Getting your picture taken at Vicroads v/s Australia Post

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Getting your picture taken at Vicroads v/s Australia Post

Post by NewShooterGirl » 27 Dec 2019, 5:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new here

I applied for my firearm license (it feels like a light year ago now..)

And I have finally received my payment notice in the mail, yay

I have had to wait so long to sit the safety course, I have had to wait so long to wait for my doctor to come back from vacation to sign the referee part of my application etc, I would hate to delay the process even further

So I was wondering what's better? Is it better to get your picture taken at Vicroads? Or is it better to get your picture taken at Australia Post?
(In terms of; which way is faster? Which way speeds up the process more/more efficiently?)

I would love to speed up the process and finally receive my (plastic) actual firearm license in the mail and finally get all of this over and done with
As it's been such a long and tiring process :(

I hope someone here can help me with that :welcome:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Getting your picture taken at Vicroads v/s Australia Pos

Post by marksman » 27 Dec 2019, 10:23 pm

just go to what's easiest for you they are connected and it won't matter who takes the photo
good luck with it :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 27 Dec 2019, 10:23 pm

just go to what's easiest for you they are connected and it won't matter who takes the photo
good luck with it :thumbsup: :drinks:

:lol: not sure how l doubled up :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 27 Dec 2019, 10:29 pm

Are you allowed to get your photo taken at Australia Post?

I got told you could only get your photo taken at Vic Roads?
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Dec 2019, 10:35 pm

It doesn't matter where you go. It's all on the same computer system.

I went to the post office. Much easier than vicroads
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Dec 2019, 10:36 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Are you allowed to get your photo taken at Australia Post?

As long as it's a "photopoint" location
Member-Deleted

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 27 Dec 2019, 10:46 pm

Denno;
Ah interesting
I was definetely misinformed then
I got told you could only go to VicRoads to get your photo taken for your firearm license
In that case, I should've gone to the post office instead then
Always a long wait at VicRoads....
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Dec 2019, 10:59 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Are you allowed to get your photo taken at Australia Post?

I had to get a new photo for my driver's licence a few weeks ago and the PO said they can't do it and sent me to VicRoads. Only a ten-minute wait though, so was better than I'd been expecting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 27 Dec 2019, 11:01 pm

Thank you very much for the advice guys
However I am a tad confused now..
According to Vic Roads, Australia Post is a valid "license photo point"

So, can I get my photo taken at Australia Post or not?
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 28 Dec 2019, 12:17 am

take vicroads word for it.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Dec 2019, 4:01 am

G'day NewShooterGirl,
Not all Aus Post facilities are approved photopoints, Google search Vicroads Photo Points, it will bring up a downloadable PDF of locations showing which Aussie Post Offices are, as well as which Council/Shire Offices also do it, as well as all Pharmacies and Vicroads Offices Victoria wide that do Licence photos, Cheers and welcome to the ranks of Licenced Shooters.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 28 Dec 2019, 7:23 am

Ok
The Australia Post that I wanna go to to get my picture taken is listed by Vic Roads as a "valid license photo point"
I should be ok then
Thank you to everyone who helped :welcome:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 28 Dec 2019, 10:39 am

On my application it said the submitted photo must be no larger than certain meg size so being the dummy that I am I spent a week trying desperately to learn how to resize pics ( I have it sorted now ) but at the time the frustration was killing me. I spoke to somebody at weapons licence about it and she said don’t matter send in any size pic because we just resize them. Wish i knew that sooner!
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sarco » 28 Dec 2019, 6:58 pm

Mid year this year I renewed both my A&B and also H licences (sadly both due within 2 weeks of each other. At least it doesn't happen often - every 15 years?).

Included in the documentation was a list of VALID photopoints. While in central Vic, the local PO would have been the most convenient but it wasn't on the list. Only the regional VicRoads at either Bendigo or Seymour. I went to Bendigo, walked in took a ticket and was immediately called for action, pictures done and out of their within 10mins.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 29 Dec 2019, 9:49 am

Ok. Thank you to everyone who helped me with this :welcome: I went to my local westpac brach yesterday to make the full payment. I went to my local post office also to get my photo taken. (Luckily, my local post office was listed as a "valid approved photo point" by Vic Roads, so that's all good, everything went well)

How long will it take for me to receive my (plastic) license in the mail now? Does anyone know?
I dont think the police officers covered that during my safety course :thumbsdown: :violin:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by devin » 20 Jan 2023, 6:11 pm

NewShooterGirl wrote:Ok. Thank you to everyone who helped me with this :welcome: I went to my local westpac brach yesterday to make the full payment. I went to my local post office also to get my photo taken. (Luckily, my local post office was listed as a "valid approved photo point" by Vic Roads, so that's all good, everything went well)

How long will it take for me to receive my (plastic) license in the mail now? Does anyone know?
I dont think the police officers covered that during my safety course :thumbsdown: :violin:

Bit of a late reply. You would’ve obviously gotten your plastic license well before then, but how long did the license take to post to you? I’m currently 8 days into waiting for my license to arrive.
devin
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MRadd » 21 Jan 2023, 2:04 pm

NewShooterGirl wrote:

It took 11 calendar days (between the photo was taken at VicRoads office and getting a plastic in my mailbox) last December
MRadd
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by devin » 24 Jan 2023, 2:04 am

MRadd wrote:
NewShooterGirl wrote:

It took 11 calendar days (between the photo was taken at VicRoads office and getting a plastic in my mailbox) last December

That doesn’t sound too bad. Currently 12 days in on waiting for it to arrive :crazy: Hopefully It’ll be in the mail today once I wake up.
devin
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws