dealer. You only need the permit to collect it from your dealer.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 26 Jan 2024, 11:48 am

Your overlooking how QLD is the only state who allows shipping to your home. So submit the PTA to the sellers dealer and he can send it to you directly. Why send it from one dealer to another just for you to have to go pick it up?
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 26 Jan 2024, 3:58 pm

Whilst posting a firearm can be done the seller would be best to say "no way" to that approach, in the unusual and rare occasion that Australia Post or other courier loses the package somebody, likely the seller, is going to have WLB giving them a hard time.

Also, it would change the way the PTA is requested as the seller would need to be named on it rather than your local dealer. With your dealer named on the PTA the only way you can proceed is with a transfer which usually costs about $50.
The seller gets paid and takes the firearm to their dealer, their dealer sends it to your dealer, then you use your PTA with your dealer named as seller and pay the transfer fee to collect your firearm.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CALibre » 04 Mar 2024, 3:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Process went smooth as, hardest part was not knowing when firearm was due to arrive at my gun store as senders store don’t give tracking number.
CALibre
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws