Firearm License - Leatherman MultiTools - Queensland

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Firearm License - Leatherman MultiTools - Queensland

Post by Mark.A » 11 Dec 2014, 8:35 am

Hello All,

Have a question like always, I was told the other day in passing, that if you hold a shooters license, and you are caught with a 'Bladed Weapon, that is folding' you will essentially loose your privelidge and be thrown into a dark damp hole for a unknown period of time.

I am a technician, I carry a multi tool, that does have several 'Bladed' tools in it (Just a leatherman with a small knife, and a serrated edge cutting tool), it is a folding bladed weapon, if you where to think about it, I am just curious, is there anyone out there that has any real thoughts or information on this? Pertaining to QLD.. (I wish there was just one federal set of rules for everything, and we could just get rid of this state by state.. end complaint)

Mark
And thats the way it is..

Proud owner of

Zastava .17HMR .22 .22WMR .223
Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

and other odds and bobs..
Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Firearm License - Leatherman MultiTools - Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 11 Dec 2014, 6:11 pm

I imagine you are fine to carry it as you have a lawful reason to carry it. IE you need it for your job.

Load of s**t really, why would I have a $160 leatherman to use ase its small blade as a weapon?

Why not just get a KA-BAR for $100?

But hey.....
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 11 Dec 2014, 6:47 pm

I think you're fine during working hours as above, just don't try the same excuse when your out on Saturday night.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cuvy » 11 Dec 2014, 7:19 pm

I think (i am not a lawyer) that it is more to do with the possibility of being charged with a weapons offence (for a knife) leading to you having your fireams license revoked because of said prosecution.

Two main points to consider (it is worth reading the weapons act, weapons regulations and weapons categories regulation for yourself, but this is quite a task):
- you need a "reasonable excuse" to be in possession of a knife. Work, and something along the lines of "general utility" are some of the reasonable excuses listed
- the knife mustn't be a prohibited type

The prohibited type can be a bit tricky - there is one that is along the lines of "a folding knife that can be opened with one hand that is intended to be used as a weapon". Some would argue that a spiderco would fall into that category, others would not. A leatherman wave might also fit into that category, since you can open the blade one handed.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 11 Dec 2014, 7:24 pm

Having a firearms licence and a knife have nothing to do with each other. You need to have a valid reason to be in possession of a firearm, i.e. going to or from a gun range, gunsmith, property you have permission to shoot on, etc. A knife is the same, if you have a reason you should be ok, the problem with the knife laws is they are ambitious and it's up to the police officer to determine the validity of your excuse. But the 2 are separate. If your convicted of unlawful possession it will have an impact on your gun licence, just as domestic violence, assaults, drug related convictions do.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Westy » 11 Dec 2014, 7:26 pm

Wow and the world turned to s**t!!! I carry a folding pocket knife in my bag nearly everywhere I go and I never get hassled,mind you I don't get the thing out and wave it around the place well not in Queensland at present.....

Might end up on the news as a unfortunate shooting Victim by the Queensland police!!!!

if I'm ever asked will say I'm a chippie and need it for work,I mean I use a lot more dangerous equipment than a 4" folding buck knife week in week out building commercial buildings!!! FFS
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 12 Dec 2014, 10:25 am

Muddling a few different things here... Half of which have nothing to do with each other.

1) There is no automatic cancellation of your firearms license for simply being in possession of a knife.

2) Carrying a knife isn't not illegal, you just need a reasonable excuse. e.g. Chef on his way to work with a roll of knives, going fishing, knife if your picnic basket while sitting at the park, etc. etc. etc.

Getting found with a ka-bar down your pants in a bar on a Saturday night definitely not ok.

3) Gaining a criminal conviction would cost you your license, and could come as a result of a knife related offence, e.g. the Saturday night example above.

Carrying a multi-tool to, during and from work as a tradesman is fine.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brisb » 12 Dec 2014, 10:29 am

This should cover everything Mark.

Direct from QLD Pol.

Can I carry a knife for work purposes?
It is a reasonable excuse to physically possess a knife to perform a lawful activity, duty or employment; to participate in a lawful entertainment, recreation or sport, for exhibiting the knife or for use for a lawful purpose. Examples as quoted in Section 51 of the Weapons Act 1990 are:

• A person may carry a knife on his or her belt for performing work in primary production
  • A scout may carry a knife on his or her belt as part of the scout uniform
  • A person may carry a knife as an accessory while playing in a pipe band
  • A fisher may carry a knife for use while fishing
  • A person who collects knives may exhibit them at a fete or another public gathering
  • A person may use a knife to prepare or cut food at a restaurant in a public place or when having a picnic in a park; or
  • A person may carry a pen knife or swiss army knife for use for its normal utility purpose.

Some knives are always illegal, butterfly knives etc. More on that here - Category M bladed weapons information.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Dec 2014, 11:02 am

What happened to this country. A knife is not a wepon untill used as such. I carry a knife by my side every day. I never know what I am going to use it for next, it might be cutting rope, skinning a rabbit, cleaning under my nails, slicing food, removing testicles from a calf, opening stubborn packaging or scraping a gasket from a engine part.

We can thank the sudonese for this ridiculous law, it was made a offense to carry a knife in public in the mid 90's If my memory servs me correctly after a string of stabbings in the sudonese community. In adelaide a sudonese kid got into a argument with another non reflective mate of his, he walked into a large retail store, went into the fishing section, bought a large knife, went back outside and killed the other lad.

I guess its more a matter of having the right answer for the brass when they ask " why do you have a knife on you ? " For me its for work if its during work hours or to or from work, for hunting or d.i.y. after hours and if I ever feel the need to head into town and go to the cassino or a night club ( like thats ever going to happen ) id leave it at home.

I've been sprung in Melbourne airport with my knife, it was no problem, the bloke at the xray machine pointed me to a counter where I could post it to myself.

One of these days it will be an offensive to carry a clenched fist or a angry expression on your face.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Dec 2014, 11:13 am

brisb wrote:This should cover everything Mark.

Direct from QLD Pol.

It is a reasonable excuse to physically possess a knife to perform a lawful activity, duty or employment; to participate in a lawful entertainment, recreation or sport, for exhibiting the knife or for use for a lawful purpose. Examples as quoted in Section 51 of the Weapons Act 1990 are:

• A person may carry a knife on his or her belt for performing work in primary production
  • A fisher may carry a knife for use while fishing7
  • A person who collects knives may exhibit them at a fete or another public gathering
  • A person may use a knife to prepare or cut food at a restaurant in a public place or when having a picnic in a park; or
  • A person may carry a pen knife or swiss army knife for use for its normal utility purpose.

Some knives are always illegal, butterfly knives etc. More on that here - Category M bladed weapons information.

I like the last one " A person may carry a pen knife or swiss army knife for use for its normal utility purpose " hopefully thats the case in SA to.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by whert » 12 Dec 2014, 1:49 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I've been sprung in Melbourne airport with my knife, it was no problem, the bloke at the xray machine pointed me to a counter where I could post it to myself.

Don't get caught with nail scissors though! Those are serious! :roll:
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Dec 2014, 6:28 pm

Spot on Brisb..

If you want to see some action. Put a backpack through the airport X-ray machine with a Trout fishing spinner in the pocket! Talk about personal service from Airport Security & AFP. Great!

cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 13 Dec 2014, 5:40 am

on_one_wheel wrote:One of these days it will be an offensive to carry a clenched fist or a angry expression on your face.

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I feel your pain One wheel the place is mad :x :x :x
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 13 Dec 2014, 11:08 am

RoginaJack wrote:If you want to see some action. Put a backpack through the airport X-ray machine with a Trout fishing spinner in the pocket! Talk about personal service from Airport Security & AFP. Great!

Don't tell me you couldn't take a fishing hook on the plane...
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by subatom » 13 Dec 2014, 11:09 am

I'm still waiting to get picked up at the explosive testing thing at the airport :lol:

Should be an experience...
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by brisb » 13 Dec 2014, 11:10 am

RoginaJack wrote:Spot on Brisb.

I get one right from time to time :D
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 13 Dec 2014, 11:15 am

subatom wrote:I'm still waiting to get picked up at the explosive testing thing at the airport :lol:

Should be an experience...

I spent a whole day loading up ammo and then took the wife to the airport without washing my hands or changing my clothes. I got picked to have an explosive test and it came up negative. I think they must look for a different explosive.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

Gregg wrote:Don't tell me you couldn't take a fishing hook on the plane...

Dead right! And the hooks were used to catch Trout, about size 10. You'd be flat out getting a magot ("Gents") onto the hook. I had to take the small back pack with only the spinner in it and book it through as luggage!

Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Mark.A » 15 Dec 2014, 7:58 am

on_one_wheel wrote: One of these days it will be an offensive to carry a clenched fist or a angry expression on your face.

I have an ex wife, who has an exceptionally poor attitude, and loves to try to breech me, generates a pile of paperwork, and I get in trouble all the time for my 'poor attitude' towards her, So yes, it is an offence to have an upset or angry expression on your face in this country...

Mine is more a look of bewilderment, that we just cant get along.. but .. thats a good example..

Mark

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mark.A » 15 Dec 2014, 7:59 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
brisb wrote:This should cover everything Mark.

Direct from QLD Pol.

• A fisher may carry a knife for use while fishing7

I like the last one " A person may carry a pen knife or swiss army knife for use for its normal utility purpose " hopefully thats the case in SA to.

Thats what I thought, thanks :)

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mark.A » 15 Dec 2014, 8:02 am

Gregg wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:If you want to see some action. Put a backpack through the airport X-ray machine with a Trout fishing spinner in the pocket! Talk about personal service from Airport Security & AFP. Great!

Don't tell me you couldn't take a fishing hook on the plane...

I went on a plane once.. it was most amusing... here is the story..

In my day to day job, I normally have a pocket full of tools and screwdrivers and other odds and bobs, I had to go to an interstate site to fix something that couldnt be fixed by the local guys, all good.

Now, My laptop bag, carries leads, wires, tools a knife, a laptop, connection equipment, and other stuff needed for my job. I forgot that I had all of this in there, and went through X-Ray.. Didnt even phase them.. I didnt realise until I got at my destination, that I had all of that in there still.. Sorry!!!! It was unintentional. The amusing part of this little expidition was that I had 1 x double ended 1/8" drill bit in my bottom cargo pocket, I didnt even know it was there.. The only thing that these guys did was fall short of calling the AFP, I nearly had the place on lockdown, as I had a drill bit in my pocket..

I do find it amusing at time...

Mark

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by joojoobeans » 15 Dec 2014, 12:07 pm

All that and they still give you metal cutlery on planes.

Smart huh.
joojoobeans
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Queensland gun laws