Noob Gun Owner with Noob Question on Gun Safes

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Noob Gun Owner with Noob Question on Gun Safes

Post by Angel » 07 May 2016, 9:38 am

Hi Guys,

A Quick question and im sorry if it is a silly one. I am a noob gun owner and just wanted to confirm if a Gun Safe must be vertical or can it be bolted to the ground in the Horizontal position. The location i want to put it would be much more space efficient if it was laying on the floor. If so does this affect/damage the guns and is this considered legal? I haven't acquired and rifles yet as i am waiting on QLD Pol to finish my licence application but just wanted to know.

Many Thanks
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Noob Gun Owner with Noob Question on Gun Safes

Post by David Brown » 07 May 2016, 9:44 pm

There is nothing in the legislation that says anything about safe orientation.

There is nothing I can think of in storing a rifle in any particular orientation either.

It might be unusual, but that would be all. The downside could be a rifle with a scope may not sit in place when it is placed in the normal safe design that way, but if you do not have many in a big enough space, it will find its resting place. Or you could cut your own racking in ply to do it.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 07 May 2016, 10:12 pm

As David said, nothing wrong about laying it flat. You can always leave the rifle in its bag when in the safe to protect it from falling over or use a gun sock. Wouldn't be too difficult to knock up a rack from timber to sit the rifles in so they're supported. Finally, be prepared to upgrade the safe to something bigger cause this sport can be addictive :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Angel » 08 May 2016, 7:31 am

Thanks guys, greatly appreciated. :D
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 08 May 2016, 8:18 am

Only thing will be the door is pretty heavy to open when they are lying flat, had my safe lying flat in my pajero when I was moving house, it wasn't the easiest getting guns in and out. You could try fit gas struts to it to aid in opening it.

Edit: mine was a 10gun buffalo river, a three or five gun safe woulnt be so bad.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 May 2016, 8:28 am

When it comes to guns, there is no such thing as a silly question, indeed if you're unsure you should 'ask'....not guess, there is too much at stake, whether from a safety (injury) perspective or legal (court/loss of lic)

You can mount the safe anyway you desire, in fact I have one horizontal, as its in a low head-room area... just make sure you've sorted the door opening whether it swings past the vertical to stay open, or you use another method to hold open
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by AnotherMisfire » 08 May 2016, 6:03 pm

Everyone is correct. There are no requirements regarding direction of mounting in Australia.

You may want to think about how you position your guns once you've oiled them though.
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 09 May 2016, 5:31 am

In America I'm not required to have a gun safe. My first gun safe, and I still have and use it, is a chest style where the guns lay flat. The other is cabinet style with upright guns. I get more in the chest style.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Seconds » 10 May 2016, 3:15 pm

scotty87 wrote:Only thing will be the door is pretty heavy to open when they are lying flat

That's a safety feature against skinny criminals :D
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 11 May 2016, 6:57 pm

If you have rifles with wooden stocks then i would highly recommend not going this route. The oil on the barrels WILL run down and onto the wood. Over time this will affect the stock and will cost you money to get the problem sorted out.
Rifles should be stored with barrels down, because when the temps rise, the oils run, and then stocks get damaged.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AnotherMisfire » 12 May 2016, 1:50 pm

WayneO

Any suggestions on how best to store 'barrel down' without having the muzzle crown touching the floor?

AM
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by WayneO » 12 May 2016, 5:23 pm

On the floor of all my rifle safes, I have carpet with rubber underside. Works like a dream to protect the end of the barrel.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Angel » 12 May 2016, 8:12 pm

Thank u guys... greatly appreciated.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 15 May 2016, 11:38 am

Laying it down might be the only way to fit the advertised number of guns it's supposed to hold.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 01 Aug 2016, 1:12 pm

AnotherMisfire wrote:Everyone is correct.

We might have just made internet history with that! :mrgreen:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by AnotherMisfire » 02 Aug 2016, 10:43 pm

BBJ wrote:
AnotherMisfire wrote:Everyone is correct.

We might have just made internet history with that! :mrgreen:

Double-whammy! No one disagreed!
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by snag » 02 Aug 2016, 11:06 pm

A lot of gun shops store their guns horizontally, but it's a good idea if you can have the muzzle lower than action so that any excess oil doesn't go back into the working parts. As far as Weapons Licensing are concerned, they don't give a bugger as long as the safe fits their requirements.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws