Walther PPK laws Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Walther PPK laws Victoria

Post by Tom2000 » 22 May 2019, 7:10 pm

Hi all, I’m wondering if anyone knows if you can legally buy/own a Walther PPK in Victoria? I’m looking at joining a pistol Shooting club but have heard that you can’t own them because they are a concealed carry gun.
Thanks for any help!!
Tom2000
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Walther PPK laws Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 23 May 2019, 7:02 am

Bond, James Bond, is that you?
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2019, 7:26 am

Tom2000 wrote:Hi all, I’m wondering if anyone knows if you can legally buy/own a Walther PPK in Victoria? I’m looking at joining a pistol Shooting club but have heard that you can’t own them because they are a concealed carry gun.
Thanks for any help!!

Only on a Collector's Licence I think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 23 May 2019, 7:51 am

If you want a Walther, get the PPS or PP Sport . Mine had a 8 inch barrel in ,22RF
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 May 2019, 7:51 am

G'day Tom2000,
No such thing as a prohibition based on a handguns ability to carried concealed, whoever told you that is just wrong. In Victoria, and all other States to my knowledge, there is a barrel length restriction on handguns for sporting purposes, which for revolvers is 100mm and for semi-auto is 120mm. The PPK would not be legal due to it's short barrel but if you had a 120mm barrel fitted by a gunsmith you could legally own it. There is also a Chief Commissioners exemption from this part of the Act generally based on medical reasons but very, very difficult to get, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 May 2019, 11:22 am

Check the regulations concerning "Collectors" in Vic as you can own that pistol as a collector and I believe in Vic they even have collectors club days where you can shoot them. You'll probably find that none of the small pistols are approved for matches so you can't compete with one. In NSW you have to be a member of a collectors club for at least 1 year before you can purchase a post 46' handgun. I have several "small" pistols on my collectors but unfortunately under NSW regulations cannot shoot them, which is fine by me as I bought them for financial gain down the track.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 23 May 2019, 8:41 pm

yes you can own one on a collectors license, they are expensive walther pp can be found easy enough though.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 23 May 2019, 10:49 pm

The PPK is a great gun for collecting and looking at, not so much for shooting. They pound the web of your hand and some, depending on the size of their hand or how they grip, have slide bite issues.

Walther just put the PPK back in production to meet US laws, with some German parts and some made in Arkansas, USA. Previously the PPK was banned from import due to it's small size.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 May 2019, 4:29 am

G'day brett1868,
You are correct, clubs can apply for a permit to use collectible firearms at nominated events, but the post '46 thing is a little more complex. We have 2 categories of Collectors Licence, Cat 1 allows longarms and pre- 47 handguns only and you must be a member for 6 months before the club can sign off on your licence application, Cat 2 allows all firearms but to get Cat 2 you must have your Cat 1 for no less than 2 years and collect, and hold a minimum of 10 pre-47 handguns. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 24 May 2019, 9:13 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day brett1868,
You are correct, clubs can apply for a permit to use collectible firearms at nominated events, but the post '46 thing is a little more complex. We have 2 categories of Collectors Licence, Cat 1 allows longarms and pre- 47 handguns only and you must be a member for 6 months before the club can sign off on your licence application, Cat 2 allows all firearms but to get Cat 2 you must have your Cat 1 for no less than 2 years and collect, and hold a minimum of 10 pre-47 handguns. Cheers.

Finally, something that's easier in NSW compared to Vic :) We have only 1 class "Cat G" and there's no requirements to own pre-46' pistols in order to buy post-46' providing you have held that category >1 year. The best bit is no sign off required for PTA's though a downside is that PTA's take from 4-6 weeks to arrive in the mail :( I'm waiting on a new Walther PPK in .380ACP to arrive in a month or so.

Picked this little guy up recently, S&W Bodyguard with Crimson Trace Laser in .380ACP.
Bodyguard.JPG
Bodyguard.JPG (150.19 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dabi » 19 Jun 2019, 11:52 pm

brett1868 wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:G'day brett1868,

Finally, something that's easier in NSW compared to Vic :) We have only 1 class "Cat G" and there's no requirements to own pre-46' pistols in order to buy post-46' providing you have held that category >1 year. The best bit is no sign off required for PTA's though a downside is that PTA's take from 4-6 weeks to arrive in the mail :( I'm waiting on a new Walther PPK in .380ACP to arrive in a month or so.

Picked this little guy up recently, S&W Bodyguard with Crimson Trace Laser in .380ACP.
Bodyguard.JPG

wait you can get compact pistols there?
large capacity fully auto military style assault flintlock
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 22 Jun 2019, 5:59 pm

There was a 22 semi auto called a phenix that looks the similar to a PPK, they also make a long barrel for it; they were imported in after the gun laws changed here. They only thing that would make a PPK eligible for club shooting is a barrel over 120mm and magazine cap 10 or under.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Victorian gun laws