Gun storage

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Gun storage

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Mar 2017, 11:21 am

scaredyet wrote:I have my safe in my unit built in and only held by two screws in the wall. Should I get more out in

NSW minimum requirement is 4. See my previous post above for specs.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 07 Mar 2017, 11:32 am

A local who has a large collection of firearms.40 plus purchased the safe off a closing down commonwealth bank and placed it on a slab and built the house around it and it was knocked back because it was not bolted down.Problem being it will be hard to drill holes in.Thats being a little over the top.I moved and refixed my basic buffalo river gun safe with 40 mm washers and 10x75 mm coach bolts and took pictures and sent it off and 3 days later received PTA 3 more firearms
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Mar 2017, 12:13 pm

bladeracer wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:
happyhunter wrote:..... I'd go with Aussie made Lokaway safes.

You sure??

https://wholesaleinvestor.com.au/lokaway-locks-a-partnership-with-aipu-chinas-largest-safe-manufacturing-company/

oh bless the chinese.... without their manufacturing we would have nothing.... not socks, not jocks, not electronics, empty Bunnings warehouses and not even gun safes.... and double bless our politicians who create the environment and promote our service industries....and dirt export enterprises... :evil:

You can find Aussie safes, I believe theyre made in regional Vic, can't recall the town.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by scaredyet » 07 Mar 2017, 3:36 pm

I have an electronic code safe with ammo compartment that has a key. Can I keep the ammo key on the door or do I have to hide the master key and the ammo key. The main safe has a key in case the battery dies out.

At the moment I keep everything inside because you need a code to open the safe
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Mar 2017, 5:40 pm

I'd keep them elsewhere. The legislation always reverts back to "reasonable steps". If someone breaks into your safe and then finds keys that make entry into other "secure" places easier, you'll be the one with the explaining to do. Stupid I know, but butt covering is the way to go I reckon.
Also, if you lock your "over-ride" master key in there and you do have flat batteries, you have a problem.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 07 Mar 2017, 6:52 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Also, if you lock your "over-ride" master key in there and you do have flat batteries, you have a problem.

Some safes provide a backup option to still use the keypad even if the batteries are dead. On my home safe there are two contact pads on the front of the keypad where someone can push a 9V battery against the contact points to give enough power to the unit for the keypad to work, thus allowing you to with the other hand punch in the code and unlock the safe.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 08 Mar 2017, 8:06 am

I'll sort it out tonight I don't want no trouble due to my stupidity
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Mar 2017, 9:11 am

Not suggesting you do this. But you could cut the heads off a couple of bolts and glue them on inside of the safe..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 08 Mar 2017, 9:21 am

Or you could push the SOB into the safe and close it. ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Mar 2017, 9:36 am

Title I like your thinking, but the smell.... it's in his bedroom..

The smell will be bad.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 08 Mar 2017, 2:25 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Not suggesting you do this. But you could cut the heads off a couple of bolts and glue them on inside of the safe..

You know what, I actually did think of that but didn't want to get flamed here
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2017, 2:37 pm

scaredyet wrote:You know what, I actually did think of that but didn't want to get flamed here

I'd be more concerned about losing my licence and firearms to save $10 worth of coach screws.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jandamurra » 08 Mar 2017, 3:44 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Not suggesting you do this. But you could cut the heads off a couple of bolts and glue them on inside of the safe..

No further questions Your Honour lol.
Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to do all that's now expected of us in the name of safety (read: denying quick access to our own guns in an emergency).
I want to return to the days when you could have your guns on a rack on the lounge room wall.
Wouldn't that be great?
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 08 Mar 2017, 5:03 pm

I appreciate I am a plumbing contractor with all the drills and ability but serious people you have to buy or build a suitable storage container/gun safe that complies to the easily read instructions and bolt it to wall/ floor with 4 suitable bolts/coach screws.It can be done for $300AUD or less if you get a second hand gunsafe of gumtree.Takes about 1 hour
What is this emergency you need quick access,If you are having problems with cats or foxes keep you firearm loaded and with you.Its legal to have your lic firearm with you just dont leave it lying around for someone else to get and you are all good
.I remember how cool it was to have my 12g Greener on the wall above the fireplace but house breakins for drugs are on the up and it takes a bit of explaining where your shotguns gone.
.I had my safe ripped off the wall at Burringarrah remote Aborigional community.They used my plumbing tools to break it open in the bush and shot off all my ammo at the tip.I was not charged with anything and Meekatharra police recovered all my stuff by bargaining with the perps and I went and got it all back from the police station
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by scaredyet » 09 Mar 2017, 12:11 pm

So I did the extra two dynabolts last night, it was pretty easy. The only problem is when I tighten the nut the bolt keeps coming through and it doesn't seem to tighten up. I put it through a brick wall. I used 10mm bolts and drilled 10mm as well. Do I keep trying to tighten or just leave it as is.

İt seems to be pretty sturdy
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 09 Mar 2017, 2:17 pm

Sounds like you have drilled into the hollow part of the brick which normal house bricks have.
You have a couple of options.
Keep tightening it may lock up or you may run out of thread and if so add washes and try again. May work and may not.
Or
Remove the safe to get proper access to the dyna bolt then gently push in the bolt part a little bit to you get access to the selve. Try to pull the sleve out then the flared bolt part. If success full you can then either use all thread and whats called chemset and glue them in, once cured very strong. Or you can get coach bolts that are designed to screw straight into brick / concrete and secure it that way.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Mar 2017, 4:07 pm

Hole is too big.
Go up in size to 12mm anchors, or redrill smaller hole
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by scaredyet » 09 Mar 2017, 6:11 pm

Do the cops check to see if they are tight, if not then it's sweet I don't need to do anything else
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2017, 6:55 pm

scaredyet wrote:Do the cops check to see if they are tight, if not then it's sweet I don't need to do anything else

I would think so - if they're not tight they might as well not be in there.
Same riding a motorcycle with your helmet strap not done up.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 09 Mar 2017, 7:37 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Hole is too big.

That's what she said!

scaredyet wrote:Do the cops check to see if they are tight, if not then it's sweet I don't need to do anything else

I'll check if your sweet Sheilas are tight if that is a need :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by scaredyet » 09 Mar 2017, 10:04 pm

Turn it up guys, I'm just going to glue the heads and over with it
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Mar 2017, 3:16 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Hole is too big.
Go up in size to 12mm anchors, or redrill smaller hole

I agree.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 10 Mar 2017, 4:56 am

I found a gun the other day. I was like, "Oh, cool!"

When people bring kids or toddlers over I have to take inventory and gather everything up. I keep most of the stuff in the safe. But I have a kitchen gun that my family knows where it is, it is a Mossberg 9200. My family is from Jersey and they are shotgun people because they can't hunt with rifles there (barf). Then I have the guns on my person (nothing to worry about) and a rifle or SMG. But every once in a while I take something out to admire it and end up sticking it somewhere, or leave a handgun in a range bag.

Oh, no motorcycle helmets. Our local cops are not even allowed to use radar. Some call us Pennsyltucky :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 10 Mar 2017, 11:13 am

Any IT jobs there?? I am packing my bags..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 10 Mar 2017, 12:04 pm

replace the dynabolts with 12mm nylon rawl plugs and screw in coach bolts.Dynabolts are for concrete and solid brick.If you get inspected and they give it a push and it wobbles they will have an issue
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 10 Mar 2017, 1:33 pm

Forget the cops..... are YOU happy with the Job? If YOU can move the cabinet, and pry it out, then YOU should not be satisfied with the security of YOUR property.... if so.... remove and start again...

Coach screws for timber, Dynabolts (or similar) for brick or concrete ARE SECURE.... but install them properly.

Dynabolt - drill the correct hole so that the anchor can be pushed in 'with a little bit of force'.... oversied hole means they are useless....

For masonry you can also use the anka type screw.... I've use them for one safe only.... theyre quick to install and seem to be pretty foolproof (this fool anyway) but thats all my experience with them....

Coach screw (for timber studs) - use a decent size, go up 2 sizes than what you think you need....drill a pilot (particularly for hardwood) about shank size (not thread!) or a smidge smaller or else THEY WILL SNAP OFF....(yes... been there) 1/4inch ratchet driver is the go.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 10 Mar 2017, 3:06 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Any IT jobs there?? I am packing my bags..

Unfortunately, yes. I thought those people were going to eat it in 2000 but they made quite a comeback. Making sure our current products no longer work so they can sell us the same crap in a different dress.

I have friends in the business and they do well, many working for themselves.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by scaredyet » 10 Mar 2017, 4:09 pm

I watched a couple YouTube videos aand each one said to use the same size drill as the bolt you will use. So I bought 10mm bolt and 10mm drill. Lucky cause the holes on the back of my safe were 10mm as well. İf I try and use 12mm bolts this time I will have to make the holes in the safe bigger which I don't want to do.

I will keep as is because it's pretty solid, the only thing is that the nuts get tight but not too tight that it stops spinning.

İf you give the safe a pull it's not going anywhere.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 10 Mar 2017, 4:30 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:

Forget the cops..... are YOU happy with the Job? If YOU can move the cabinet, and pry it out, then YOU should not be satisfied with the security of YOUR property.... if so.... remove and start again...

:thumbsup:

Much better to satisfy yourself than the cops :lol:

Seriously though, my personal storage standard is substantially higher than the law requires of me !
After all the last thing that I would want is mine getting stolen, potentially giving the antis something to use against us... Just the way I look at it :unknown:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Title_II » 10 Mar 2017, 5:54 pm

I know I hail from a different culture, but my Aussie mates did once, too.

I don't want to step on any toes, but do you mates realize how absolutely absurd it is to be required to have the police come inside your home to inspect your firearm storage? It is an insult to human dignity. A human rights violation. I hope your kids haven't become numb to this because "it's always been that way." This garbage gets programmed into people.

You should be inspecting THEIR guns. Making sure they are properly maintained, what you spent your money on, and no more or no less than what is necessary for the job.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Victorian gun laws