A different perspective on the impact of gun laws

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

A different perspective on the impact of gun laws

Post by cuvy » 21 Jan 2015, 10:39 pm

A perspective I'd never heard of or thought of before - the impact of gun laws on the training needs of defense force personnel (would also probably apply to police, both regular and tactical units)

http://www.aspistrategist.org.au/digger ... -gun-laws/
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: A different perspective on the impact of gun laws

Post by gillian » 22 Jan 2015, 12:59 pm

If the "instructor" knew anything about Australian Gun Laws, and the author did some research, they would know how much BS was in that article

Roo shooters can not use Semi autos
Cat D firearms are not limited to only pest controllers
gillian
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cuvy » 22 Jan 2015, 3:42 pm

gillian wrote:If the "instructor" knew anything about Australian Gun Laws, and the author did some research, they would know how much BS was in that article

Roo shooters can not use Semi autos
Cat D firearms are not limited to only pest controllers

Care to elaborate?

While I'm by no means an expert, I'm pretty sure professional pest controllers can use semi-autos, and while there might be other professions that can possess cat d, it is pretty limited and professional soldier is not one of those groups. What is all the other BS you are referring to?

(on another note, they'd never have to worry about insufficient recruits if defense force members were allowed to privately own high capacity semi-auto rifles!)
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by gillian » 22 Jan 2015, 4:32 pm

it’s impossible for Australians—including members of the military—to own the semi-automatic equivalent of the M4 unless they make their living culling roos.

This is bs
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... -wallabies

Currently, qualifying for a Category D license is limited to ‘professional shooters whose principal occupation is the controlling of vertebrate pest animals.’
This (as written)is also bs
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... rimary.htm

Furthermore, it’s necessary to compete in at least six pistol competitions per year. Tough luck if you’ve been deployed to Afghanistan for six months of the year and away on training courses for another two or three, and your club only runs one pistol competition a month.

this is also bs there are mechanisms in place for extenuating circumstances
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... sports.htm

(on another note, they'd never have to worry about insufficient recruits if defense force members were allowed to privately own high capacity semi-auto rifles!)

Your comment also shows your lack of knowledge on the recuiting standards/requirement of the ADF
The ability to shoot is not an entry requirement

if your going to make statements to justify your argument/point of view it helps if you have the facts straight
gillian
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cuvy » 22 Jan 2015, 4:59 pm

Right, not sure what you are trying to say, so come back when you start to make some sense. Until then, I'm going to ignore your ramblings.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by trekin » 22 Jan 2015, 6:12 pm

gillian wrote:it’s impossible for Australians—including members of the military—to own the semi-automatic equivalent of the M4 unless they make their living culling roos.

This is bs
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... -wallabies

Currently, qualifying for a Category D license is limited to ‘professional shooters whose principal occupation is the controlling of vertebrate pest animals.’
This (as written)is also bs
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... rimary.htm

Furthermore, it’s necessary to compete in at least six pistol competitions per year. Tough luck if you’ve been deployed to Afghanistan for six months of the year and away on training courses for another two or three, and your club only runs one pistol competition a month.

this is also bs there are mechanisms in place for extenuating circumstances
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... sports.htm

Your comment also shows your lack of knowledge on the recuiting standards/requirement of the ADF
The ability to shoot is not an entry requirement

if your going to make statements to justify your argument/point of view it helps if you have the facts straight

ADF personal do not require a licence for any Cat, A through R, of firearm, here in QLD,

Queensland
Weapons Act 1990

2 Application of Act
(1) This Act does not apply to a person—
(a) who is—
(i) a member of the armed forces of the Commonwealth as prescribed by the Defence Act 1903 (Cwlth) in respect of that person’s possession or use of a weapon as part of performance of duty as such member;
Training, I dare say would be considered as part of performance of duty, in fact, up until 2001 or 2002, a club in Brissy regularly shot side by side with members of the ADF who used their service issued weapons, on a civilian range. Members from as far as NSW and VIC would put their service weapons in a cargo box and place that in a civvy vehicle and drive to Brissy for the bi-annual National titles. It was only at Jackboot Johnies insistence's that this was stopped.
I, also have a Cat D licence, and am not a Pro hunter or primary producer or pest controller, or dealer, I'm not limited to the number of Cat D's I can own, and can shot them on any range authorized fore their use, and there are quite a lot of range's authorized for their use here in QLD.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by gillian » 22 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

cuvy wrote:Right, not sure what you are trying to say, so come back when you start to make some sense. Until then, I'm going to ignore your ramblings.

I will try to make it easy for you

Culling of macropods with a semi auto is not allowed as per the National code of conduct which must be followed when complying with your pest mitigation permits

And as Trekin pointed out a Cat D licence is not limited to pest controllers

Also the requirements to complete the required no. of pistol shoots can and will be waived if you have extenuating circumstances

The Author and "instructor" do not know what they are talking about which IMHO ngates there credibility in pushing for policy/legislative changes
Is there anything else you don't understand
gillian
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Westy » 22 Jan 2015, 6:39 pm

Well her it comes it's time for a :wtf: :huh :problem:
Attachments
group-hug.jpg
group-hug.jpg (37.96 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cuvy » 22 Jan 2015, 6:41 pm

trekin wrote:ADF personal do not require a licence for any Cat, A through R, of firearm, here in QLD,

Queensland
Weapons Act 1990

2 Application of Act
(a) who is—
(i) a member of the armed forces of the Commonwealth as prescribed by the Defence Act 1903 (Cwlth) in respect of that person’s possession or use of a weapon as part of performance of duty as such member;
Training, I dare say would be considered as part of performance of duty, in fact, up until 2001 or 2002, a club in Brissy regularly shot side by side with members of the ADF who used their service issued weapons, on a civilian range. Members from as far as NSW and VIC would put their service weapons in a cargo box and place that in a civvy vehicle and drive to Brissy for the bi-annual National titles. It was only at Jackboot Johnies insistence's that this was stopped.
I, also have a Cat D licence, and am not a Pro hunter or primary producer or pest controller, or dealer, I'm not limited to the number of Cat D's I can own, and can shot them on any range authorized fore their use, and there are quite a lot of range's authorized for their use here in QLD.

But they still can't personally own a cat d firearm, without a license. What officially constitutes training is something that could be interpreted quite differently by different groups. Shooting at a range might only be a small part of the training they want to practice.

So, out of interest, how do you have a cat D license with no restriction on the number of cat d rifles you can own?
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Jan 2015, 8:38 pm

813B3KiPUML._SL1500_.jpeg
813B3KiPUML._SL1500_.jpeg (158.8 KiB) Viewed 4406 times

Crunch crunch crunch
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by whert » 23 Jan 2015, 10:23 am

Given that military personnel are redeployed every two or three years, this makes handgun ownership challenging for them. Furthermore, it’s necessary to compete in at least six pistol competitions per year. Tough luck if you’ve been deployed to Afghanistan for six months of the year and away on training courses for another two or three, and your club only runs one pistol competition a month.

Hadn't thought of that.

Serve you country, get scheduled out of being able to keep your license.

That's s**t to say the least.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Spooner » 23 Jan 2015, 10:29 am

And no, three tours of Afghanistan doesn’t exempt you from having to sit through a class in which it’s explained that you shouldn’t point your gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot.

:problem: :thumbsdown:
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by teedo » 23 Jan 2015, 1:31 pm

Westy wrote:Well her it comes it's time for a :wtf: :huh :problem:

A scene from one of your camping trips Westy? :P :lol:
teedo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by trekin » 25 Jan 2015, 10:55 am

cuvy wrote:
trekin wrote:ADF personal do not require a licence for any Cat, A through R, of firearm, here in QLD,

Queensland
Weapons Act 1990

2 Application of Act
(a) who is—

But they still can't personally own a cat d firearm, without a license.
Firstly, no one, in QLD, is licenced to own a firearm. We are licenced to possess certain categorized firearms by the Queensland Weapons Act 1990.*
Secondly, see (i) above. Theoretically (only because it has not been tested), a member may posses and use any, service issue or self procured, categorized weapon with impunity as long as said member can prove that the possession or use is "as part of performance of duty as such member".

What officially constitutes training is something that could be interpreted quite differently by different groups. Shooting at a range might only be a small part of the training they want to practice.
True, marksmanship is pretty low in priority when on the Government coin, as I'm sure is, for example, PT and unarmed combat training, yet members are encouraged to joint gyms and do martial arts training outside of that provided in house, so why shouldn't marksmanship training. It's only the Federal Government stopping it, at least here in Qld.

So, out of interest, how do you have a cat D license with no restriction on the number of cat d rifles you can own?
Firearms safety instructor

*3 Principles and object of Act
(1) The principles underlying this Act are as follows—
(a) weapon possession and use are subordinate to the need to ensure public and individual safety;
(b) public and individual safety is improved by imposing strict controls on the possession of weapons and requiring the safe and secure storage and carriage of weapons.
(2) The object of this Act is to prevent the misuse of weapons.

4 How object is to be achieved for firearms
The object of this Act is to be achieved for firearms by—
(a) prohibiting the possession and use of all automatic and self-loading rifles and automatic and self-loading shotguns except in special circumstances; and
(b) establishing an integrated licensing and registration scheme for all firearms; and
(c) requiring each person who wishes to possess a firearm under a licence to demonstrate a genuine reason for possessing the firearm; and
(d) providing strict requirements that must be satisfied for—
(i) licences authorising possession of firearms; and
(ii) the acquisition and sale of firearms; and
(e) ensuring that firearms are stored and carried in a safe and secure way.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by headspace » 25 Jan 2015, 3:52 pm

Westy wrote:Well her it comes it's time for a :wtf: :huh :problem:

Done it again Westy, has one of those guys got wood?
:crazy:
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 27 Jan 2015, 9:10 am

headspace wrote:Done it again Westy, has one of those guys got wood?

He's a bit too fond of that picture if you ask me :lol:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by pajamatime » 30 Jan 2015, 11:00 am

Sender wrote:
headspace wrote:Done it again Westy, has one of those guys got wood?

He's a bit too fond of that picture if you ask me :lol:

lol even straight guys like man hugs lol
its called heteroflexible ;)
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by agentzero » 30 Jan 2015, 1:26 pm

Don't let your wife read that or you might need one when you're sitting there alone as she drives off :P :lol:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Queensland gun laws