Australia Set to Expand Warrantless Searches for Guns

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Re: Australia Set to Expand Warrantless Searches for Guns

Post by brett1868 » 07 Dec 2015, 1:57 pm

Wes wrote:
brett1868 wrote:If you do nothing wrong then you shouldn't have anything to fear.

Not trying to be a pessimist here but the problem (IMO) is the definition of "wrong" gets broader and broader.

Accidentally step over the wrong line on a map in a forest without even intending to take a shot and you would (in theory) have your guns seized, license cancelled, and go into the statistics for firearm "crime".

:thumbsdown:

Fair enough, many of the laws are a bit vague or subject to interpretation and it's possible to be on the wrong side of the law without intention. A good lawyer would get you off any charges but the hassle and expense is unfortunately on us.

This whole search thing I understand is aimed at those that already have a prohibition order against them and shouldn't have firearms anyway. This shouldn't have any impact on us lafo's whatsoever and I'm failing to see what all the noise is about.
Last edited by brett1868 on 07 Dec 2015, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 07 Dec 2015, 7:49 pm

I've said it before and at risk of repeating myself I'll do so again. The Police have a rotten job to do and we should simply be nice and realise that one day we may need them for some of their more important work. In the meantime your objections should be made clear to the people who make the decisions; your local members and State Premier. This should be done by the organisation of a letter writing campaign, which should be polite, factual and to the point. Politicians of all kinds respond to what will affect their stay in office. Once they realise that there are a lot of votes out there that could go begging they may begin to see that LFO's are not a bunch of knuckle draggers. However, if all we do is sit here and slag off at the Police, then we are simply playing into the well manicured hands of the anti's.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Dec 2015, 9:59 am

Ensuring prohibited persons aren't keeping firearms is a good thing.

Some cops are morons, some plain arse holes, some are power tripping megalomaniacs, but most are decent folk doing a job that needs to be done. The rank and file police have less influence over firearms regs than we do over governmental policy.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by headspace » 08 Dec 2015, 6:03 pm

I rang my local Police to let them know I'd be a way for a while just in case they wanted to do an inspection. There was a very nice Senior Constable there who checked and said that I'm not listed for an inspection but thanks for letting us know. He said enjoy your trip and we'll catch up in the New Year. I call that peaceful co-operation not brown nosing to the Police. Fact is they have a job to do foisted on them by the Politicians.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 09 Dec 2015, 9:15 am

brett1868 wrote:Fair enough, many of the laws are a bit vague or subject to interpretation and it's possible to be on the wrong side of the law without intention. A good lawyer would get you off any charges but the hassle and expense is unfortunately on us.

Both fair points, we still end up copping it either way.

An innocent, harmless mistake e.g. standing on the wrong line of some map makes you a criminal by default.

Yes, a good lawyer can probably show you're an honest citizen who meant no harm. But a hundreds of dollars an hour expense incurred how much of a victory can you call that really :|
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Previous

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws