My first PTA (Victoria) newbie questions

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

My first PTA (Victoria) newbie questions

Post by Pepito » 26 Feb 2019, 2:09 pm

Local gun dealer has just lodged an application for a PTA (online) for three guns I am being given by an uncle.

Few questions hoping somebody can answer :-)

1. Once they are approved (after 28 days) will the PTA's be sent to the gun dealer who lodged them on my behalf or will they be mailed to me?

2. Since this gun dealer lodged my application on my behalf do I now have to go back to him to buy and/or transfer guns or can I go anywhere else if I like?

3. Will I receive three separate PTA's that I can use at different times or will I receive one PTA with three guns listed that I'll have to use at same time ?

Thanks in advance 8-)
Pepito
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: My first PTA (Victoria) newbie questions

Post by Pepito » 25 Mar 2019, 3:36 pm

OK it's been 28 days so I'll answer my own questions in case it helps somebody else:

1. No, as the application was online the approval comes back to the dealer online (no paper version).

2. Yes (unfortunately) you can only use the PTA's at the same dealer who lodged the application on your behalf.

3. Three separate PTA's that can be used at different times but they expire if not used after a period of time.
Last edited by Pepito on 25 Mar 2019, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepito
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: My first PTA (Victoria) newbie questions

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2019, 4:09 pm

Pepito wrote:3. Three separate PTA's that can be used at different times but they expire if not used after a period of time.

I don't know the details, but when we were waiting for my rifles to arrive from South Africa my dealer put my already-cleared PtA's "into the system" so they wouldn't expire. I have no idea what that involved but it meant they were still good four months down the track when the rifles showed up.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws