Numbers- re Licenses and Firearms

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Numbers- re Licenses and Firearms

Post by Madang185 » 23 Mar 2019, 1:32 pm

It is of interest that the actual numbers of licensed firearm owners and the firearms themselves are never mentioned by Politicians, the Police and the media.
All three entities know we are not the problem but we continue to be blamed for everything.
Could it possibly be that the numbers are in fact an embarrassment?
When you consider the number of licensed owners real crimes committed by the same owners are a very small percentage
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Numbers- re Licenses and Firearms

Post by zhuk » 23 Mar 2019, 5:33 pm

The SSAA quotes about 800,000 roughly

Which is still only about 5% of the adult population
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Madang185 » 24 Mar 2019, 9:35 am

In reply to Zhuk.
The number of 800,000 surfaced many years ago and has never appeared to change.
Look up the CrimTrac annual report for 2017-2018, PFD version on the top of page 123
Do the sums again, what percentage of the voting population hold legal firearm licenses?
The figures are just slightly incorrect as some are multiple licenses holders
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Mar 2019, 11:26 am

Page 123

During 2017–18: 305,298 searches were conducted
there was a total of 6.29 million firearm records
there was a total of 2.08 million licence records
the system was available 99.8 per cent of the time.

https://acic.govcms.gov.au/sites/g/files/net3726/f/acic_2017-18_ar_digital.pdf?v=1539748074

Previous report from 2015-16 on page 63

Year 2012–13 2013–14 2014–15 2015–16
Total number of firearms 4.6 million 3.7 million 5,087,765 5,798,980
Total number of licences 1.7 million 1.5 million 1,912,188 1,973,522

https://www.acic.gov.au/sites/g/files/net1491/f/2016/10/crimtrac_ar_2015-16_final_071016.pdf
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Madang185 » 25 Mar 2019, 4:29 pm

Initially I raised this question of numbers because of the voting implications. I suggest this is now proven to be correct when one looks at the result of the NSW election. When you look at where the Shooters Fishers and Farmer party won seats the implication is clear. Of course there were other issues in the bush such as water.

But I would also suggest that farmers who use firearms on an every day basis and other firearm users are finally delivering a message via the ballot box. It is claimed by former Prime Minister Howard that Australian shooters want US style gun laws.

I disagree and have NEVER heard an Australian legal firearm owner make such a claim. Australian shooters want sane sensible gun laws that attack criminals. One week ago in Melbourne over 3 days there were 6 shooting incidents.

We the licensed shooters are not the problem, the Police, Media and Politicians know this but they continue to attack us instead of the criminals. Meantime the ABC and the politicians continue to shake there collective heads and do not understand why it could possibly happen.
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2019, 5:28 pm

Madang185 wrote:Initially I raised this question of numbers because of the voting implications. I suggest this is now proven to be correct when one looks at the result of the NSW election. When you look at where the Shooters Fishers and Farmer party won seats the implication is clear. Of course there were other issues in the bush such as water.

But I would also suggest that farmers who use firearms on an every day basis and other firearm users are finally delivering a message via the ballot box. It is claimed by former Prime Minister Howard that Australian shooters want US style gun laws.

I disagree and have NEVER heard an Australian legal firearm owner make such a claim. Australian shooters want sane sensible gun laws that attack criminals. One week ago in Melbourne over 3 days there were 6 shooting incidents.

We the licensed shooters are not the problem, the Police, Media and Politicians know this but they continue to attack us instead of the criminals. Meantime the ABC and the politicians continue to shake there collective heads and do not understand why it could possibly happen.

Anybody than even utters the term "US-style gun laws" has no concept of what he's talking about as there is no such thing. Just as our laws vary state by state, so does the US, and they have fifty different iterations of gun law. Some are less strict than some of ours, some are more strict.

I was trying to educate somebody last week that "has no problems with people owning firearms", despite it being "akin to a communicable disease"...clearly meaning he actually has no respect at all for gun owners. This same mental midget believes semi-auto rifles are rightfully banned because they are only used in crime and warfare, despite them being virtually non-existent in crime, outside of the obvious terrorist attacks which will never be affected by any gun laws. Anti-gun people are morons arguing from an entirely hypothetical point of view about a subject they have zero understanding or knowledge of. Like religious nutters that have to do their worshipping in the public eye for it to have any value, these nut jobs are just virtue signalling to stroke their own egos.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Mar 2019, 9:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Madang185 wrote:Initially I raised this question of numbers because of the voting implications. I suggest this is now proven to be correct when one looks at the result of the NSW election. When you look at where the Shooters Fishers and Farmer party won seats the implication is clear. Of course there were other issues in the bush such as water.

Anybody than even utters the term "US-style gun laws" has no concept of what he's talking about as there is no such thing. Just as our laws vary state by state, so does the US, and they have fifty different iterations of gun law. Some are less strict than some of ours, some are more strict.

I was trying to educate somebody last week that "has no problems with people owning firearms", despite it being "akin to a communicable disease"...clearly meaning he actually has no respect at all for gun owners. This same mental midget believes semi-auto rifles are rightfully banned because they are only used in crime and warfare, despite them being virtually non-existent in crime, outside of the obvious terrorist attacks which will never be affected by any gun laws. As nti-gun people are morons arguing from an entirely hypothetical point of view about a subject they have zero understanding or knowledge of. Like religious nutters that have to do their worshipping in the public eye for it to have any value, these nut jobs are just virtue signalling to stroke their own egos.
. :thumbsup: yep well said

Re the highlighted part, the one thing the anti’s miss is their own hypocrisy, when a firearm is used in a crime, they are straight into blaming the gun, when some other object is used, they rightfully blame the person, the stupidity of their argument goes straight over their pointy heads.
Member-Deleted

Post by Baronvonrort » 25 Mar 2019, 10:05 pm

This map shows how NSW voted. :drinks:
Attachments
D2ZH4HHUcAAy3XT.png
D2ZH4HHUcAAy3XT.png (570.59 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 25 Mar 2019, 10:31 pm

That is fantastic news
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Mar 2019, 9:50 am

And not one of them stood on a pro-firearms platform. Basically a strong protest vote against the Nats about water, health infrastructure, forced council amalgamations, etc.
Thinking this bunch is going to do something for firearms owners is like p!ssing into a stong wind and enjoying the shower.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2019, 3:23 pm

Gamerancher wrote:And not one of them stood on a pro-firearms platform. Basically a strong protest vote against the Nats about water, health infrastructure, forced council amalgamations, etc.
Thinking this bunch is going to do something for firearms owners is like p!ssing into a stong wind and enjoying the shower.

I'm unconvinced that they'll support us when the chips are down, but I am convinced we're in a better position with them there than without them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws