What type of container should I have for ammunition?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

What type of container should I have for ammunition?

Post by junior » 17 Oct 2016, 11:53 am

I need ideas on what container/storage I should have for my ammunition.

any suggestions on what type and how the they should be kept/stored I only have category A B license.

Thanks in advance
junior
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: What type of container should I have for ammunition?

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2016, 8:12 pm

junior wrote:I need ideas on what container/storage I should have for my ammunition.

any suggestions on what type and how the they should be kept/stored I only have category A B license.

Thanks in advance

I got two small wall-mounted lockable steel tool cabinets from Bunnings.
One is alongside the rifle safe for ammunition.
The other is above my reloading bench for primers, powders and primed brass.
I think they were only about $50 each.

I originally tried to get a steel school locker but couldn't find one anywhere.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Deacon » 17 Oct 2016, 8:18 pm

I got a big ass steel tool box at the masters closing down sale for home storage and a smaller steel toolbox for going out hunting or to the range
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by junjun » 19 Oct 2016, 12:53 am

A 30 litre steel safe with digital keypad for $115 from Bunnings.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 19 Oct 2016, 9:01 am

Shipping Container, Minimum 20 footer. (And full in an ideal world)
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by p3seven » 19 Oct 2016, 10:27 am

20 round factory centrefire ammo and 50 and 100 round 22lr containers fit well in a ex army (belted 7.62 mm) box. You can padlock it by putting the lock tab at 1/2 cock with the wire holder and the lock. 50 cal boxes if you need more room . They have a waterproof seal on the lid. Army disposal stores is where you find them. Mine was $15.

Mr Plod thought it was OK When we were stopped by a RBT check. They also slip (hide) well under the seat of the Patrol.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 19 Oct 2016, 10:28 am

Tripod wrote:Shipping Container, Minimum 20 footer. (And full in an ideal world)

I have been trying to stop myself since the first post from just posting:

"A BIG one". :lol: :clap: :drinks:

Good call! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 11:00 am

I use the MTM 50Cal cases, the last 4 I bought were $44 but came with a smaller 30cal case as a bonus. Cases are numbered and locked with 2 x 40mm padlocks before being stored in the big ammo safes. As I hold a commercial ammunition buy / sell permit I went above and beyond but just the cases on their own fitted with a padlock are perfectly fine. Check the requirements in your state as they may vary from what I need to comply with in NSW and don't forget to review the storage requirements when transporting ammunition.

I bought a set of 4.7mm Letter / Number punches that I use to mark the keys and locks with.
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Letter-Number-Punch

Bunning's sells a pack of 4 keyed alike 40mm padlocks
https://www.bunnings.com.au/master-lock-40mm-brass-padlock-4-pack_p4222666
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by threeoh » 19 Oct 2016, 12:01 pm

Have you bought your gun safe yet?

There is always the option to get one with the built in ammo compartments.
threeoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Oct 2016, 12:25 pm

threeoh wrote:Have you bought your gun safe yet?

There is always the option to get one with the built in ammo compartments.

While Victoria Police generally _allow_ you to store ammo in a separate container in the gun safe, it is not strictly legal.
I would recommend a separate container entirely for ammunition, powder and primers.
90% of the time it won't matter, but if you ever are unlucky enough to have your safe stolen I'm sure it would be better if you can assure Police that ammunition was not stored in it with your firearms.
Besides, I find it far more convenient not having to open the safe every time I need powder or primers.
Of course, a safe that has an external ammunition container would be fine.
Attachments
Victoria Storage Requirements.JPG
Victoria Storage Requirements.JPG (103.4 KiB) Viewed 6652 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2016, 2:31 pm

Lockable filing cabinets go alright for storage of ammo (great for slabs of 12g I find), I've got a 3 draw one among a few other storage setups for storing all my ammo and reloading gear.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lokvo » 19 Oct 2016, 2:39 pm

I'm illogically wanting to store ammo in a traditional scruffy looking metal ammo box. Are these good to have? advantages etc? or no.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 19 Oct 2016, 2:54 pm

I've got a 10-12 gun safe that I use for my ammo.

Put a couple shelves across it. One shelf for powder, these rest for ammo.

It has a lockable ammo compartment up top where I keep my primers
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 19 Oct 2016, 6:11 pm

Look up MTM ammo box, they make a few larger ones that are o-ring sealed and have padlock tabs. Not overly expensive and hold quite a bit of ammo. Most LGS's sell them for 30-50 bucks
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 27 Oct 2016, 9:34 am

bladeracer wrote:Any cartridge ammunition for the firearm must be stored in a locked container separate from the receptacle in which the firearm must be stored.

Hmm.

I have a Cat H compartment built into my safe which I use for my ammo. Obviously this is much more secure than something like a locked toolbox.

Regardless, I would interpret the above as, and argue that, my ammo is in a locked container and that the container is in the same receptacle as the firearm.

The ammo and firearm do not share the same receptacle. They are each in a separate container as required so are legal.

My interpretation aside, I'm sure all the safe manufacturers have confirmed that it is legal before they manufactured their products.

Saying all that though, the legislation could definitely be worded better/clearer.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by doc » 27 Oct 2016, 10:46 am

Lorgar wrote:I have a Cat H compartment built into my safe which I use for my ammo. Obviously this is much more secure than something like a locked toolbox.

I have a compartment built into my safe as well - but I have taken the ammo out of it now and moved it to a less secure option being a toolbox sitting on the floor (in a different room).

My reasons for doing so are two fold:

Due to what bladeracer has mentioned. Police have used their discretion to 'allow' this even though the regs say otherwise, but it just takes one decision to reverse this and a whole bunch of legal owners have just become criminals.

The other reason is that with no ammo in the same room, there's no chance of me dropping ammo and missing one .22 bullet when picking them up that the police might find lodged between the safe and the wall or something stupid like that when doing an inspection. (Dont' say it doesn't happen - I've found a .22 later accidentally I didn't realised I dropped previously. If that had have timed with an inspection, I'd have lost my guns and being charged!)

This way, I protect myself - because if I make the same mistake in the future, it's not in the same room as the safe, the cops have no need to inspect it, so less chance of being charged for a simple mistake.

Toolbox may be less secure in case of a breakin - but in a different room - more secure from being charged by the police, either by a chance of mind by the commissioner, or by a silly overlook by myself.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by happyhunter » 27 Oct 2016, 11:04 am

I'm a fan of purpose built gun safes with separate lockable ammo storage, although might be a bit small a space for people who keep a lot of ammo. I've been looking at getting another small safe for valuables and doing some research on what makes a quality unit and the aussie made Lokaway brand seems to be coming up trumps. Their pistol safe is independently rated at $10,000 (insurance rating for keeping cash) and nothing in the same price range came close.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Lokvo » 27 Oct 2016, 11:14 am

So If I do store my ammo in the dedicated ammo storage compartment that safes have and it has its own set of keys that are different from the gun safe, is that good enough/legal for ammo storage?
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 27 Oct 2016, 11:18 am

Lokvo wrote:So If I do store my ammo in the dedicated ammo storage compartment that safes have and it has its own set of keys that are different from the gun safe, is that good enough/legal for ammo storage?

Yep.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wade06 » 27 Oct 2016, 12:03 pm

I only have a small lokaway gun safe and the in-built ammo storage box won't be enough if i ever get a 12 gauge.
A friend uses a fridge with padlocks for ammo storage. Is this legal in NSW or does it need to be bolted down?
I was thinking about a lockable metal tool box which i could screw to a timber stud wall.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 27 Oct 2016, 12:21 pm

Lokvo wrote:So If I do store my ammo in the dedicated ammo storage compartment that safes have and it has its own set of keys that are different from the gun safe, is that good enough/legal for ammo storage?

Yes and no.
I would expect VicPol to accept it as "good enough", but in court the law would say it's not strictly legal.
I did find a document from VicPol that says that a secondary internal receptacle "that is purpose built for storing ammunition" is legal.
But as ammunition storage is pretty relaxed, I don't know how you'd determine that anything is "purpose built" for the task.
A plastic box with a padlock complies with the ammunition storage requirements so the lockable bolt storage compartment of a gun safe would seem to comply with that. But again, that was a VicPol document, not a Law.

Personally, I don't see any advantage to storing my ammo in the safe. An ammo box that is not attached to the building is far more useful, and an ammo cupboard mounted to the wall above my reloading bench is much handier than the gun safe.

I haven't seen any requirement to allow Police to inspect your ammunition storage, but I would expect them to inspect any compartment inside your gun safe to ensure there's no ammunition stored with your firearms. Anybody that's had an inspection recently able to elaborate?

I have a guy coming out this arvo to give me a quote for an alarm system to protect my safes.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 27 Oct 2016, 12:22 pm

Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 27 Oct 2016, 12:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Yes and no.
I would expect VicPol to accept it as "good enough", but in court the law would say it's not strictly legal.
I did find a document from VicPol that says that a secondary internal receptacle "that is purpose built for storing ammunition" is legal.
But as ammunition storage is pretty relaxed, I don't know how you'd determine that anything is "purpose built" for the task.
A plastic box with a padlock complies with the ammunition storage requirements so the lockable bolt storage compartment of a gun safe would seem to comply with that. But again, that was a VicPol document, not a Law.

Yes and No? hahahha.. read schedule 4 and the information on the PTA form.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 27 Oct 2016, 12:51 pm

happyhunter wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes and no.

Yes and No? hahahha.. read schedule 4 and the information on the PTA form.

Possibly :-)
I noticed afterwards that the question was asked from Qld.
Are you in Qld?
I don't think I can read the online Qld PTA without putting in a ton of information?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 27 Oct 2016, 1:28 pm

QLD has a nice brochure with the requirements.
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... ochure.pdf
Attachments
QLD_storage.jpg
QLD_storage.jpg (64.44 KiB) Viewed 6313 times
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Deacon » 28 Oct 2016, 8:47 am

Sure is. Just remember that it has to be locked even if the safe is shut and the keys can't be left in the safe. Sounds a bit obvious but I just keep cleaning gear and paperwork in the seperate part so I rarely lock it. If you're using it for ammo, component or bolt storage that's not an option.
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Lokvo » 28 Oct 2016, 10:47 am

happyhunter wrote:QLD has a nice brochure with the requirements.

I can't believe I've never seen this brochure before! but that one line passage alone has answered my question, much appreciated mate! I especially like how it has the QLD police logo on the brochure so I can whip the brochure out and cite it if the cops say I'm not following the rules for any reason. :thumbsup:
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 28 Oct 2016, 6:41 pm

Lokvo wrote:
happyhunter wrote:QLD has a nice brochure with the requirements.

I can't believe I've never seen this brochure before! but that one line passage alone has answered my question, much appreciated mate! I especially like how it has the QLD police logo on the brochure so I can whip the brochure out and cite it if the cops say I'm not following the rules for any reason. :thumbsup:

No worries. Happy to help.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by JoeG » 07 May 2020, 7:35 pm

I have recently broken my leg and cant get up the stairs to my bedroom.I have a bed downstairs. I was also recently served with a interim VRO, so they took my firearms and ammo. I forgot about some ammo in another safe, so doing the right thing, I handed it in a week later. All good. Yesterday I had 6 cars raid my house supposedly looking for more guns and ammo but all they found was 7 loose 410 shells in my office draw, in my bedroom upstars. Now I new they were there, but had no way of getting up there at the time I surrendered the rest of my ammo. Is this grounds for a not guilty charge or wont they care? Im in WA.
THANKS Joe.
JoeG
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 07 May 2020, 7:49 pm

Sorry to hear Joe - been there myself and cost me a fortune to clear my name.
You have said, you knew the ammo was there - so you should have reported that when you handed other ammo in.
I’ve also had a broken leg and I rode motorbikes, climbed ladders and could certainly climb stairs. I’m sorry mate - but in my op, your prob going to have to ride the wave - but, I’d make a phone call regardless and see if they will be reasonable. If not - lodge a complaint with WA ombudsman (Tell the gops you intend to do this as well - might be enough for them to not bother), upload pics of stairs. Broken leg, any other evidence to online ombudsman’s complaint form to support your story. Good luck.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws