Ammunition address?? (Vic)

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Ammunition address?? (Vic)

Post by Rambo474 » 04 Jun 2019, 10:13 pm

Hi everyone, I am having a little dilemma and been searching all day with no luck, I have bought my first rifle and am keeping it at Kennards in a gun safe (live in rental cant put safe in), I have also filled the ammo safe that Kennard gave me and have some left over, question is can I keep the excess ammo at home? As long as it's stored safely in a locked box out of sight say in a closet in a plastic lockbox with a padlock? As far as the police are concerned though my firearm is locked up at Kennards with some ammo. Do I have to let them know that I also have some ammo stored at home at a different address to the gun ?

Cheers
Rambo474
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Ammunition address?? (Vic)

Post by doc » 05 Jun 2019, 11:10 am

Don't think you'll have any problems keeping the ammunition at home. Only requirement is a locked box. No safe required. No bolting / tiedowns.

Even a toolbox with a padlock would suffice legal requirements. Firearm address has no bearing on ammunition storage. I have known some people with a firearms license, no firearm itself but ammunition (as they borrow / use a family members gun stored elsewhere).
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Rambo474 » 05 Jun 2019, 11:51 am

doc wrote:Don't think you'll have any problems keeping the ammunition at home. Only requirement is a locked box. No safe required. No bolting / tiedowns.

Even a toolbox with a padlock would suffice legal requirements. Firearm address has no bearing on ammunition storage. I have known some people with a firearms license, no firearm itself but ammunition (as they borrow / use a family members gun stored elsewhere).

Thank you for the quick answer, I was thinking the same but always helps to get a secound opinion.
Cheers
Rambo474
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2019, 12:03 pm

Rambo474 wrote:Hi everyone, I am having a little dilemma and been searching all day with no luck, I have bought my first rifle and am keeping it at Kennards in a gun safe (live in rental cant put safe in), I have also filled the ammo safe that Kennard gave me and have some left over, question is can I keep the excess ammo at home? As long as it's stored safely in a locked box out of sight say in a closet in a plastic lockbox with a padlock? As far as the police are concerned though my firearm is locked up at Kennards with some ammo. Do I have to let them know that I also have some ammo stored at home at a different address to the gun ?

Cheers

No. As long as it's in a locked container it's of no interest to Police.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws