Moving interstate.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Moving interstate.

Post by ozturtle » 23 Mar 2015, 8:30 pm

I all,
I hope somone here has been and done this before.
We're planing on moving back to SA from qld.
It may or may not be a permanate move so I want to take my rifles down there and if we decide to stay transfer my license and guns.
Is this too simple. Sound too simple. Haven't found the correct info on the SA wlb.
Cheers
ozturtle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Moving interstate.

Post by brett1868 » 23 Mar 2015, 10:23 pm

Call the S.A firearms registry and ask tell what you intend to do and what they require from you. I've dealt with them a couple of times now and found them very professional and informative, not like the A$$hole QLD registry clown I spoke to about hunting in QLD.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 25 Mar 2015, 12:12 pm

How long are you going for mate?

I couldn't find for SA but I think you're gunna find there is a 3 month limit to 'visit', if you're there for longer than 3 months you must do a license transfer.

I know this is the case for QLD, NSW and Victoria. I'd expect it is the same for SA.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 25 Mar 2015, 12:17 pm

Here turtle.

8—Exemption of persons from outside the State
(1) This regulation authorises the possession or use of a firearm for a purpose in South Australia only if the possession or use of that firearm for that purpose could be authorised by a firearms licence (disregarding a purpose with which a firearms licence may be endorsed under regulation 11(2)(h)).

(2) Subject to this regulation, a person whose usual place of residence is in another State or a Territory of the Commonwealth may possess or use a firearm for a purpose in South Australia, without holding a firearms licence, if the person is authorised to possess or use that firearm for that purpose under the law of his or her usual place of residence.

(3) Subject to this regulation, a person who moves his or her usual place of residence to South Australia may, for the period of 3 months after moving, possess or use a firearm for a purpose in South Australia, without holding a firearms licence, if the person could possess or use that firearm for that purpose under the law of his or her former place of residence.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wobble » 25 Mar 2015, 12:19 pm

Forgot to quote source... That's from from South Australia Firearms Regs dated 1.9.2014.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bourt » 25 Mar 2015, 12:19 pm

Thanks for confirming wobble, thought it was 3 months :thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 30 Mar 2015, 1:39 pm

Bourt wrote:I know this is the case for QLD, NSW and Victoria. I'd expect it is the same for SA.

For other license types too it seems.

I know it is 3 months for your drivers as well moving into Victoria.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 31 Mar 2015, 1:25 pm

Don't forget if you go for less than 3 months and don't let have to update your license you'd still have to update QLD weapons on changing the storage address.

That's 14 days, not 3 months.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Apr 2015, 12:46 pm

Hey Oz Turtle,

From my personal experience,, a PM is on its way to you.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm

When you do finally decide to stay in SA and after you have your SA firearms License make sure you let the QWLB know you have moved and got your SA Firearms License, if you don't you may well end up getting a "Revocation Letter" telling you to hand in your Qld Lic and also your firearms!

Don't ask me how I know! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 01 Apr 2015, 1:36 pm

I dont know why any shooters would want to move to WA or SA..... sure they're nice country.. but firearm law-wise :unknown:

For reference, a Victorian Firearm Licence is 'invalidated' and ceases to effectively exist as soon as your residential address ceases to be Victorian.... so as soon as you move over the border, to live, you are un-licensed.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Apr 2015, 2:28 pm

1290 wrote:I dont know why any shooters would want to move to WA or SA..... sure they're nice country.. but firearm law-wise :unknown:

For reference, a Victorian Firearm Licence is 'invalidated' and ceases to effectively exist as soon as your residential address ceases to be Victorian.... so as soon as you move over the border, to live, you are un-licensed.

Dead right,, but idiotic.

ie: When beginning to shift to Qld from Vic, (a process that took 4 separate trips) my partner lost her purse midway on the 1st trip.

Doing the right thing as required by law she notified the relevant authorities that her driver and firearms license had been lost.
They asked the circumstances, and she said that we were starting to shift furniture etc to Qld where we were eventually going to reside.
They noted all that and thanked her for notifying the loss, but said nothing about her f/a license being made null and void.

After this she applied for a replacement license. (She was still actually a resident of Victoria)

A month went by, and she received a letter from Vic f/arms saying that she was an unlicensed firearm owner and had to hand in her firearm for destruction/sale.
The letter also made mention of criminal charges.
She rang them and said that she had already applied for her replacement license.

Their reply was that they had cancelled her f/a license when she reported it as being lost, and that as it had been cancelled, they could not and would not issue her with a replacement license.

A lot more BS ensued, and it took 6 months before it was eventually resolved.
At long last she was granted a replacement license, as well as an apology for the unfair treatment that she had endured.

Their previous stance of refusing a replacement license would have forced her to start from the bottom line to gain a f/a license when she did eventually get to Qld full time,, rather than a simple transfer from Vic license to a Qld license.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Apr 2015, 2:56 pm

Sounds like a rather unpleasant and unnecessary way to handle things, why does it have to be so hard when it comes to firearms? Geez they wouldn't have carried on like that about her drivers license I bet.

Bloody disgraceful the way firearms owners are treated at times and for no other reason than that's the way they decided to deal with such a simple issue (it could have been handled in a way more professional manner than it was from the sounds of it).

I moved from Qld to NSW a few years ago and went through the process of getting my NSW FA License, no dramas at all other than the fact I was supposed to inform Qld WLB that I had moved (spoke to them prior to moving to NSW and no one ever mentioned that I have to contact them when I had moved) anyway I got a letter recently informing me my Qld License had been Revoked and requiring me to hand my license and firearms into the NSW Police or a gunshop (why the hell wouldn't someone mention during this whole process that I have to notify Qld WLB one would have thought that this would have been something that was done via the NSW WLB but apparently not) apparently this is a common problem yet no one seems to address it at any level until you unwittingly become a criminal of sorts then they let you know! :unknown:

Anyway the upshot of it all is it was easy enough to sort out but (a few phone calls to the Qld WLB and the NSW WLB but really in this day and age one would think the system would work better especially when the know this will be a issue (all simply fixed by reminding the person when applying to a diff interstate license that they are also required to inform the previous state of the change) apparently they can't do that legally!!! :unknown:

Stupid bloody rule if I've ever heard of one - so remember if you are moving interstate to get incontact with the previous state and let them know that you now have a new license in whatever state you are in or else you too could end up going through this. :thumbsup:

I must also say both the ladies in each state sorted it out professionally and without hassle but it wasn't a nice experience getting a letter demanding you to hand your firearms in I can tell you.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Apr 2015, 6:37 pm

The apology to my partner that I mentioned , (when it eventually came) was from a lady that worked in the Vic F/arms registry.
She was a Solicitor before going to the F/arms registry.
She said that it had been a ridiculous state of affairs, and one that should have been dealt with properly in the first instance.

I now believe that she was the only person working in the registry that actually cared and had common sense. :clap: :thumbsup:
Its a pity it took six months to find her.
But we were grateful for what she did.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 01 Apr 2015, 7:07 pm

I bet a few books could be written full of incompetance and beauracratic bullshittery of the registries around that nation....
I've had a couple of good ones.....the rego certificates that were wrong, wrong number, wrong model, wrong make ..... will get sorted eventually right... The lists that are incomplete......

I think its amazing when you get the list of your firearms (generally with a renewal) and there are blank for you to fill in any omissions and sign to confirm the list is correct...... WAIT, WTF after all the BS, all the $Millions in costs to set up this system YOU want ME to tell YOU how many of what I OWN???.

Yes, had the inspection with the "Oh, thats not on my list!" from the constable :huh:

The PTA for 3 moist nuggets that wouldnt be considered.... "You might be planning to go to war or something..." Yep they actually said that. :clap:

......eventually, these diabolical registries will go the way of the Dodo.. :drinks: (<not while reloading or shooting :D )
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by ozturtle » 01 Apr 2015, 7:38 pm

Cheers guys, there is a lot of good advice there and some cautionary tails too. I had some issues when I just brought my rifles up from SA without transferring them through a dealer.
I will have to make the call to WLB to ensure it is done right.
As for why would I move, a part from a country change and a fresh start, get out of the city and back on a farm.., the words "primary producer" bring a bit of a smile. (I have no where to hunt in qld).
ozturtle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Apr 2015, 9:25 pm

Good luck with it Oz, make sure you let the old state know that you no longer reside there, will save a heap of hassles that no one in the know seems to mention! :roll:

Edit: Only notify them after you have your S.A. license in your hand - not before! or else you'll be an unlicensed firearms owner and will definitely have to surrender them!!! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by ebr love » 02 Apr 2015, 7:59 am

Die Judicii wrote:Their reply was that they had cancelled her f/a license when she reported it as being lost, and that as it had been cancelled, they could not and would not issue her with a replacement license.

What a f***ing joke.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by subatom » 02 Apr 2015, 8:03 am

bigfellascott wrote:When you do finally decide to stay in SA and after you have your SA firearms License make sure you let the QWLB know you have moved and got your SA Firearms License, if you don't you may well end up getting a "Revocation Letter" telling you to hand in your Qld Lic and also your firearms!

I wonder, once you're licensed and living in SA even if you didn't tell Queensland Pol and they sent you the letter what can they actually do?

You're a law abiding citizen licensed in the state your living it.

:?: :unknown:
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hercl » 02 Apr 2015, 8:16 am

Not a QLD resident here but I'd guess (and be pretty sure) that part of the license conditions are notification of address changes etc.

You may have done everything by the book on the SA end.

The separate issue would be you didn't fulfil your obligations on the QLD end.

Who knows what would come of it. If you got a firearm license cancellation or conviction for some failure in another state that would impact your SA license though.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 02 Apr 2015, 8:32 am

bigfellascott wrote:Good luck with it Oz, make sure you let the old state know that you no longer reside there, will save a heap of hassles that no one in the know seems to mention! :roll:

Edit: Only notify them after you have your S.A. license in your hand - not before! or else you'll be an unlicensed firearms owner and will definitely have to surrender them!!! :D

Trouble with 'not telling them'.... the example of Vic covers this too, its an OFFENCE to not advise the STASI.... sorry Politz, of a change in 14 days...Residence, address, storage address..... $5,100 thank you very much!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by dustin » 02 Apr 2015, 8:49 am

He meant time everything so your SA license arrives inside 14 days of moving of course ;)

:D
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Apr 2015, 11:09 am

Hercl wrote:Not a QLD resident here but I'd guess (and be pretty sure) that part of the license conditions are notification of address changes etc.

You may have done everything by the book on the SA end.

The separate issue would be you didn't fulfil your obligations on the QLD end.

Who knows what would come of it. If you got a firearm license cancellation or conviction for some failure in another state that would impact your SA license though.

Correct - you have failed to notify hence you have failed to comply with the act and as we know it doesn't take much for the ****** to hit the fan and cause all sorts of issues when we do, just not worth the hassles and $$ to sort out if it does turn to poo, sadly I just wished they would make mention of this somewhere in the process for a new license application in the state you now reside in but from my understanding there is a legal barrier there hence their lack of info regarding this little fact (they can't be seen to interfere in another states legislation or something like that) :unknown:

Crazy but there ya go - so just remember when moving from one state to the other inform the previous state of the move once you have your new license and everything should be ok.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rakk » 02 Apr 2015, 2:30 pm

The frustrating thing is it would be in their interest to put all the relevant information in one spot so people can easily find everything they need to know instead of scattering it in half a dozen places.

Not even just for peace of mind for us LAFOs, but would save them wasting their time chasing people for honest mistakes that cause no harm but went against some piece of bureaucratic red tape.

Do 1 pdf for people to download with what you need to do for:
Keeping your license
Storing your firearms
Transporting firearms
Shooting at ranges
Hunting on private property
Hunting in forests

All in one doco, done.

It would be a couple of pages max and would save countless hours of headaches and BS.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Apr 2015, 3:47 pm

Rakk wrote:The frustrating thing is it would be in their interest to put all the relevant information in one spot so people can easily find everything they need to know instead of scattering it in half a dozen places.

Not even just for peace of mind for us LAFOs, but would save them wasting their time chasing people for honest mistakes that cause no harm but went against some piece of bureaucratic red tape.

Do 1 pdf for people to download with what you need to do for:
Keeping your license
Storing your firearms
Transporting firearms
Shooting at ranges
Hunting on private property
Hunting in forests

All in one doco, done.

It would be a couple of pages max and would save countless hours of headaches and BS.

That makes too much sense so it can't happen! :lol: All they have to do is put out a booklet of some sort when you apply for a license with all the relevant information in it.

The NSW WLB send you out a Fact Sheet for when moving Interstate but it doesn't mention anywhere that you have to contact your previous state and cancel your license etc, so easy to put a little reminder notice on it but for legal reasons they cant. :unknown: bloody crazy!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Aster » 04 Apr 2015, 5:00 pm

bigfellascott wrote:so easy to put a little reminder notice on it but for legal reasons they cant. :unknown: bloody crazy!

Oh? That's the first I've heard of that.

Why no reminder?
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Apr 2015, 9:43 pm

Aster wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:so easy to put a little reminder notice on it but for legal reasons they cant. :unknown: bloody crazy!

Oh? That's the first I've heard of that.

Why no reminder?

From my understanding its a legal issue (ie one state interfering in another states legislation) or something along those lines such an easy fix but as usual made complicated by some stupid rule. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Prettybird » 05 Apr 2015, 11:45 am

bigfellascott wrote:From my understanding its a legal issue (ie one state interfering in another states legislation) or something along those lines such an easy fix but as usual made complicated by some stupid rule. :unknown:

What a f***ing team we have here in Australia.

Sending a letter isn't 'cooperation', no, it's 'interfering'.

We suck. :cry:
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Queensland gun laws