Genuine reason

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Genuine reason

Post by Aussie_Vic » 22 Sep 2021, 6:58 pm

G'day lads!

Just wondering with a "genuine reason" required.

I've been thinking about joining the SSAA for hunting and target shooting as my reasons since i'll be going with the old man who's now interested in doing comps and shooting at the range.

Trying to keep a cost to a minimum with SSAA being $350 and my local range being $240 a year but has both advantages and disadvantages.

There's another option...

Going with my local range as a reason, will need to ask if it's a recognised hunting club.

I do know the SSAA are a "recognised hunting club" but $11 annual "Expression of Interest to Hunt...etc" on Crown Land is another option.

I also have properties to hunt on.

Just having troubles deciding what to do.

Cheers,

for the suggestions and feedback.

:drinks: :drinks:
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Genuine reason

Post by bladeracer » 22 Sep 2021, 8:33 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:G'day lads!

I've been thinking about joining the SSAA for hunting and target shooting as my reasons since i'll be going with the old man who's now interested in doing comps and shooting at the range.

Trying to keep a cost to a minimum with SSAA being $350 and my local range being $240 a year but has both advantages and disadvantages.

Going with my local range as a reason, will need to ask if it's a recognised hunting club.

I do know the SSAA are a "recognised hunting club" but $11 annual "Expression of Interest to Hunt...etc" on Crown Land is another option.

Cheers,

If you have property permissions you don't need an club memberships, but if you intend to shoot at SSAA ranges I would join. I believe it reduces the range fees, but more importantly it supports the club. SSAA only costs me $128 per year, including the insurance.

The EOI is not annual, it is only needed when applying for or renewing a licence. There are no permits for hunting pest animals in Victoria, but you need a game licence for deer or duck.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 22 Sep 2021, 8:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Aussie_Vic wrote:G'day lads!

Cheers,

If you have property permissions you don't need an club memberships, but if you intend to shoot at SSAA ranges I would join. I believe it reduces the range fees, but more importantly it supports the club. SSAA only costs me $128 per year, including the insurance.

The EOI is not annual, it is only needed when applying for or renewing a licence. There are no permits for hunting pest animals in Victoria, but you need a game licence for deer or duck.

Cheers for the reply. Yes i'm planning to use the eagle park range.

Are you with a sub SSAA club with your fees?
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Sep 2021, 8:57 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:Cheers for the reply. Yes i'm planning to use the eagle park range.

Are you with a sub SSAA club with your fees?

I'm a member of SSAA East Gippsland, the range is at Buchan. I've never been to a SSAA range though. But if we don't support our clubs we won't have any.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Sep 2021, 4:34 am

Public liability insurance, damage , loss, theft
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Sep 2021, 6:58 pm

Don't get confused all you need is 1 of the following

A letter from the owner of a property you hunt on, preferably say,,,about 50 acres or bigger.

Or

$11 annual "Expression of Interest to Hunt...etc" on Crown Land

Or

A Game licence

Or

Club ( Ssaa) membership

Cheers,

To apply for licence you don't need Public liability insurance, damage , loss, theft.
But, sometimes a farmer may ask for it
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 23 Sep 2021, 7:15 pm

Go for a hunting reason not a target shooting reason as with hunting you are always allowed to shoot on a range. But with target shooting you can only shoot at the range and not in any other environment. Check out the police website for firearms they have a table that lays out the reasons and the places you can shoot at what.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2021, 8:30 pm

Larry wrote:Go for a hunting reason not a target shooting reason as with hunting you are always allowed to shoot on a range. But with target shooting you can only shoot at the range and not in any other environment. Check out the police website for firearms they have a table that lays out the reasons and the places you can shoot at what.

Have a read under Hunters.
"Holders of a firearms licence issued for the genuine reason of hunting, sport or target shooting or primary production are authorised to hunt on crown land if such hunting is authorised. "

If you only have Target or Sport you can practice for competition on private property, you cannot shoot competition events on private property.

But any application should include CatA and Cat B, and Hunting/Target. Otherwise you'll have to add them later.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 26 Sep 2021, 1:10 pm

Larry wrote:Go for a hunting reason not a target shooting reason as with hunting you are always allowed to shoot on a range. But with target shooting you can only shoot at the range and not in any other environment. Check out the police website for firearms they have a table that lays out the reasons and the places you can shoot at what.

Incorrect for VIC. I think other states only allow for the genuine reason, but in VIC you can go hunting on a target licence and vice versa.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 26 Sep 2021, 2:43 pm

dpskipper wrote:

Incorrect for VIC. I think other states only allow for the genuine reason, but in VIC you can go hunting on a target licence and vice versa.

Yes they do like to make it as complicated as possible. It’s not entirely vice versa though. You list genuine interest as both sport/target and hunting. You don’t have to only list one reason.
That way you’re covered should your interest take you elsewhere down the track.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 26 Sep 2021, 3:52 pm

womble wrote:
dpskipper wrote:

Yes they do like to make it as complicated as possible. It’s not entirely vice versa though. You list genuine interest as both sport/target and hunting. You don’t have to only list one reason.
That way you’re covered should your interest take you elsewhere down the track.

As I understand it, you can go hunting on a licence that ONLY has target shooting on it. And likewise you can attend the range on a hunting licence but can't necessarily compete in matches. This is for VIC only. I think NSW actually makes a distinction.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 26 Sep 2021, 5:10 pm

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Sep 2021, 5:16 pm

Thx womble. Spot on.

Before answering any questions regarding regs/law people should check the state the OP is in. Each state varies.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Sep 2021, 5:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Thx womble. Spot on.

Before answering any questions regarding regs/law people should check the state the OP is in. Each state varies.

Each state has it's own law forum now though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 28 Sep 2021, 7:30 pm

Any news or idea on when the SSAA is opening back up for regional? Gave them a call today but no luck.
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Sep 2021, 7:38 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:Any news or idea on when the SSAA is opening back up for regional? Gave them a call today but no luck.

No, but I was told the lockdown _is_ going to end October 26th...if they don't extend it again!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws