What type of container should I have for ammunition?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: What type of container should I have for ammunition?

Post by AussieCapitalist » 07 May 2020, 7:52 pm

What does your lawyer say Joe and what are you being charged with? Everything else aside you just admitted you new they were there and did not report it. Why did you not report it when you handed in your ammo if you new they were there? You could of told the police they were there when you handed in your other ammo and they could of came and picked them up. I am just thinking of what a lawyer would say to you mate.

Did they have a warrant to search your home? Was the search legal?

You don't need a forum mate, you need a LAWYER.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 07 May 2020, 8:11 pm

My advice is to get a really good container for it

Cheerz
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 07 May 2020, 8:16 pm

Joe, do not pussy out of clearing your name, been there done that, if you take it on the chin the court and police and everyone else will assume you were guilty all along. Pm me if ya wanna hear more useful tips/decent lawyers etc, I'm in WA also. Cheers
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by JoeG » 07 May 2020, 10:39 pm

I didnt tell the cops I knew it was there. When asked, I said I forgot. I assume now that "forgot" sounds even more irresponsible, that is to say, I knew they where up there because I was shooting at foxes out my bedroom window then just left them there, then broke my leg. Then my mind was on other things, all in the space of one afternoon. The charge is "firearms offences" as yet. I am thinking of pleading guilty, and hoping the magistrate will drop the charge due to the circumstances. It was a compound fracture and dislocated ankle. The Dr said the worst break he has ever seen. Bone poking at right angles out the side. My stairs are almost ladder steep up to a mezzanine loft. Believe me, even when the police searched, they were aware I couldnt follow them upstairs. The bone still has not met in the middle to start healing. I have already spent $ks on lawyer to fight VRO.
JoeG
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 07 May 2020, 10:48 pm

JoeG wrote:I didnt tell the cops I knew it was there. When asked, I said I forgot. I assume now that "forgot" sounds even more irresponsible, that is to say, I knew they where up there because I was shooting at foxes out my bedroom window then just left them there, then broke my leg. Then my mind was on other things, all in the space of one afternoon. The charge is "firearms offences" as yet. I am thinking of pleading guilty, and hoping the magistrate will drop the charge due to the circumstances. It was a compound fracture and dislocated ankle. The Dr said the worst break he has ever seen. Bone poking at right angles out the side. My stairs are almost ladder steep up to a mezzanine loft. Believe me, even when the police searched, they were aware I couldnt follow them upstairs. The bone still has not met in the middle to start healing. I have already spent $ks on lawyer to fight VRO.

If you plead guilty, you will be convicted and a conviction permanently recorded as well as whatever penalty they attach.

Do not plead guilty or anything until you have a good barrister, your biggest mistake was talking to police at all. You have made the lawyers job harder. Speak to the guy I mentioned in the pm I sent you, do not plead guilty and do not proceed with any court without a good barrister, you can ask for leave from the court to have time to arrange a barrister. So do it. Do not plead guilty at all!
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by womble » 08 May 2020, 4:31 am

And against the grain again i go..

My ammo is stored in a seperate safe, seperate location. An expensive safe bolted down. Just for ammo.
This is not because i want to appease the regulations. I would do this even if there were none.
I do this because i do not like thieves taking what’s mine.
Nothing stops a determined thief. But i only need to slow them down.

Stolen firearms being used to commit crimes, seems to be getting a lot of use in police and media rhetoric these days.
Undoubtably it’s exaggerated to deflect reality.
To point the finger of blame at licenced owners in an indirect way.
It is a twisted sense of logic but they do employ it, in Victoria at least.
In some areas here you can receive a fine for leaving your vehicle unlocked. Because apparently that caused a thief to have access to it.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JoeG » 08 May 2020, 10:25 am

Mate, there has to be a grey area here somewhere. I have a son and quite often we set up targets and shoot our sub sonic 22 from the back verandah together. Once a mate came around and I gave him a couple of shots of the 410. Subseqently the police came around to check and were happy I had a back stop and I was licenced and left. The thing is, over the course of the day (the shooting period) the ammo was all over the table on the back verandah. Now acording to law, this was "unsecured ammo". So why wasnt I charged then? (That was a rehtoricle question) I could understand if they found ammo lying all over the place, that would be irresponsible, but to have a couple of shells you are currentley/have recently been using? What about in your car going to a hunt? What about in your pocket leaving the ammo shop? Surley a couple of shells in your draw, (on the way to the safe) is a grey area?
JoeG
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2020, 1:09 pm

Talk to one of the firearm lawyers, search Karrie Louden on Facebook, she and Ross Williamson are in Wa.

I think the fact that you surrendered the other ammo when were able to can be seen as evidence of good intent.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 08 May 2020, 4:20 pm

Was the search lawful, did they have a warrant?

Firearm laws are rather clear in regards to storage requirements so I doubt there is a grey area mate. You really have to talk to a good lawyer mate. Yes it will cost a lot but do not plead guilty. You wont be able to get a passport among many other things for firearm offences.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JoeG » 09 May 2020, 7:05 am

I dont think paying a couple of thousand to a lawyer is going to put it to the magistrate any different than I can. Its a pretty straght forward charge with a straight forward answer. I handed in 2500 rounds the week before, badly broke my leg and couldnt get up the loft (have taken pics) and was using the ammo the night before. Its not as if it was just laying around, so anyone had access to it? Ill let you know how I go.
JoeG
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 09 May 2020, 9:33 am

Just a query Joe - are you known to police at all? It sounds like they have visited you a couple times - has someone reported you in for shooting or is there a police station behind your back stop lol? 6 cars Attending sounds excessive for a one legged man...

Reason I ask - if someone has it in for you, if they’ve been in the ear of the police, if they have additional info/charges up their sleeve - a lawyer can find out by application for the charge brief. (You can as well but it will be difficult).
You might say - screw em or surely not, but police prosecution is a weird entity. Your a number to them, they want results and will do what ever to get fast results and move on.

You might find your charged on individual counts for each ammunition piece to bolster the sound of the case...”Mr Joe - your charged with 17 counts of firearms related offences but the prosecution is willing to drop 15 of those counts, if you plead guilty to count 1 and 17.”...etc etc.
I took prosecuting officer on once For a minor infraction (I’m not a lawyer but have had a passing interest lol) - they called 20 witnesses and demanded pre trial that I would have to pay for them all - trying to scare me out of the case...luckily the magistrate said that was excessive and told the prosecution off - but they don’t care, it happens all the time...it’s just another case to them.

Depending on circumstances - legal aid as a first call may be option, it’s free and some decent lawyers in there doing their civic duty. Also remember - if your successful with a lawyer, they are likely to apply to the court for their fee on your behalf.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 09 May 2020, 10:20 am

Yeah look I know it seems needlessly expensive, but s**t happens, don't proceed without a lawyer, not a s**ty solicitor either, always get a barrister at a minimum
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 09 May 2020, 10:46 am

A guilty plea is an admission of guilt the only reason to do it is if your hoping for leniency.
If that's what your trying to achieve get a plea deal drawn up in exchange for your guilty plea i.e. non conviction and allowed to retain firearm license.
Don't just listen to the prosecutor or police who tell you the judge will go easier if you plead guilty. Follow these rules
1.Dont say a word (police are not your friends in this, their sole goal is to get a conviction)
2. Get legal representation (do not wave this right)
3. Only communicate in your attorney's presence and only
through him (he knows how to word things so you don't admit to more than you think you are) e.g. instead of saying "i knew they were in the draw but forgot to mention them at the station"
he might say "my client struggled down to the station on a broken leg to hand in all the ammunition he could safely gather from the house in order to fully comply after police left some behind during the initial firearm removal stage of enforcement"
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 09 May 2020, 11:44 am

Exactly, police only ever speak to you when they don't have enough evidence to throw the cuffs on, they're never trying to help you, only convict you, they're on a fishing expedition and you have to give them 0 bites
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by JoeG » 10 May 2020, 8:02 am

Brother inlaw, VRO, saying I had ilegal firearms, looking for false walls, found nothing. The police were actually pissed off that this peanut had made the whole story up. I have never had illegal firearms. As far as the grey area is concerened. This is it. If I am on my back verandah shooting my guns with my wife and son and have ammo all over the table and shells all over the floor, which happenes nearly every weekend, and I stop to get a drink, take a s**t, check my targets up close, get a allan key out of my shed or even walk around the front of my house to answer the police at my front door, or BREAKING A LEG AND BEING RUSHED TO HOSPITAL, THEN SIMPLY FORGETING ABOUT THE SHELLS IN MY TOP DRAW... Even though I have handed in 2500 rounds when I was able, BECAUSE I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING. Surely, surely the magistrate must look at the cops and shake her head. Its not as if I had ammo stashed everywhere or just lying around in random spots like a redneck. Thanks for all you replies. I will talk to legal aid, (as I said earlier, I have just cleaned out my last 4k to pay for the VRO) This is a good forum. Its good to be able to talk to someone and share your fire arm problems.
JoeG
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 10 May 2020, 9:21 am

The vro being false goes in your favor but don't plead guilty the only way you'll get to tell your side is if you plead NOT guilty
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JoeG » 10 May 2020, 9:24 am

Oh, and I am a clean skin. This is my first offence.
JoeG
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by JoeG » 10 May 2020, 9:25 am

Thanks Farmerpete
JoeG
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Queensland gun laws