Qld ammunition storage requirements question

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Qld ammunition storage requirements question

Post by cuvy » 05 Feb 2015, 5:44 pm

Looking for opinions/clarifications on the requirements to store ammunition in Queensland.

Is it ok to store ammunition in a locked wooden cabinet?

Seems to me that according to Section 85 (pg 47) of the Explosives Regulation 2003 the key requirement is that ammunition is stored in a secured container or secured area, and that it must be stored separately from the firearm. Doesn't seem to be any specific requirement to store in a metal or otherwise specified type of container, or requirements for securing to structure. Is this correct? Or is there other legislation that applies that states different requirements?

Thanks
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Qld ammunition storage requirements question

Post by trekin » 05 Feb 2015, 6:11 pm

cuvy wrote:Looking for opinions/clarifications on the requirements to store ammunition in Queensland.

Is it ok to store ammunition in a locked wooden cabinet?
Simple answer... yes

Seems to me that according to Section 85 (pg 47) of the Explosives Regulation 2003 the key requirement is that ammunition is stored in a secured container or secured area, and that it must be stored separately from the firearm. Doesn't seem to be any specific requirement to store in a metal or otherwise specified type of container, or requirements for securing to structure. Is this correct?Again yes Or is there other legislation that applies that states different requirements?Just to be different... no

Thanks

This for QLD only as that is where the OP is from. Other States check your own legislation.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by PaWNTANK » 05 Feb 2015, 9:05 pm

I store a lot of my ammo and some of my reloading gear in a wooden cabinet, with a lock on it of course. Haven't had any grief about it during an inspection.
Marlin XT-22 Varmint
Howa 1500 Varmint .308 WIN
Remington 700 TAC 21 30-06 SPRG
Boito Reuna 12G
Gamo Cadet .177
PaWNTANK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by cuvy » 06 Feb 2015, 8:08 am

Thanks for the replies.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Westy » 06 Feb 2015, 8:17 am

It can be stored in a lockable container , it matter little what it is made from but it must be stored separate from your firearms.. Seems you've nailed it right on the the head Cuvy
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 08 Feb 2015, 11:36 am

cuvy wrote:Doesn't seem to be any specific requirement to store in a metal or otherwise specified type of container, or requirements for securing to structure. Is this correct?

"Ammunition must be stored in a secure container or secured area that is separate from the container that holds the firearms; for example a gun safe with a internal secured area for the ammunition"

It comes down to the interpretation of "secure".

It's not defined for QLD ammunition storage but is in other states (setting precedent and examples of what's commonly regarded as being 'secure' when storing propellants and ammunition) as being either a wooden or steel receptacle that's not easily penetrable.

A locked solid wood container will meet this, has done during inspections for me and fellow shooting friends.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brisb » 09 Feb 2015, 1:33 pm

A hardwood container of solid construction is fine.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 10 Feb 2015, 5:11 pm

It's the mines department that looks after ammo and powder storage rules in Queensland. http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/assets ... -79-v2.pdf This bulletin has a good definition of what they deem a secure container and a secured area.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brisb » 11 Feb 2015, 8:09 am

Nice one TheDude :thumbsup:

11. The SAA must be stored in a secure container. A secure container is a spark-proof container that is kept closed at all times except when the SAA are put into or taken out of the packaging or container. Spark-proof applies to the closing of the packaging or container so that a spark from an external source can not enter the opening in the packaging or container when stored and not being handled. The spark-proof does not apply to packaging or container made from steel which is in itself capable of producing a spark under conditions of friction or impact.

12. On a shelf that is inaccessible to a person who is not authorised to possess the SAA means that the storage on a shelf inaccessible to unauthorised people is an alternative to storage in a secure container within a secured area. It should be noted that the packaging or containers may already be secure containers.

13. A secured area is a place namely a drawer, cabinet, cupboard, room or another enclosure which is kept locked at all times when the place is not attended by a person.

14. Unless the Weapons Act authorises storage together, the SAA must be kept in a separate secured area from the firearms with different locks and different keys or combinations.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws