Victorian Permit to Acquire time / Bunnings safe storage?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Victorian Permit to Acquire time / Bunnings safe storage?

Post by garymck » 24 Apr 2019, 9:56 am

Hi,
first post here :-)

Have just received my Victorian Shooter's Licence. I applied for a Permit to Acquire at the same time as I submitted my licence application, and was wondering how long it is likely to be before it arrives?

Also, would a gun safe from Bunnings like the one linked below be regarded as adequate legally?:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford- ... e_p4211461

cheers
and thanks for any assistance
Gary
Geelong
garymck
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Victorian Permit to Acquire time / Bunnings safe storage

Post by marksman » 24 Apr 2019, 5:47 pm

hey Gary
your first permit to acquire will take 28 days to process once they get it but any after will be dependant on how busy they are

and yes the local Geelong DFO likes the bunnings gun safes so they are adequate and legal,
the 28 days give's you time to get the safe and get it installed ready for use :thumbsup:

what are you buying first
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by garymck » 24 Apr 2019, 6:11 pm

Hi,
thanks for the reply... Since I applied for my permit to acquire at the same time as applying for my licence, I hope I won't have too long to wait....

I'm very interested in air rifles, particularly in bench rest target and field target, so will be looking at a PCP, not sure what to buy as I haven't been able to find any mentor in Geelong - emailed SSAV, but they didn't bother replying...Nor did the target club in Geelong.....

Could go cheaper and buy something under 1k, but very temp[ted by something that is better quality (buy once, have pain once?)

Problem is, I can't find anywhere to try anything out, so purchase will be a bit hit and miss. A little wary as I'm retired and have limited funds to spend...
cheers
Gary
Geelong
garymck
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 24 Apr 2019, 8:05 pm

see if you can contact Peter Van Meurs, 130 Clyde Rd, Bannockburn, VIC 3331 (03) 5281 1173
he should be able to help you out
unless you call head office for the ssaa I dont think you will get an answer
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 24 Apr 2019, 9:39 pm

You can get a bigger spika for not much more than the Bunnings ones. Bigger safe means you have more time before you have to buy another.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by garymck » 24 Apr 2019, 9:42 pm

thanks for the contact, I'll see what I can find..
cheers
Gary
Geelong
garymck
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hunter257 » 26 Apr 2019, 2:39 pm

Wombat wrote:You can get a bigger spika for not much more than the Bunnings ones. Bigger safe means you have more time before you have to buy another.

to f'ing true.
Bought a 3 gun safe first and what a mistake that was.
Got a Hy-Skor 12 gun safe and that's starting to fill.
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Apr 2019, 3:12 pm

Spika and lokaway are both very popular. And they all exagerste their gun capacity.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Apr 2019, 4:44 pm

G'day garymck,
Welcome to the forum. no one shoots a traditional benchrest for air in Australia, but a supported rifle match is shot under ISSF rules by Target Rifle Victoria. Who did you contact in Geelong, Geelong Rifle Club or Target Rifle Geelong? One is a VRA full bore club and may not respond to queries outside their discipline, and Geelong TR may be closed for Easter. Geelong TR does not operate under SSAA but rather their parent body Target Rifle Victoria so it may be better to contact them. As marksman pointed out your application will take a minimum of 28 days for receipt by LRD and you will need to factor in the Public Holidays, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 26 Apr 2019, 10:23 pm

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by garymck » 28 Apr 2019, 8:59 am

Thanks for the replies again guys.

PTA has arrived, also contacted Geelong's DFO to ask if my proposed storage was OK and got a quick answer that it was perfect, so happy about that.

I emailed Geelong's Target Rifle contact per their web site and got no reply......may contact them again and see if I get any further....

Now have to make a decision on what to buy - going to post another thread :-)

cheers
Gary
garymck
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Question on the calculation of the 28 days for a permit to a

Post by gprasada » 13 Sep 2023, 10:04 am

Hi, I recently bought my first CAT A firearm and have had my gun license for about 4 years. I had to get a gun shop to handle the gun sale and PTA application since this was the first firearm. My PTA application was sent by the gun shop to LRD on 21st August and was approved by the Vic Licensing & Regulations department on 22nd August (the department confirmed that over the phone), my confusion is around the calculation of the 28 days before I can go pick the gun up from the gun shop. Do they include the weekends when calculating 28 days? I got differing answers from the department and the gun shop. The gun shop says that weekends are excluded so the permit would come by 27th September but the LRD said the permit would be with the gun shop in their email around 18th September.

Any help clarifying this would be greatly appreciated as I was trying to make plans with a mate to get onto a range to get started
gprasada
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws