Local gun shop closures with COVID shutdown

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Victorian gun shops close for COVID-

Post by Permie » 01 Apr 2020, 7:31 pm

Ziad wrote:Tbh while its a s**t show, the faq looks to bev quite reasonable. Esp around people who have already paid a deposit and paid for a pta.. they can still probably get the firearm.

While I am sure others won’t be, I am in agreement with you. Despite the ****** and the terrible messaging and delivery to me it seems fair enough for these extraordinary times.
Now I may be biased though as I just picked up my .308 this afternoon and while my .22 still awaits the pta, given that it was paid for in full over 2 weeks ago I am hopeful it too will be released.
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: QLD Gun Stores ordered to close indefinitely due to COVI

Post by Blr243 » 02 Apr 2020, 10:11 am

Call me slow , but what’s with the pics in red circles? I don’t get it
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Apr 2020, 12:13 pm

Maybe hes paid for a couple of rifles or one.. and now upset that he cannot pickup his rifles so gonna go and throw a couple of pork chops at anna...

No idea about the porkeater
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by cracker » 02 Apr 2020, 12:57 pm

i know ammo and rifles are out
is there anywhere selling powder ?
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 02 Apr 2020, 1:21 pm

Blr243 wrote:Call me slow , but what’s with the pics in red circles? I don’t get it

He posted the pics after he was questioned on whether or not he had a pta.

Judging by what he's buying I figure he's one of these prepper types that had put off getting a gun license because he has awesome survival skills and thought he could do without until covid came round now he expects weapons licensing to just happen for him in 24 hrs no 28 day wait period etc.
I've met a few preppers all with different theories on how the world is going to end. The one thing they all have trouble getting their heads around is that this isn't America and their YouTube training on how to deal with authorities doesn't fly in oz.
Just because you claim to be a "FREE MAN OF THE LAND" that only adhears to common law, doesn't mean you don't have to obey Australian laws.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Apr 2020, 2:05 pm

Ok. Ta for that. On Netflix I noticed doomsday peppers but ignored it for a while ..... but lately with all this drama my curiosity has been aroused so I had a brief look at the show and observed the following. It appears to be OBSESSIONAL behaviour, some people are spending several hundred thousand s of dollars and others probably much more. The bunkers are not not just ten grand backyard jobs. Big blocks of land have been purchased specifically for the correct location they want. It’s as if they not just prepare for disaster, It’s almost as if they want it to happen so they can grab their rice ,water bottles ar15 and 100 ooo rounds and scamper underground. ....And finally I noticed they are not complete nutjobs, this obsession is only one part of their life ....I saw evidence of some being incredibly successful in business (essential to fund their obsession ) and I noticed general law abiding maintainstability family and values....... but at the end of the day ....it’s not my scene
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 02 Apr 2020, 2:37 pm

PorkEatingCrusader wrote:Come on farmerpete, where is your sense of ruggered individualism? We either die on our feet or we surrender on our knees. That old spirit the British had to sail the ocean by starlight and create the world we live in from the heathens. That ruggered spirit of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. Look inside you mate, I know its there. Do not be a spirituality defeated human. This is all we have in life.

Oh and shooting on priviate land is a valid reason to own a firearm. And collection. Not that one should have to have a valid reason to spend their own money. But that is a question for another day.

Ha ha ha...... sensational

PEC your comments are amusing the hell out of me. Keep up the good work mate.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Apr 2020, 3:37 pm

Yes i am, bring your own bottle and ill decanter. 500g is $300.

Joking. I doubt it make unfortunately it still requires a license to buy.... But been thinking projectiles might be one thing you can still possibly get
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Apr 2020, 3:43 pm

Interesting.

Some say burnish pillaged all the lands they invaded. Stealing natural resources. Eg
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180964660/

But more importantly Clint Eastwood and John Wayne were both American movie actors.... with the emphasis on MOVIE ACTORS.... its not real
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 02 Apr 2020, 6:01 pm

To me the directive seems not to pertain to powder and projectiles.

It certainly isn't an item covered in the FAQ and I believe that it is provisions within the Act that have been used to close down sales of firearms and ammunition, the Act does not make provisions for components.

However, I guess it all comes down to the individual dealers and their interpretations of what they have been given, that we are not aware of.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 02 Apr 2020, 7:02 pm

Jon79 wrote:Spike in sales wouldn’t have anything to do with advertised 15-20% price increase next month due to weak Aussie dollar?

Or maybe a lot of people suddenly have a lot more free time with everything shutting down?

Or possibly the extra $750 coming to some thought they’d put it towards a rifle or ammo?

Or maybe they were scared with the lock downs the gun shops might close with other types of stores so we’re getting in while they could?

I think you’re on the money, it’s a combination of all those things.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cracker » 02 Apr 2020, 9:16 pm

Sarco wrote:To me the directive seems not to pertain to powder and projectiles.

It certainly isn't an item covered in the FAQ and I believe that it is provisions within the Act that have been used to close down sales of firearms and ammunition, the Act does not make provisions for components.

However, I guess it all comes down to the individual dealers and their interpretations of what they have been given, that we are not aware of.

yeah, was hoping to find some powder might give me something constructive to do while i have no work.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 03 Apr 2020, 2:17 am

Unless you are a primary producer do you currently have a legitimate reason do own a firearm ?
Because you can’t go hunting or target shooting.
So now you’re not allowed to buy one.
Perhaps soon you won’t be allowed to own one.
After stage 4 comes martial law.

...unfortunately this is how I’m reading it. Someone please prove me wrong.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Apr 2020, 6:41 am

Paranoid much tinfoil man.

In all seriousness why do we get all these users with 30 or 40 posts come here and say the same paranoid stuff.

Quick go and dig a hole and bury your guns in the farm...ohh wait you live in a 400sq house with no backyard and hunt once a decade?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by cracker » 03 Apr 2020, 10:45 am

womble wrote:Unless you are a primary producer do you currently have a legitimate reason do own a firearm ?
Because you can’t go hunting or target shooting.
So now you’re not allowed to buy one.
Perhaps soon you won’t be allowed to own one.
After stage 4 comes martial law.

...unfortunately this is how I’m reading it. Someone please prove me wrong.

why cant you go hunting? its just buying meat with more steps, as well as exercising

yes i have like 3 or so reasons too own firearms, none which have anything to do with the current situation.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 03 Apr 2020, 2:25 pm

Permie wrote:Victorian FAQ’s have been released, with a lot of clarification

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/sites/def ... itions.pdf

As posted by Permie, technically it says no “recreational” hunting dose’nt say why.
My land backs onto state forest. Hunting is my exercise.
All very confusing but safe bet the fines are real.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cracker » 03 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm

yeah i was told hunting is off the cards by the local firearms shop.

its still legal for them to sell powder and projectiles though.

so im loading up 100 x .308 winchester and 50 x .375 holland and holland this weekend.

most of my shooting is done at the range in anycase... so just have to hold out
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 03 Apr 2020, 3:16 pm

Yup
I have just called SSAA
Fishing and Hunting have now been banned altogether
(According to what they told me)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Apr 2020, 4:06 pm

All transfers are out now, the last FAQ I printed off said if you have a valid permit, and the guns and permits were already paid then the LFD could process person to person transfers so I arranged to do mine tomorrow. Today the Feds pressured Andrews to stop that. Bastards. October according to one source I won't name.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Permie » 03 Apr 2020, 5:56 pm

It’s all very confusing.
I put a PTA, which was my first one, in for my .308 over a month ago, and my .22 over two weeks ago. I paid for both guns and PTA’s outright, from the same dealer. Depending on how one reads the recent Vic FAQ I might get both or no guns cleared.
The .308 PTA cleared on exactly 28 days which was the very same day the ban on sales commenced, and LRD told my dealer that day he could not release that gun to me. So we waited. I emailed LRD with some polite enquiries. A couple of days ago DFO told my dealer to just go ahead and give me the gun, that same day, as I was driving to the gunshop, LRD replied to my questions in a polite way but meaningless way, basically confirming that at present I wouldn’t be able to get either gun. Clear as mud. I picked up the .308. I am hoping that the .22 will clear as well and I can pick that up on the 28th day after I paid for it but who the hell knows?

Personally, I don’t see any big conspiracy here, nor any concerted effort to wind back gun rights or ownership or anything, but then that’s not my thing- I just see this as a small part of the bigger mess amidst what is the government (state and national) scrambling to develop a broad response to the fundamentally changed and changing conditions. I’m annoyed, I’m a little put out, I’m confused, but then so is everyone right now about all myriad of important things, and in the bigger scheme of things my guns don’t matter all that much and I’m prepared to give them the benefit of doubt and try to be patient.
Hopefully with a bit more time they can take stock of all the feedback that is working its way through the system and formulate some better policy. Getting all red and screamy won’t help anyone.
But again, I might be biased, as I got my .308 and a trail cam on my private property is showing Sambar :lol:
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by cracker » 03 Apr 2020, 8:27 pm

if a tree falls in the woods... imo if i was on private property with my private property id do as i like, whos going to stop you.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Permie » 03 Apr 2020, 8:52 pm

As far as I can tell, at this level of lockdown, In Victoria hunting on your own private property is still entirely legal?
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 07 Apr 2020, 3:27 pm

From the office of Stephen Andrew, MP for Mirani:

" Attached below is the link to Steve’s E-Petition “Expand Ammunition Sales”. If you could please sign & share will all/any Queenslanders we would greatly appreciate your assistance!

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work- ... ls?id=3316

Since the E-Petition closes on the 06.05.2020 we need to act quickly to gain as many signatures as possible. Steve wants to send a message to the Queensland Premier that we are law abiding citizens & demand that she reinstate our firearm owners’ rights! "
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 07 Apr 2020, 5:32 pm

rc42 wrote:From the office of Stephen Andrew, MP for Mirani:

" Attached below is the link to Steve’s E-Petition “Expand Ammunition Sales”. If you could please sign & share will all/any Queenslanders we would greatly appreciate your assistance!

Since the E-Petition closes on the 06.05.2020 we need to act quickly to gain as many signatures as possible. Steve wants to send a message to the Queensland Premier that we are law abiding citizens & demand that she reinstate our firearm owners’ rights! "

Can admin move this to it's own post/subject so it doesn't get lost
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Apr 2020, 8:17 pm

Even though I am unaffected by the recently introduced restrictions on buying ammo etc,, I still signed the petition
in an effort to help those of you who are restricted by this totalitarian type move/legislation. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Shutdown COVID - Local Gun Shops

Post by JSS » 08 Apr 2020, 3:31 pm

I'll just leave this here for anyone who's a QLD resident. I received it in an email from Shooters Union.

Please sign & share
Petition to Expand Ammunition Sales during current COVID-19 Lockdown

As part of the fight against the draconian gun shop trade restrictions in Queensland, Mirani MP, Stephen Andrew has launched a petition to reverse the restrictions.

The fact a sitting MP has initiated the petition shows just how serious it is, so we are encouraging all our members, friends and supporters to sign the petition and share it with their friends and family.

It'll only take a moment but will be a big help.

JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by John » 08 Apr 2020, 5:13 pm

Gun shops seem to have plenty on hand at the moment but I definitely see the price rise coming and possibly a shut down of gun shops.
But the thing thats got me wounding is all speciality shops open in shopping centres that I think is stupid it’s just giving people more reason to be out window shopping because they have nothing to do from what I’ve seen on the tv I’ve steered clear of all them places we’ve all seen the self isolation means nothing and a certain group of people haven’t took any notice of it
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Apr 2020, 5:28 pm

A friend works at a Supercheap store.
She said in Friday’s, their normal take is around $5-10k.
Last Friday? They did $38k...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 08 Apr 2020, 5:54 pm

Keith a good bloke from the paint dept at my local bunnings told me after l asked that it was ridiculous the amount of people like me who are doing renos while being in lock down, he said they were running out of paint, l also remarked that l did not see the usual bunnings cheaper brands, he just smiled back at me
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Apr 2020, 5:55 pm

JSS wrote:I'll just leave this here for anyone who's a QLD resident. I received it in an email from Shooters Union.

Please sign & share
Petition to Expand Ammunition Sales during current COVID-19 Lockdown

As part of the fight against the draconian gun shop trade restrictions in Queensland, Mirani MP, Stephen Andrew has launched a petition to reverse the restrictions.

The fact a sitting MP has initiated the petition shows just how serious it is, so we are encouraging all our members, friends and supporters to sign the petition and share it with their friends and family.

It'll only take a moment but will be a big help.

l'm glad to see this happening at least in beautiful one day and perfect the next :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation